LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 162 users in the forums

if Franklin returns, what does our d-line look like?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

if Franklin returns, what does our d-line look like?

The line will be one less thing to worry about and Soap might be the odd man out. Then again. I expect him to rotate in a lot.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd just say no to Franklin and save the money to sign Goldston.
Originally posted by WildBill:
The line will be one less thing to worry about and Soap might be the odd man out. Then again. I expect him to rotate in a lot.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd just say no to Franklin and save the money to sign Goldston.

not a bad idea, though I would of rather it go towards a CB. We are hurtin for certain.
fat
Much will depend on Franklin's physical self when he visits. They will check him out and if he looks trim and conditioned, then they will talk numbers. If he's looking fat and sloppy, then they will have security throw him into the dumpsters.

I know it's an eye-roll of a thought, but IF we do get him back?

Justin Smith ---- Isaac Sopoaga ----- Aubrayo Franklin ----- Aldon Smith

4 DL !!!! Gotta put your money players on the field.

RayMac would be assured that he will get lots of snaps as he rotates into multiple spots. Get Justin and Ray back down to 280 lbs.
we dont need that bum back, we need to use our money on CB, WR, RB, RG, OLB
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Much will depend on Franklin's physical self when he visits. They will check him out and if he looks trim and conditioned, then they will talk numbers. If he's looking fat and sloppy, then they will have security throw him into the dumpsters.

RayMac would be assured that he will get lots of snaps as he rotates into multiple spots. Get Justin and Ray back down to 280 lbs.

linebackers?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Can we hit the "reset" button on free agency? Are we really going to have a rotational DE make $3.8 million? Just another sign the guys upstairs don't have much upstairs.

i believe that soap is in the last year of his deal. this is ideally what you want when trying to build a successful team. you want players on the way up while others are on the way out. just like ray mac and soap. also soap is versatile and can play the nose. i dont see a problem.

on a side note, whats the deal with franklin not being pursued by many teams? those that have enquired havent shown to much interest in him. last i heard kc was marginally interested. whats the cause for this? does he want to much money or does the rest of the nfl just tink he isnt very good? no doubt he is the top fa NT this year. i personally have never been wowed buy franklin. i think id be happier with soap if we stay with the 1 gap scheme.

Sopoaga is signed through this year and next year.

Why does that matter if they can just cut him without taking a cap hit?
Our D Line would be decent with Franklin. I am certain that is he does re-sign with the 9ers he will be starting at NT no questions asked. He is a great run stopper. I think Ray McDonald will start at DE and Sopoaga will be thrown in the DE rotation/backup NT

Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

linebackers?

SLB - re-sign Manny Lawson or we are forced roll with Brooks (who I prefer for depth at RDE)
MLB - Willis, McKillop
WLB - Bowman, Gibson
Can we hit the "reset" button on free agency? Are we really going to have a rotational DE make $3.8 million? Just another sign the guys upstairs don't have much upstairs.

I disagree the added depth will give us a safety net when one of our starting D-Lineman inevitably goes down with an injury.
Say you lose Franklin for a couple games, just start Sopoaga at NT. Say you lose J. Smith for a couple games, just start Sopoaga in his abscense. Not only will the depth on D line keep us fresh but it will keep us from having to start a guy like Ricky Jean Francoise at NT if Sopoaga ever got injured.Our front office may be patient to a fault but they are not clueless.
  • dj43
Originally posted by andes14:
For 2011 at least, it almost makes sense to run a 4-3. We lost Spikes so we don't have a bona fide inside 'backer to play next to Willis, and we could then run Franklin and Sope at d-tackle and J. Smith and McDonald at d-end. Though long-term we still are best suited to run a 3-4 with Aldon as an outside 'backer and 3-4 d-end seems to be Justin's best postion.

While that IS an interesting idea, it only points out that the 49ers are still 2 or 3 players away from being able to run either system well. They are stuck in the middle and will continue to be there for another year or two.
Originally posted by goodthings19:

I disagree the added depth will give us a safety net when one of our starting D-Lineman inevitably goes down with an injury.
Say you lose Franklin for a couple games, just start Sopoaga at NT. Say you lose J. Smith for a couple games, just start Sopoaga in his abscense. Not only will the depth on D line keep us fresh but it will keep us from having to start a guy like Ricky Jean Francoise at NT if Sopoaga ever got injured.Our front office may be patient to a fault but they are not clueless.

Didn't the giants the last few seasons, and possibly the eagles rotate a lot of guys on their Dline?

Giants were after teh Qb's big time last year.
Nothing wrong with investing in the trenches
Share 49ersWebzone