There are 118 users in the forums

Crabtree has a foot injury...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I believe the zone has a foot doctor or two in the house. Can anyone of you guys shed some light on what might be going on?

I'm going to get bashed for this....but.........If X-rays are negative and there is no bruising, maybe the issue is his heart? As in, if he's not getting the ball, he convienently pulls himself. It's funny that he goes down shortly after Alex decided not to throw to him in the endzone. He was clearly upset. I think this dude is trying to get cut. I've never heard of a foot injury that has no visable signs of trama.

Maybe, but a couple of years ago I could barely walk but there were no signs of trama, no swelling, no bruising, etc. Learned that my problems could be cured by doing a particular stretching exercise and was cured a week later. So, I'm not going to blast the guy and call him a faker without any proof. Feet have more bones that a truck load of chickens so don't jump to conclusions.
  • dj43
I believe the zone has a foot doctor or two in the house. Can anyone of you guys shed some light on what might be going on?

I'm going to get bashed for this....but.........If X-rays are negative and there is no bruising, maybe the issue is his heart? As in, if he's not getting the ball, he convienently pulls himself. It's funny that he goes down shortly after Alex decided not to throw to him in the endzone. He was clearly upset. I think this dude is trying to get cut. I've never heard of a foot injury that has no visable signs of trama.

Here is a post I put in another thread:

I just read in Barrows column that "Crabtree told reporters Sunday that his left foot hadn't fully healed since the last fracture, which occurred on June 6, and that he was in so much pain yesterday he thought it might have been broken again."

If this is true and I were Jed York, I would fire every doctor and trainer that had anything to do with that decision. Such a decision is nothing short of malpractice.
In my current work I am involved with podiatrists almost every day where I build orthotics (inserts into shoes to support feet that have been injured or just need biomechanical help). I have had a long history dealing with these issues with skiers and soccer players in particular. I know how the foot works and how long it takes to heal in many cases. If MC's foot is still sore it is because the bone is not yet able to carry the full weight. The pain indicates incomplete healing. He needs to sit until that bone heals completely. The fact that it has taken this long already is an indication that there is a problem that needs more time yet. If he re-breaks that bone now, he will be out for the season.

This sounds disturbingly like Nolan and the docs trying to get Alex Smith to play through the pain of a piece of wire sawing through his shoulder.

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist but this just doesn't mesh with what I have learned about feet.

NOTE:
I am not a foot doctor per se. I am a pedorthist. I make orthotics that match a person's foot and advise on the proper design of shoe to support the person's foot problem.

This is now a full-time occupation for me after years of doing this as an independent contractor working for a podiatric lab. In that capacity, I have been amazed at how little consideration is given to the biomechanics of a person's foot. Even the biggest companies seem more interested in cool cosmetics but ignore some very basic components of fit and flex. I'm not implying Nike has been guilty of this in Crabtree's case. Just passing that on, FWIW.
Originally posted by dj43:

Here is a post I put in another thread:

I just read in Barrows column that "Crabtree told reporters Sunday that his left foot hadn't fully healed since the last fracture, which occurred on June 6, and that he was in so much pain yesterday he thought it might have been broken again."

If this is true and I were Jed York, I would fire every doctor and trainer that had anything to do with that decision. Such a decision is nothing short of malpractice.
In my current work I am involved with podiatrists almost every day where I build orthotics (inserts into shoes to support feet that have been injured or just need biomechanical help). I have had a long history dealing with these issues with skiers and soccer players in particular. I know how the foot works and how long it takes to heal in many cases. If MC's foot is still sore it is because the bone is not yet able to carry the full weight. The pain indicates incomplete healing. He needs to sit until that bone heals completely. The fact that it has taken this long already is an indication that there is a problem that needs more time yet. If he re-breaks that bone now, he will be out for the season.

This sounds disturbingly like Nolan and the docs trying to get Alex Smith to play through the pain of a piece of wire sawing through his shoulder.

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist but this just doesn't mesh with what I have learned about feet.

NOTE:
I am not a foot doctor per se. I am a pedorthist. I make orthotics that match a person's foot and advise on the proper design of shoe to support the person's foot problem.

This is now a full-time occupation for me after years of doing this as an independent contractor working for a podiatric lab. In that capacity, I have been amazed at how little consideration is given to the biomechanics of a person's foot. Even the biggest companies seem more interested in cool cosmetics but ignore some very basic components of fit and flex. I'm not implying Nike has been guilty of this in Crabtree's case. Just passing that on, FWIW.

I am glad that you are doin good job that you are kinda a decode somethings. Thanks for support the 49ers! Bro...
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I dont know if we have any Dr's in here, but I know that we have some "surgeons", and they appear to know everything

well, almost surgeons
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
if his heart is in his foot then he is seeing the wrong kinds of doctors.

I know I bash Crabs alot, but I really want him to be on this team......

Sit his ass, for a month.....we'll need him for the playoffs.
Activate Williams and sit Crabs for 2-3 weeks.
Raider fans are telling me that this is why Al Davis passed on Crabs is because of his fragile feet. I'm starting to believe them!
Originally posted by verb1der:
Raider fans are telling me that this is why Al Davis passed on Crabs is because of his fragile feet. I'm starting to believe them!

Al passed on him because DHB was the fastest 40 at the combine. He's not enough of a forward thinker to evaluate talent that might benefit his team in the future.
Originally posted by fack54:
Originally posted by verb1der:

Al passed on him because DHB was the fastest 40 at the combine. He's not enough of a forward thinker to evaluate talent that might benefit his team in the future.

Either way, DHB is starting to look more promising...while Crabs is off to a bad start.

Move him to IR and rehab him all season, no point in wasting practice time and a roster spot on an injured player, has to be some body on waivers right now. Besides Braylon, Josh, and Teddy will do fine, we can win with out him, better to have him 100% healthy for the rest of his career, than banged up all the time!
Crabtree on crutches is still better than DHB.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Move him to IR and rehab him all season, no point in wasting practice time and a roster spot on an injured player, has to be some body on waivers right now. Besides Braylon, Josh, and Teddy will do fine, we can win with out him, better to have him 100% healthy for the rest of his career, than banged up all the time!

I don't think he needs to go to IR and take all season, but it may take another 3-5 weeks for this bone to heal fully.

I was concerned when I heard he went from a walking boot to running full speed in less than two weeks. That is not the typical pattern required for this kind of injury to the foot. 4 weeks would be a more realistic time frame. His foot had been immobile and certainly lost some tone and strength, thus putting even more pressure on the skeletal structure.

Shut him down for at least 10 days and re-visit it. We do need him but not at the jeopardy of re-injury.
I was one of Crabtree's biggest supporters from draft day up until a few weeks ago.

I don't question his heart or work ethic like others (although I do feel he'd rather be playing for another team).

The question is this foot injury. It seems like this thing will never heal and will be the death of his career.
Originally posted by walker807:
Crabtree on crutches is still better than DHB.

Crabtree on crutches and with two club casts is still better than DHB.
[ Edited by Redeemer on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone