LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 247 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Just put this in here, so maybe JayBee can actually see that it's just him that thinks that Crabs doesnt need to work out with the team and build chemistry with his QB.

[Comment From Arlington Jerry Arlington Jerry: ]
Not to beat a dead horse.... But whats the deal with Crabs not showing up to these "practices." should the niner nation be worried about the pre Madonna status that was given to him before the draft?

Friday June 3, 2011 10:04 Arlington Jerry

10:07 MattB_49: I don't know if he's a "diva" or a "primadonna" (I guess Pre Madonna would be Janis Joplin?). I'd say he's more of a loner. He's obviously working out by himself, which is exactly what he did for months on end during his rookie contract dispute. That would be fine if he were, say, a tennis player. Unfortunately, football is the ultimate team sport and chemistry is a must. That was a missing element early last season as you all know too well ...
J
ust bolded the bottom to say at least 95 % of the fans say the same thing.

My man, Jersey! 95.5% now.
Just put this in here, so maybe JayBee can actually see that it's just him that thinks that Crabs doesnt need to work out with the team and build chemistry with his QB.

Not to beat a dead horse.... But whats the deal with Crabs not showing up to these "practices." should the niner nation be worried about the pre Madonna status that was given to him before the draft?

10:07 MattB_49: I don't know if he's a "diva" or a "primadonna" (I guess Pre Madonna would be Janis Joplin?). I'd say he's more of a loner. He's obviously working out by himself, which is exactly what he did for months on end during his rookie contract dispute. That would be fine if he were, say, a tennis player. Unfortunately, football is the ultimate team sport and chemistry is a must. That was a missing element early last season as you all know too well ...
J
I agree with Barrows. I think the character assassination of Crabtree on this board has been largely unfair. The kid is not a lawbreaker, he doesn't hang out with gang-bangers and drug dealers. He doesn't mouth off to teammates or coaches. And, he doesn't appear to be a malcontent. From reports before the draft, he is a quiet kid, doesn't have a fiery personality.

It is fair if people dislike Crabtree for a lack of productivity, but to characterize him as a bad guy, or trash his character, I believe, is going way too far. This is a kid who cried a couple years ago during camp because Singletary and the coaching staff told him to stop running because he might cause more damage to his injuries.
Originally posted by Micky6:
Quote:

Does this guy remind anybody else of Jordan? Or is it just me?

My word... not Jordan Taber! I'm sure he is here somewhere. Hahaha... maybe I'm a sadist, but I miss that little b*****d. I wonder if he became a Bills fan when TO was there.

he's now a bodybuilding bowling champ
Hey Some of my OG's read this and let me know is there anyone out there.

Comment From Looking for Hope Looking for Hope: ]
Has there ever been a quarterback who's been bad for 6 years and then starts playing at a high level?

Friday June 3, 2011 10:25 Looking for Hope
10:27 MattB_49: Yes, there are lots of examples -- Steve Young, Rich Gannon to name a couple of local guys. The question is, has there ever been a late-bloomer quarterback who has bloomed with the same team that drafted him?

Now the guy did say that were bad for 6 years. I didnt know that Young and Gannon were bad for that long before the light clicked. So someone who maybe watched either of them, especially YOUng. Did he suck.

And 2. has there been anyone that has thrived with the same team after 6 years.

thanks for answering fellas
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninertico:
I don't care what anyone says about Alex. This kid has shown so much in the face of such adversity, frustration and all out hate by our fan base and still he coordinates, coaches and leads his team through drills and practices...as a coach no less.

That kid rocks! Way to go Smitty and take the bull by the horns.

Major props to the kid becoming a man and takin' control of his team. If he made his choice to leave, we would be so f**ked up right now it wouldn't even be funny. Who was going to run the show? Carr? Instead, Alex has taken the initiative to communicate with his teammates especially his starters. Davis, Gore and even Crabtree will get to the workouts. His brain truly is amazing if in just two months he was able to absorb, understand and TEACH the playbook to others after a complete change in terminology from Digit to WCO.

Thank God for Alex Smith and his character and his desire to prove everyone wrong even me.

That is all.

Got to agree. Even though the fan base has been disappointed in his play the last 6 years, he has been a model of classiness, and obviously is attempting to make things work for this team. I hope fans cheer for him. He obviously has not quit on the team and organization.

Classiness dont equal good QB play. I'd take a good QB who with questionable off field stuff like Big Ben any day over some choir boy who cant hit a open receiver in stride.

C'mon Sus! You know that is not the issue here. I described nothing in relationship to his play. It's his character and it's guys like you he has to shut up, period, with his play. That's the truth!

Obviously Sus, you don't see the bigger picture. I like ya my bro, but if Smith didn't take the initiative, who would again? We'd be soooooooo far behind the curve ball called the Lockout, that we wouldn't be able to overcome the delay. With Smith leading these workouts with most of the playbook in his head to teach, Smith assures our team of some assemblance of preparation for the season to the point of actually being able to practice the new playbook. We have a chance to really compete in our division.

You can't even give him that, huh? Again, don't care what anybody says.

All I know is Alex is staring you down, Sus, along with Fly and the other haters. He has to prove it and you guys are entitled to make him prove it before you root for him. So be it.

It's just frustrating when all a fan wants to do is root for his team or one of the players and all you get is blasts of hate just for its sake no matter how positive the topic.

Others on the fence who still hope and believe Alex can be successful with Harbaugh still root for their team's QB. Again, my post was about his character. Not about his play in the past. That has been beaten down like a dead horse.

This is not an Alex thread. I merely wanted to express my deepest respect to a 49er QB who has the huevos to continue to do what he thinks is right for his team including working out with them WHILE HE DOESN'T HAVE A CONTRACT.

Now that's impressive. Nobody does that now, nobody. He's takin' it to the system!

I am grateful for Alex as a fan desperate for football to begin again. He's making it happen for the team. That's all that matters in my book. The past has been blown away by time. Time now is Alex's to mold for the future.

He's off to a great start!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I don't care what anyone says about Alex. This kid has shown so much in the face of such adversity, frustration and all out hate by our fan base and still he coordinates, coaches and leads his team through drills and practices...as a coach no less.

Major props to the kid becoming a man and takin' control of his team. If he made his choice to leave, we would be so f**ked up right now it wouldn't even be funny. Who was going to run the show? Carr? Instead, Alex has taken the initiative to communicate with his teammates especially his starters. Davis, Gore and even Crabtree will get to the workouts. His brain truly is amazing if in just two months he was able to absorb, understand and TEACH the playbook to others after a complete change in terminology from Digit to WCO.

Thank God for Alex Smith and his character and his desire to prove everyone wrong even me.

That is all.

Got to agree. Even though the fan base has been disappointed in his play the last 6 years, he has been a model of classiness, and obviously is attempting to make things work for this team. I hope fans cheer for him. He obviously has not quit on the team and organization.

Classiness dont equal good QB play. I'd take a good QB who with questionable off field stuff like Big Ben any day over some choir boy who cant hit a open receiver in stride.

C'mon Sus! You know that is not the issue here. I described nothing in relationship to his play. It's his character and it's guys like you he has to shut up, period, with his play. That's the truth!

Obviously Sus, you don't see the bigger picture. I like ya my bro, but if Smith didn't take the initiative, who would again? We'd be soooooooo far behind the curve ball called the Lockout, that we wouldn't be able to overcome the delay. With Smith leading these workouts with most of the playbook in his head to teach, Smith assures our team of some assemblance of preparation for the season to the point of actually being able to practice the new playbook. We have a chance to really compete in our division.

You can't even give him that, huh? Again, don't care what anybody says.

All I know is Alex is staring you down, Sus, along with Fly and the other haters. He has to prove it and you guys are entitled to make him prove it before you root for him. So be it.

It's just frustrating when all a fan wants to do is root for his team or one of the players and all you get is blasts of hate just for its sake no matter how positive the topic.

Others on the fence who still hope and believe Alex can be successful with Harbaugh still root for their team's QB. Again, my post was about his character. Not about his play in the past. That has been beaten down like a dead horse.

This is not an Alex thread. I merely wanted to express my deepest respect to a 49er QB who has the huevos to continue to do what he thinks is right for his team including working out with them WHILE HE DOESN'T HAVE A CONTRACT.

Now that's impressive. Nobody does that now, nobody. He's takin' it to the system!

I am grateful for Alex as a fan desperate for football to begin again. He's making it happen for the team. That's all that matters in my book. The past has been blown away by time. Time now is Alex's to mold for the future.

He's off to a great start!

I understand what you are saying Tico and I see where you coming from. He is a good dude and there is no doubt about it. Seems like a nice guy, and I even cheer for him to succeed, I hope he has a great year.

But the fact the matter is that this story has been written before. Actually its been written every off season. Every year we hear how Smith has a great off season, how much he knows the offense know. How everybody loves him to death, his receivers really see a change with him.

You see him building hope with a portion of the fanbase and we all know what the end result is gonna be. Also I dont really see to much benefit in these player run workouts, these guys need coaches to tell them how to run plays. They might be doing everything wrong, and that might more detrimental then doing nothing at all.

So excuse me if Im not gushing all over him because he chose to stay. The fact of the matter is he really didnt have much options with the lock out. Also the fact the matter is this is probably the only the team in the league that he could probably be anointed the starter.
Matt Barrows answered my question about Anthony Davis

Quote:
10:44

Comment From Jason
IS there any word on what Anthony Davis is up to and if he plans to attend the mini-camp?
10:45

MattB_49:
No word. Iupati said he's working out on his own. He's at the top of my "Will he attend?" list for next week.
All I know is that I'll be rooting for Smith in the stands. No need to boo. If he sucks, Harbaugh will sit him. With the way he has conducted himself over the years, he at least deserves that much.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by skynet907:

Quote:

Comment From Jason
IS there any word on what Anthony Davis is up to and if he plans to attend the mini-camp?

MattB_49:
No word. Iupati said he's working out on his own. He's at the top of my "Will he attend?" list for next week.

He aint going, he's too busy getting happy endings in vegas.

(Im jealous of him)

That is all.

I was about to respond with the bolded. I don't think anybody can question Alex's character, work ethic, etc since he showed up in 2005. Its making plays, instincts, and getting Ws that is the problem. Alex homers have a hard time understanding the difference.

Originally posted by skynet907:

Quote:

Comment From Jason

MattB_49:

J
I agree with Barrows. I think the character assassination of Crabtree on this board has been largely unfair. The kid is not a lawbreaker, he doesn't hang out with gang-bangers and drug dealers. He doesn't mouth off to teammates or coaches. And, he doesn't appear to be a malcontent. From reports before the draft, he is a quiet kid, doesn't have a fiery personality.

It is fair if people dislike Crabtree for a lack of productivity, but to characterize him as a bad guy, or trash his character, I believe, is going way too far. This is a kid who cried a couple years ago during camp because Singletary and the coaching staff told him to stop running because he might cause more damage to his injuries.

Which is why I've been defending him. The way people have been crapping on him is completely unfair. "Oh, he misses training camps". Well he held out for one of them and was injured for the last one. WTF? The character assassination is disgusting.
Originally posted by JayBee:

J

Which is why I've been defending him. The way people have been crapping on him is completely unfair. "Oh, he misses training camps". Well he held out for one of them and was injured for the last one. WTF? The character assassination is disgusting.

Give this man a medal! As a niner fan I would like to commend you on how you are standing up for the little guy.

On a side note, the rumor is Crabtree's workout consists of eating babies and clubbing baby seals... good source of protein and builds core strength.

I keed I keed, but I don't think Crabs gives a damn about what a bunch of board fans infront of a computer write about him, just a feeling...

J

This post is just dripping with hypocrisy. Don't get any on ya, folks!
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

J

This post is just dripping with hypocrisy. Don't get any on ya, folks!

How so?
Share 49ersWebzone