LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

Potential Aaron Rodgers SB Victory = Alex Smith Reputation Death Knell?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex does't have anything to do with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers success or failure. It's not his fault he was picked where he was picked. His career is seperate and independent from anybody else. And I don't see any Leaf comparison. At least Alex is the first one in and the last one to leave. And he studies film all day long. He practices hard. He's a good teamate. He's a good citizen. He's just not as good as you would hope. But he's not in he Leaf or Jamarcus category by far.

this
Alex does't have anything to do with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers success or failure. It's not his fault he was picked where he was picked. His career is seperate and independent from anybody else. And I don't see any Leaf comparison. At least Alex is the first one in and the last one to leave. And he studies film all day long. He practices hard. He's a good teamate. He's a good citizen. He's just not as good as you would hope. But he's not in he Leaf or Jamarcus category by far.

this

At least the Chargers and Raiders were smart enough to get rid of the 'busts' instead of forcing the fans to suffer/hope/get frustrated for 6 years.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
in all seriousness to me Smith is not a bust, just like I feel that Tim Couch or David Carr were not busts... they all had okay stats but just did not up to the hype of being the top overall pick. Look at their stats/starts compared to the Leafs, Russells, and Akili Smiths of the world much different story.
Originally posted by hateroids84:

this

At least the Chargers and Raiders were smart enough to get rid of the 'busts' instead of forcing the fans to suffer/hope/get frustrated for 6 years.

this too
Originally posted by bigmike55:
F@ck Alex Smith.

NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this

to be fair no project qb in nfl history went through 6 OC in 6 years
Originally posted by Paul:
in all seriousness to me Smith is not a bust, just like I feel that Tim Couch or David Carr were not busts... they all had okay stats but just did not up to the hype of being the top overall pick. Look at their stats/starts compared to the Leafs, Russells, and Akili Smiths of the world much different story.

Tim Couch is out of the league and David Carr is on his way too so how are they NOT bust? They might not be to the level that Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and Jamarcus were but that doesn't mean they aren't bust.

They didn't even COME CLOSE to meeting expectations and justifying their draft position so I'd say they are a bust, just not to the same level (high level of course) of those other 3.

this

He's not in the same category as those 2. Not even close. Furthermore it's not his fault that the team decided to stick with him for 6 years. It's the 49ers fault on that one. And they didn't have to give him 7 Offensive Coordinators in 6 years and NoWin and Dingleberry. Also the 49ers fault.

this

He's not in the same category as those 2. Not even close. Furthermore it's not his fault that the team decided to stick with him for 6 years. It's the 49ers fault on that one. And they didn't have to give him 7 Offensive Coordinators in 6 years and NoWin and Dingleberry. Also the 49ers fault.

This.

this

At best Alex Smith aka GARBAGE had one mediocre season with Norv Turner a great Offensive Coordinator. He had some other talented OC's as well. He never once showed us flashes of greatness. At best he had 4-5 great games for us in all those years. People that will be starters in this league show flashes of greatness. Sam Bradford proved more in one season than Alex ever did in six. Same could be said for Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. I tried believing in Alex cause I love the 49ers. I hope Harbaugh will finally cure this horrible virus.

Originally posted by English:

this

This.

Not this

1) he has had 6 offensive coordinators (Macarthy, Turner, Hostler, Martz, Raye, and Johnson).

2) He never played for Martz.

3) He put up his best numbers coming off the bench in Raye's offense in 2009 so of course, as he usually does, gave us false hope which led to Singletary keeping Raye and naming Alex Smith the starter.

Once the expectations were high again, he faltered as he usually does under the SAME OC that he had the year prior. So the ONE time he finally gets to stay in the same system to prove the doubters wrong, he fails miserably and gets ANOTHER OC.

Everyone wants to sit here and say Raye's offense is pre-historic and it sucks but this guy has been in the NFL for EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 1977 and loses his job because of poor play by who? You guessed it, Alex Smith. The same guy that produced his best season in his NFL career the year prior under this "pre-historic, sucky offense", has expectations to build on that and looks like PURE TRASH and Raye, after a 33 year stint in the NFL, takes the blame. SMH (Shakin my head). When does it end? When does Alex FINALLY get held responsible instead of EVERYONE ELSE around him?

this

At best Alex Smith aka GARBAGE had one mediocre season with Norv Turner a great Offensive Coordinator. He had some other talented OC's as well. He never once showed us flashes of greatness. At best he had 4-5 great games for us in all those years. People that will be starters in this league show flashes of greatness. Sam Bradford proved more in one season than Alex ever did in six. Same could be said for Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. I tried believing in Alex cause I love the 49ers. I hope Harbaugh will finally cure this horrible virus.

Originally posted by English:

this

This.

To be honest lets not count jimmy raye starting this last season. i just assume it was 7 for 7 since mike took over. I don't count the first 3 games considering it was, blown out, lost by a fg, blown out, fired and insert the guy who would have been the oc had jimmy raye been fired after the first season, another bone head move by sing to hold on that long... Finally gave Alex some continuity, but picked the worst possible oc to do it with!
No, it means we trade Alex Smith for Matt Flynn straight up
seriously this Aaron Rodgers/Alex Smith crap is worse than the Nate Davis circlejerk. Let it go.

[ Edited by skynet907 on Jan 29, 2011 at 02:21:55 ]
Share 49ersWebzone