LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 597 users in the forums

Potential Aaron Rodgers SB Victory = Alex Smith Reputation Death Knell?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
We're two years past the "make it stop" emoticon.

Jesus, just start banning people.

so true
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Alex does't have anything to do with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers success or failure. It's not his fault he was picked where he was picked. His career is seperate and independent from anybody else. And I don't see any Leaf comparison. At least Alex is the first one in and the last one to leave. And he studies film all day long. He practices hard. He's a good teamate. He's a good citizen. He's just not as good as you would hope. But he's not in he Leaf or Jamarcus category by far.

this

At least the Chargers and Raiders were smart enough to get rid of the 'busts' instead of forcing the fans to suffer/hope/get frustrated for 6 years.

He's not in the same category as those 2. Not even close. Furthermore it's not his fault that the team decided to stick with him for 6 years. It's the 49ers fault on that one. And they didn't have to give him 7 Offensive Coordinators in 6 years and NoWin and Dingleberry. Also the 49ers fault.

This.

Not this

1) he has had 6 offensive coordinators (Macarthy, Turner, Hostler, Martz, Raye, and Johnson).

2) He never played for Martz.

3) He put up his best numbers coming off the bench in Raye's offense in 2009 so of course, as he usually does, gave us false hope which led to Singletary keeping Raye and naming Alex Smith the starter.

Once the expectations were high again, he faltered as he usually does under the SAME OC that he had the year prior. So the ONE time he finally gets to stay in the same system to prove the doubters wrong, he fails miserably and gets ANOTHER OC.

Everyone wants to sit here and say Raye's offense is pre-historic and it sucks but this guy has been in the NFL for EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 1977 and loses his job because of poor play by who? You guessed it, Alex Smith. The same guy that produced his best season in his NFL career the year prior under this "pre-historic, sucky offense", has expectations to build on that and looks like PURE TRASH and Raye, after a 33 year stint in the NFL, takes the blame. SMH (Shakin my head). When does it end? When does Alex FINALLY get held responsible instead of EVERYONE ELSE around him?

Good points. I know everyone wanted to blame Jimmy Raye, but Alex was responsible for a large part of our failures. Alex is a Headcoach and offensive coordinator killer.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Alex does't have anything to do with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers success or failure. It's not his fault he was picked where he was picked. His career is seperate and independent from anybody else. And I don't see any Leaf comparison. At least Alex is the first one in and the last one to leave. And he studies film all day long. He practices hard. He's a good teamate. He's a good citizen. He's just not as good as you would hope. But he's not in he Leaf or Jamarcus category by far.

this

At least the Chargers and Raiders were smart enough to get rid of the 'busts' instead of forcing the fans to suffer/hope/get frustrated for 6 years.

He's not in the same category as those 2. Not even close. Furthermore it's not his fault that the team decided to stick with him for 6 years. It's the 49ers fault on that one. And they didn't have to give him 7 Offensive Coordinators in 6 years and NoWin and Dingleberry. Also the 49ers fault.

This.

Not this

1) he has had 6 offensive coordinators (Macarthy, Turner, Hostler, Martz, Raye, and Johnson).

2) He never played for Martz.

3) He put up his best numbers coming off the bench in Raye's offense in 2009 so of course, as he usually does, gave us false hope which led to Singletary keeping Raye and naming Alex Smith the starter.

Once the expectations were high again, he faltered as he usually does under the SAME OC that he had the year prior. So the ONE time he finally gets to stay in the same system to prove the doubters wrong, he fails miserably and gets ANOTHER OC.

Everyone wants to sit here and say Raye's offense is pre-historic and it sucks but this guy has been in the NFL for EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 1977 and loses his job because of poor play by who? You guessed it, Alex Smith. The same guy that produced his best season in his NFL career the year prior under this "pre-historic, sucky offense", has expectations to build on that and looks like PURE TRASH and Raye, after a 33 year stint in the NFL, takes the blame. SMH (Shakin my head). When does it end? When does Alex FINALLY get held responsible instead of EVERYONE ELSE around him?

Good points. I know everyone wanted to blame Jimmy Raye, but Alex was responsible for a large part of our failures. Alex is a Headcoach and offensive coordinator killer.

I personally wouldn't go that far and make that statement but I do believe they go hand in hand.

I just find it very amusing that the team has done everything in their power to bring in talent at damn near EVERY SINGLE POSITION around Alex but failed to bring in SOLID competition for Alex to compete against.

They have brought in guys that left everyone looking like to compete against Alex, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is the man and 6 years later, we are still talking about our #1 overall pick drafted to be our future, "possibly staying as a "stop-gap" to our new future"?. Look at the names they have brought in to compete at the QB position with our beloved Alex:

Trent Dilfer
Shaun Hill
Chris Weinke (when Alex was placed on IR)
JT O'Sullivan
Nate Davis
Troy Smith

He got beat out by O'Sullivan and Hill in back to back seasons.

He got injured in 07 in which 4 different QB's took a snap and OF COURSE, Shaun Hill put up better numbers in his two games (although Alex shouldn't have came back to play later in the season)

Lost his starting job even though he was cleared to play in 2010 to Troy Smith and was also benched in favor of Troy in the most important game of the season (Rams).

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Share 49ersWebzone