There are 129 users in the forums

Taylor Mays at OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
yea, you do realize Mays is freakishly fast for a man his size. Of course, he couldn't keep up with the Desean Jackson's and Mike Wallace's of the world. But his speed is fine to cover guys like Fitz, Williams, and others.
Go easy kid. A lot of Zoners have real problem thinking out of the box. The idea that a football athlete could play at another position is heresy. Hey, what do these NFL players have in common? Troy Brown, Dion Sanders, Spencer Lawson, and Preston Parker. Answer: They all have played on offense and defense in the same games! I once suggested that Taylor Mays be used in certain passing situations and was blasted for it. Funny, Mays has freakish speed and has great hands. Could you imagine Ginn and Mays spilt out from each other with Crabtree in the slot and Davis at T.E? Anyway, I support your creative thinking, just don't expect any of the Zoners critics to give any concrete reasons why it's wrong because, that might require some Zoners to use some lateral thinking.
[ Edited by stevenking57 on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Mays doesn't have any pass rush moves. And I don't know how his weight has anything to do with chasing down receivers. He ran a 4.43 40 at the combine weighing in at around that same weight so speed isn't a problem.

His problem is agility and instincts and those things aren't going to get any better by a move to OLB.

So...does that mean you think his best position in the NFL would be SS?
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Mays doesn't have any pass rush moves. And I don't know how his weight has anything to do with chasing down receivers. He ran a 4.43 40 at the combine weighing in at around that same weight so speed isn't a problem.

His problem is agility and instincts and those things aren't going to get any better by a move to OLB.

yes

It could be. I personally have never seen him as much of a FS or anything else and as I recall, he was playing SS with Goldson.

-9fA
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Go easy kid. A lot of Zoners have real problem thinking out of the box. The idea that a football athlete could play at another position is heresy. Hey, what do these NFL players have in common? Troy Brown, Dion Sanders, Spencer Lawson, and Preston Parker. Answer: They all have played on offense and defense in the same games! I once suggested that Taylor Mays be used in certain passing situations and was blasted for it. Funny, Mays has freakish speed and has great hands. Could you imagine Ginn and Mays spilt out from each other with Crabtree in the slot and Davis at T.E? Anyway, I support your creative thinking, just don't expect any of the Zoners critics to give any concrete reasons why it's wrong because, that might require some Zoners to use some lateral thinking.

I really appreciate your words of support... Thank you.

You got it right on. I'm merely trying to make some kind of a weapon out of a second round draft pick that has significant strengths....and wondering if, given those strengths, SS is his best position.
Originally posted by boast:

The Bunk says no.
Originally posted by boast:

Well...to quote Richard Dreyfuss in "Jaws"....."You got any better suggestions?"

give him room Brody!!!

SS He is just a rookie he goona just get better from here
he's too much of a p***y
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

what gave you the impression that Mays has great hands? And if all it took was speed to be a good WR Usain Bolt would be in the NFL. how's DHB doing in Oakland? You'd think that a fan of a team that had the greatest WR of all time, not because he was the fastest but because he ran the best routes and caught everything would have more sense.

Mays does not even have good hands... to say he has great hands is absurd.

Mays has pretty terrible hands, just check out his college career. It was pretty much one of the biggest knocks on him coming out of college, that he has no ball skills.
Share 49ersWebzone