There are 320 users in the forums

OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Greg Roman = Passing game coordinator
Tim Drevno = Running game coordinator
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Team sources expect Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to take the same position on Jim Harbaugh's San Francisco staff this week. Fangio has talked to other NFL teams about their openings but is very close with Harbaugh, and 49ers sources believe the job is essentially his.

On the offensive side of the ball, Harbaugh will be running the offense and will be the de facto offensive coordinator. The team will have a running game coordinator and a passing game coordinator but this will be Harbaugh's offense, according to the sources. Several coaches from the 49ers existing staff are expected to remain with the team, including offensive line coach Mike Solari, running backs coach Tom Rathman and defensive line coach Jim Tomsula.

what team does this succesfully
The Saints and Packers

Eagles, Holmgren's Seahawks, Cardinals under Whisenhunt.
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:

Is Drevno coming too ?
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Is Drevno coming too ?

According to Maiocco, he already visited with Harbaugh about joining his staff.
Team sources expect Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to take the same position on Jim Harbaugh's San Francisco staff this week. Fangio has talked to other NFL teams about their openings but is very close with Harbaugh, and 49ers sources believe the job is essentially his.

On the offensive side of the ball, Harbaugh will be running the offense and will be the de facto offensive coordinator. The team will have a running game coordinator and a passing game coordinator but this will be Harbaugh's offense, according to the sources. Several coaches from the 49ers existing staff are expected to remain with the team, including offensive line coach Mike Solari, running backs coach Tom Rathman and defensive line coach Jim Tomsula.

I have ZERO problems with that. You then have one guy spending all his time conceaving the best RUN play and another guy concieving the best PASS play. Harbaugh asks for input in any given situation and select the best play. I love it.

Moreover, if you lose a guy (like Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, etc) it isn't nearly as damaging because he only called half of the plays anyway and Harbaugh understands them all.

Now I understand what he meant on Chronicle Live when he said playcalling was a team effort. Its gonna take some time to get all this stuff running smoothly, but once it does, look out. ;-)

I think Roman would be the running game coordinator. If I understood correctly, thats what he did at Stanford.

I'm just hoping that Stanford hires from outside the program and we can get David Shaw as well.

Hey, maybe if Stanford loses Harbaugh, Roman, AND Shaw, Andrew Luck changes his mind and enters the draft?

LOL...just a thought. ;-)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Is Drevno coming too ?

According to Maiocco, he already visited with Harbaugh about joining his staff.

I wish he would, he had a damn good O-line at Stanford.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If Stanford doesn't name Shaw the HC, look for him to be the OC.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Hopefully. Alot of the Stanford players want Shaw to lead the team. I think he's the leading candidate for the job.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Hopefully. Alot of the Stanford players want Shaw to lead the team. I think he's the leading candidate for the job.

Yeah, here's a quote from the Chronicle.

Quote:
Stanford offensive coordinator David Shaw is a candidate to get Harbaugh's old job but also could get consideration if Stanford hires a different head coach.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Quote:
Stanford offensive coordinator David Shaw is a candidate to get Harbaugh's old job but also could get consideration if Stanford hires a different head coach.

To keep some kind of continuity, Stanford should just hire Greg Roman as HC and keep Shaw as OC. Bringing in a whole new HC and offensive system would hurt Luck and the offense right now.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Quote:

To keep some kind of continuity, Stanford should just hire Greg Roman as HC and keep Shaw as OC. Bringing in a whole new HC and offensive system would hurt Luck and the offense right now.

True but at the same time Stanford is looking to be progressive and lure in a better long term coach than those candidates. What better way to lure a guy in than showing him last year's success, and giving him Luck for one year. Though I think one of those in house guys will be hired. If you look around in college most hires from with in don't turn out well.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

what team does this succesfully
The Saints and Packers

And the Patriots.

I'm think Mike Shanahan might call his own plays, but he has his son as his OC, so I am unsure. Also, they weren't very successful this year.

Naw his sons calls all the plays. folks here in Dc want to run his son out of town b/c you can see a clear bias.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Quote:

To keep some kind of continuity, the Niners should just hire Greg Roman as WR coach and get Shaw as the OC. Bringing in a whole new HC and offensive system would only help this offense right now.

Fixed.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM ]
I'm just happy no one can come in and hire our OC away a la McCarthy and Turner for the next 5 years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Quote:

To keep some kind of continuity, the Niners should just hire Greg Roman as RB coach and get Shaw as OC. Bringing in a whole new HC and offensive system would only help this offense right now.

Fixed.

Greg Roman was a QB coach, besides Rathman is better.
Share 49ersWebzone