LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Protest strategy if we don't land Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by kray28:
If Harbaugh goes somewhere else, then Jon Gruden better be the next guy that Jed is talking to.

Unlike most of the Harbaugh homers here, I know that there are still several great candidates out there.

Winners, with tons of more experience than Harbaugh. Go figure.

Gruden has turned down offers to stay on TV.

He won't turn down an offer which is substantial enough. Money's no object, right Jed?
If Harbaugh goes somewhere else, then Jon Gruden better be the next guy that Jed is talking to.

Unlike most of the Harbaugh homers here, I know that there are still several great candidates out there.

He won't turn down an offer which is substantial enough. Money's no object, right Jed?

Except when you're outbid.
This is getting out of hand. Are the 49ers guaranteed to be contenders with Harbaugh as coach? I don't think anything is a given. If you want to protest if they don't get him, then do what you want to.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Money isn't an object unless a richer owner comes along with unrealistic offers that make no sense.

It is like we are about to buy a new BMW fully loaded for the list price and some dude runs in the dealership and offers way over the value of the car, you go find another car.
you guys are being ridiculous. you don't know s**t about what's going on and you already have sand in your vagina over it.

you want to pay the guy f**king $8 mil a year? sorry, bellicheck doesn't make that! i know harbaugh is the best candidate for us but its hard to argue with jed if he doesn't want to make harbaugh the highest paid coach in the nfl.

now if we're totally low balling him at $4 mil or something fine, protest. but gtfo of here with that if we're being reasonable. i doubt we'll ever know for sure
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

Except when you're outbid.

I think the Dolphins offered him $7 million (or so is claimed). Since he turned it down, there is no competing bid if Jed offers more.

Money's no object, right Jed?

This is the NFL, gotta pay to play.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Plastic bags on your heads.

Seriously. Too much of a knee-jerk reaction even if we don't sign him. Who knows what the details are? You're going to protest because Jason Laf****tfora said we proposed $4.5 million? This guy has been right WHEN? Never.

Both the Matts said that the 49ers were working off of Carroll's contract or are looking to get there. Relax, if we don't sign him it's because Miami is proposing crazy money that we smartly aren't going to match. Anything over $7/year for a first time head coach is absolutely ridiculous.

Who cares if the YORKS are paying him 7 million dollars for Harbaugh's services. ITS NOT LIKE WE PAY.
Originally posted by MILFS:

Seriously. Too much of a knee-jerk reaction even if we don't sign him. Who knows what the details are? You're going to protest because Jason Laf****tfora said we proposed $4.5 million? This guy has been right WHEN? Never.

Both the Matts said that the 49ers were working off of Carroll's contract or are looking to get there. Relax, if we don't sign him it's because Miami is proposing crazy money that we smartly aren't going to match. Anything over $7/year for a first time head coach is absolutely ridiculous.

Who cares if the YORKS are paying him 7 million dollars for Harbaugh's services. ITS NOT LIKE WE PAY.

It doesn't matter if WE'RE paying or not. Why are you going to make a rookie head coach the highest-paid in the league? It's borderline retarded.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Saying money isn't an object doesn't mean you go out and pay 60k for a base model BMW 5 series. Harbaugh isn't worth 7-8 million a year. He should get paid less that Pete Carroll who had won National Championship and several bowl games AND had decent amount of coaching in the NFL. He def. shouldn't be the highest paid coach in all of NFL. We b***h about rookies gettin' 50 million dollar contracts - this is exactly the same thing.

If Miami wants to pay him that much money, and Harbaugh takes that - then good for him. We didn't lose anything. He is a coach - not Peyton Manning.
  • Money
  • Power
  • Pride

To really gain the attention, and better yet, change the actions of people in positions such as ownership, I think those 3 are areas which should be targeted.

The money is the probably the easiest to figure out.

Power comes in how they puppet the influence, money, control, hope, belief, and spirit of their audience. And, control over their opponents (other teams).

Pride can clearly be affected by envoking shame. To comparatively point out how they're poorer owners than their comrades, to amplify the disdainful words of hallowed 9er greats, to show how we the loyal fanbase would much rather have another Owner(ship team) come and take show the Yorks how it's done.

Clearly, much of this has been talked about many times before with many different words. But, that stands to show how rightful they are to say.

Again, I'm still cognisant Jed could prove that money is not the determining factor it's again, seeming to now be, and that we land a head coach that ends up being good for the team. This is simply seeming like yet another installment of the same set of happenings we've all seen happen too many times. And, quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of it.

Another dumb thread

It doesn't matter if WE'RE paying or not. Why are you going to make a rookie head coach the highest-paid in the league? It's borderline retarded.

I don't give a rat's ass how much we pay Harbaugh. If he is seriously the coach who will lead us to victories, I couldn't give a s**t how much we pay him. I'd rather win and make the playoffs than save a few nickles and dimes here and there. Us, loyal fans of the 49ers deserve better.

I don't give a rat's ass how much we pay Harbaugh. If he is seriously the coach who will lead us to victories, I couldn't give a s**t how much we pay him. I'd rather win and make the playoffs than save a few nickles and dimes here and there. Us, loyal fans of the 49ers deserve better.

How do you know he's going to "lead us to victories?" How many games has he coached at the NFL level? Oh, that's right, none. It DOES matter how much the 49ers pay him. It's not worth getting strong-armed into making a first time coach the highest paid in the league just because someone else wants them. There are plenty of other PROVEN coaches available.
  • 8to80
Originally posted by austrich:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Well, for starters, there's the passive strategy of not attending the games.

I suppose a more direct strategy would be to have a legal protest outside of team headquarters.

And a way to incorporate non-Bay area fans (myself and clearly many others).

A public statement about not buying merchandise whose monies are funneled back to the Ownership. A clear, public exposé of our knowledge of their tactical backtracks, misdirections, and forfeitures of Word.

Perhaps a production of imagery and essentially what would be campaigning against this continued intentionally un-avoided ineptitude and backtracking of promises.

This, of course, is before knowing what pans out with the HC hiring. But, we *all* know the Yorks' track record with things such as their Word and their (seeming lack of) dedication toward doing all that they can toward making the 49ers a winner.

I haven't bought any 49er gear since the Yorks took over. They singlehandedly drove our franchise to the ground (I know, the salary cap was a big part of it). Jed seems like a douchery. He says stupid things like "I guarantee we make the playoffs", "we will search and search for the best GM", and "money is not an issue". Blatanly lieing to the public makes one look unintelligent and incompetent. At least he is better than his father, but that is not saying much. He just doesn't seem to have common sense, let alone know how to manage a NFL franchise. A Bacherlor's in Bus. Admin. & History is not going to cut it. We need a president that knows football and hires a great front office.

About the protest, I think most of us have been doing it all along: never buy Niner gear because we are closet 49er fans, never buy tickets to games because we don't want to pay to watch our team lose. I swear, if we promote someone internally to Head Coach, I might have to switch from NFL to AFL.

[ Edited by 8to80 on Jan 5, 2011 at 23:11:41 ]
I've been following this team avidly since about '98. Seen all the crap and put up with it. Victim of circumstances, bad luck, charismatic empty suits, Jim Hostler, Jimmy Raye, etc, etc.

But after this "money is no issue" bulls**t? Fine. Money isn't an issue for you; ill exploit every means necessary to still be a fan yet not put a dollar in your pocket.
Share 49ersWebzone