LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 156 users in the forums

Stop Bashing Jed York!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jed's a nice man, but hes very young and way way over his head. Thats part of the reason the 49ers are in the mess they are in. He has screwed up big time in the last 5 years. Nolan turned out to be a huge mistake, bad move after bad move, loo what we are left with, last game of the season we have no HC, No GM and we still have Alex Smith as our starting QB after 5 seasons of hell. If anything Jed should be fired. But his Mom owns the team so that ain't going to happen. He better get the RIGHT GM this time around or SF could end up losing this team to another city.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just because his parents weren't cut out to do the job doesn't mean he can't. Obviously he cares about this team and wants to do the best he can to turn it around. Give him a chance!

I care about this team too. Does that make me qualified to run it?

I'll stop giving Jed s**t when this team starts winning. That seems more than fair methinks.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
From NFL.com:

Quote:
Jed York knows the big news to emerge from the 49ers' highly publicized general-manager search this week was that Bill Parcells' advice was sought.

The owner got that, and values what the Tuna told him.

The truth, though, is that Parcells is just one of the folks he's consulted. York, still just 29, is looking to draw from the experiences of those people, learn more about the business and pick up a few names that might fill a front office along the way.

And, accomplished as Parcells is, there's another guy that York is talking to that will likely have a little more influence on his opinion. That would be his uncle, Eddie DeBartolo, who was the Godfather of the glory-years 49ers, and a man the organization has missed dearly since 2000, when a legal battle forced him to cede control to his sister Denise, who happens to be Jed's mother.

"More than anything, he's told me to trust your gut," York said on Thursday. "The key is hiring the right people, who want to grind together, who enjoy working together. That's what happened here with Bill (Walsh) and (former director of football operations) John McVay. People weren't sure that Bill was the right coach, and after what happened with the Giants, McVay was questioned, too.

"Neither was the sexy hire. But they worked together, each guy was looking for the same thing, and knew exactly what the other wanted. You could tell exactly what the San Francisco 49ers were."

If you turn the dial to 2010, with York's uncle now gone for a decade, that is where the problem, as he sees it, lies most with a franchise that was once very much the New York Yankees of football.

The 49ers lack an identity.

Since the 2002 departure of Steve Mariucci, the final 49ers link to the Bill Walsh era, San Francisco has had three head coaches, two general managers and constant tumult in organizational structure. Predictably, the club has just one .500 season and no winning campaigns in that eight-year span, and will finish the fourth 10-loss season of that run on Sunday.

That's an amazing fall from grace for a franchise that posted 19 10-win seasons, 18 NFC West titles and five Super Bowl championships with three different coaches and three different quarterbacks in the 22 years previous.

And there were legends during that period of off-the-charts prosperity, of course. Walsh. Joe Montana. Jerry Rice. Steve Young. But it was about more than the individuals from York's view. The Niners won two titles without Rice and Walsh, and one without Montana. The point is, the organization was bigger than any one person, and finding a way to recreate that is York's directive now.

It's also why he's hiring the GM first.

"I think structure is important, and the GM is a key piece to that. There are few people like (Bill) Belichick that can run personnel and be the coach. It's very difficult," said York. "The best recent example (of sustained success) is New England, but look at the Atlanta Falcons or the New Orleans Saints. There, you had a general manager established who picked the head coach. Sean Payton was a name going into New Orleans, because he was with Parcells in Dallas, but Mike Smith wasn't well-known.

"But both those guys went to teams that weren't great, and you're seeing what they can do. And it's because everyone's on the same page. In Atlanta, you have great coordinators, great position coaches. You see the Saints bring in a defensive coordinator, and that took self-reflection. It took (Payton) saying, 'This is not about me, it's about the New Orleans Saints, and I need to take less money so we can bring in a defensive coordinator to help us.'"

That brings York back to the good old days, which he insists are something to learn from, but not totally try and emulate.

"We want to continue the legacy, but that doesn't mean we need to do everything like Bill and McVay," York continued. "You study it, but if you do what was successful 20 years ago, you're probably not going to have the same success. But you learn from what they did well, and apply stuff that can be successful. You have to make sure you're your own person, your own organization. You can't be someone else. Then, you'll fail.

"But the bottom line is, this is not about and won't be about Jed York or the GM or the coach. It's about the 49ers' success. And in that way, this should be similar to what Bill had set up here."

Rumors continue to float around late this week that Trent Baalke, the team's VP of player personnel, is destined to become GM. Baalke spent part of his NFL infancy under Parcells with the Jets, and became the 49ers' top football man last year after then-GM Scot McCloughan departed.

And since Baalke would be an internal hire, he's not the most popular candidate. But one thing York's learned to do is to not worry about perception, whether Baalke's the man or not.

His vision for the 49ers is, in the end, identical to his uncle's -- "a team that wins with class," as he describes it -- and he promises that the next hire will be free to shake the roster up (and there's some pretty decent talent there) in any way he sees fit.

He says that, in the last few years, the organizational philosophy has been "all over the place, we need to get more structured." So for now, he's not sure what the football vision will be come January, but he wants to be sure that, whatever it is, everyone in the building sees it the same way.

That's why he's more worried about finding the right name, rather than the big name, to lead.

"I've been a fan of the 49ers my whole life," York said. "I know what fans want. Results. They should be upset. I'm upset. We're not where we need to be. It needs to be obvious -- 'This is who the 49ers are. This is what the 49ers do.' We're lacking that."

Winning is everyone's goal. But fixing that, York knows, has to come first. And the GM hire, whenever it comes down, is what he hopes is the first step.
Originally posted by BobS:
Most of you crack me up with your blind faith and support of what this franchise is doing. I can see having blind faith in 49er management when it was winning 10 or more games a year. The Yorks have been a complete failure, until they show something positive, how can anyone believe in them?

What other REAL option do we have Bob? I'm going to support this team regardless, that won't change no matter what. Just because I'm not running down the street screaming and pulling my hair, doesn't mean I agree with what's going on or that I, or others are blind homers.

Ever been to a funeral Bob? What do you notice about them? Say a very dear family member passes, you're in the church for the funeral, family members every where who you know loved this family member. Some cry hysterically, some faint, some wear shades and to hide their emotions etc.

The point is, there are some things I don't agree with about this organization, only I choose to wear shades and not wail and pass out into the casket. This is how I deal with it, in a more calm way.

Not saying you were referring me Bob, but I'm sure others here share my opinion.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I have no idea how all this will shake out, but I'm starting to think the Yorks would be better of firing their Son as CEO and President and replace him with a seasoned vet that knows football and knows how to deal with the media. Like a rookie QB with potential (Jed), why rush him? Let him sit and really learn how to play in a grown man's sport.

I know the media often makes something out of nothing, but that's part of the job description and Jed should know that. You can't go out and say what he said, then have "leaks" coming out of your FO saying the exact opposite. Even if it is all part of a master plan, it still makes the Niners look silly. In addition, I dont know if it's the media or reality, but we look absolutly desperate and for what? If I came to you and said, I'm going to pay you millions of dollars, you can have full control of the team, we already have a solid player foundation and oh by the way you get to live in one of the most desirable places on earth you should be begin me for a job. But just like in dating, desperation is the biggest of turn offs.

Since we know Jed will not hire someone to replace him, I do have a few suggestions.

1. Round up everyone in the 49er front office. Let them know that if they are caught leaking information they will be fired on the spot.
2. I would play everything close to the vest. I would gather maybe two or three trusted advisors to help me in this process. However, at different times I might feed each individual mis-information and see if it gets reported. It might be as simple as, “I really like John Fox.” Obviously this is a very delicate situation, so you would need to be very careful how you approach it.
3. I would conduct as many GM interviews as possible, that includes people I'm not even sure I would want. Every interview isn't just about the candidate, it's about learning things you didn't know and things you may have not even thought of. You have to go in with an open mind, not waiting to hear what you think you want to hear.
4. I wouldn't low ball people, but I certainly wouldn't pay way over market either. I would pay what that candidate is perceived to be worth. I don't want someone here who is only here for the money. I want someone who wants to be fairly compensated, has a vision and looks forward to the challenge. That includes Harbaugh. Jed needs to leverage all the positives within this organization, including the Bay Area. If Harbaugh wants to try and muscle us, f**k him. He can go to Michigan and enjoy his below zero, snow storm weather, while I walk around in jeans and a t-shirt in the middle of January.
5. Finally, Jed is best off being honest with the media, but not giving to much detail. There is nothing wrong with saying, “ I really like Baalke as our Gm as he has done a good job, but I feel the prudent thing to do is to continue to conduct interviews around the league because of the magnitude of the decision.” Who can argue with that? Again, trying to be too slick only makes us look dysfunctional in this day of Twitter/facebook and around the clock news.

Excellent post!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Just because his parents weren't cut out to do the job doesn't mean he can't. Obviously he cares about this team and wants to do the best he can to turn it around. Give him a chance!

I'll stop giving Jed s**t when this team starts winning. That seems more than fair methinks.

agreed
LEAVE JED YORK ALONE! LEAVE HIM ALONE!
Jed has essentially lied about his "search for a GM" therefore as of now, his head is on the block to be called out on.

Maybe when the team makes the right hires, signs the right Free Agents and drafts the right players then he can start earning some more respect.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

Exactly. How about we start hiring based on the level passion for the 49ers? Holy s**t Jed WINS!!!

David Carr is probably a niner fan. Just sayin'.

Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Jed has essentially lied about his "search for a GM" therefore as of now, his head is on the block to be called out on.

Maybe when the team makes the right hires, signs the right Free Agents and drafts the right players then he can start earning some more respect.

Agreed. He has to earn our trust. Not the other way around..
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Jed's a nice man, but hes very young and way way over his head. Thats part of the reason the 49ers are in the mess they are in. He has screwed up big time in the last 5 years. Nolan turned out to be a huge mistake, bad move after bad move, loo what we are left with, last game of the season we have no HC, No GM and we still have Alex Smith as our starting QB after 5 seasons of hell. If anything Jed should be fired. But his Mom owns the team so that ain't going to happen. He better get the RIGHT GM this time around or SF could end up losing this team to another city.

Jed took control in 2008 he Did not have final say on NoWin, or Mcclueless or ALex. His one biggie is the emotional hiring of Singleterry
Originally posted by FL9er:
From NFL.com:

Quote:

"I've been a fan of the 49ers my whole life," York said. "I know what fans want. Results. They should be upset. I'm upset. We're not where we need to be. It needs to be obvious -- 'This is who the 49ers are. This is what the 49ers do.' We're lacking that."

Well at least he comes out and sees it the way the majority of us see it. Time to walk the talk Jed.
Originally posted by BobS:
Most of you crack me up with your blind faith and support of what this franchise is doing. I can see having blind faith in 49er management when it was winning 10 or more games a year. The Yorks have been a complete failure, until they show something positive, how can anyone believe in them?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Who started this thread anyway? Jed York
Keep in mind this is more about the head coach than anything else. If Jed hires Baalke and Baalke plucks Harbaugh than all of a sudden Jed does exactly what everyone has been asking him to do, and Baalke looks more and more like a capable man for the job. I'm just saying, don't panic and cry yet... Give this search a chance to unfold.
Share 49ersWebzone