LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Did Vernon's post-TD tirade spark change at QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think this might have played a huge part in the change at QB. Everyone knows VD and Sing are EXTREMELY tight. Immediately after that TD last week, Vernon went to the sidelines and berated one of our offensive coaches (can't remember who).

With Troy neglecting Davis and Davis seeming partial to Alex throughout Troy's stint , I think this was a major factor.

Anyone agree?
not sure why he'd direct his angst against Troy Smith when he just scored the longest pass play for a TD of the year from a throw by said QB.

And then there's the drop later on in the game...
maybe if VD caught the 2nd deep pass, he might get more looks
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
not sure why he'd direct his angst against Troy Smith when he just scored the longest pass play for a TD of the year from a throw by said QB.

In no way, shape or form is this a knock against Troy. I'm furious right now that they've thrown Alex back in there. I hate the man with every fiber of my soul.

I'm just curious if Davis had a big part in Alex being thrown back in.
I think it was more, "get me the ball! That's what happens when you get me the ball" than anything else. He seemed to be talking to the QB coach who sends the plays in from Mike Johnson, I assume to tell Johnson to start calling his number more often.
I was wondering what was going on after the TD. Anyone know what exactly that was all about??
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I was wondering what was going on after the TD. Anyone know what exactly that was all about??

Originally posted by foreign49er:
I think it was more, "get me the ball! That's what happens when you get me the ball" than anything else. He seemed to be talking to the QB coach who sends the plays in from Mike Johnson, I assume to tell Johnson to start calling his number more often.

Exactly this.

I think the change comes down to redzone efficiency and Alex Smith was one of the best in the Red Zone before his injury.

Everyone saw the over throw to VD in the Zona game by Troy Smith and even thou that didn't hurt them, it did in the Green Bay game.

Last year Alex made a game of it losing 28-24 in Green Bay.

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

In no way, shape or form is this a knock against Troy. I'm furious right now that they've thrown Alex back in there. I hate the man with every fiber of my soul.

I'm just curious if Davis had a big part in Alex being thrown back in.

Troy still has problems getting off throws to the short middle of the field. (Not that it hinders VD anyways since he's not the polished route runner like Tony Gonzales, Dallas Clark, et.al)

I guess at this point, the coaches see Alex as having the better chance of using the whole field. Troy has the better chance of making big plays.

The decision to use the all-around mediocre light-hitting boxer versus a limited guy but has a puncher's chance of ending the match.
vernon speaks at :42 if you want to skip the other stuff
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/49ers-Focus-Aiming-at-the-Seahawks/a09e3f21-6ecc-4550-963a-aae951d0d2c4#?id=a09e3f21-6ecc-4550-963a-aae951d0d2c4
Maybe Vernon said something to sing
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Troy still has problems getting off throws to the short middle of the field. (Not that it hinders VD anyways since he's not the polished route runner like Tony Gonzales, Dallas Clark, et.al)

I guess at this point, the coaches see Alex as having the better chance of using the whole field. Troy has the better chance of making big plays.

The decision to use the all-around mediocre light-hitting boxer versus a limited guy but has a puncher's chance of ending the match.

Boy, this is the understatement of the year. Before the Green Bay game he was 2 for 7 with one interception throwing to the middle of the field. He had a 7.1 QB rating throwing in the middle. I could put together the stats for after the Green Bay game on my own, but I don't feel the need. Basically all he added in that game was another interception.

Vernon Davis does his best work in the middle of the field. Other teams know that and they've tried to take it away, but before the Green Bay game it's still where he had most of his receiving yards. Of course he hurt himself and Troy with that drop in the deep middle.... hmmm....
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Did he do it on purpose?

LOL, you guys see some interesting things that I don't when I watch the games. I just saw a guy fired up, who happens to be a guy who gets fired up.
Share 49ersWebzone