LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

Did Vernon's post-TD tirade spark change at QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
not sure why he'd direct his angst against Troy Smith when he just scored the longest pass play for a TD of the year from a throw by said QB.

And then there's the drop later on in the game...

Did he do it on purpose?

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
LOL, you guys see some interesting things that I don't when I watch the games. I just saw a guy fired up, who happens to be a guy who gets fired up.

Yeah, you and foreign49er are probably closest to the truth. I was just stirring the pot.

not sure why he'd direct his angst against Troy Smith when he just scored the longest pass play for a TD of the year from a throw by said QB.

Alex threw a 53 yarder............
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:

My Dad's bigger than your Dad.
I agree Vernon Davis has not been getting ball enough he is clearly our best playmaker. Vernon Davis and Alex Smith have a chemistry for example last year VD lead nfl in td receptions because Alex throw to VD alot especially deep seams route that they have perfected to the tune of 3 tds vs texans last year in the 2nd half. I been wanting Alex back under center ever since we were shutout at home by bucs say what u want about Alex we have never been beaten at home that bad on his watch. I still remember the saints game when alex took us right down the field for what should have been game winning td with under 2 minutes in the game vs world champion saints. As usual our defense blew the lead but i still thought Alex took a step that game toward being a good QB. Vernon Davis has always been big Alex Smith supporter and with his knowledge of the playbook he gives us best chance to win out and win division & make the playoffs. Another thing troy smith did was take too many damn sacks he had his chance lets see what Alex can do last 4 games win and your in playoffs
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
NO

probably not, I think VD was more mad at the play calling.
Originally posted by valrod33:
vernon speaks at :42 if you want to skip the other stuff
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/49ers-Focus-Aiming-at-the-Seahawks/a09e3f21-6ecc-4550-963a-aae951d0d2c4#?id=a09e3f21-6ecc-4550-963a-aae951d0d2c4
Maybe Vernon said something to sing
That tirade affected our momentum negatively after a t.d. instead of it being positive.
It was, ''Hey, look Vernon is mad at someone and yelling on the sidelines.Animosity anyone?''

instead of,''Hey, look, the niners are only down a point. They're playing like a good team.''
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I think the change comes down to redzone efficiency and Alex Smith was one of the best in the Red Zone before his injury.

Everyone saw the over throw to VD in the Zona game by Troy Smith and even thou that didn't hurt them, it did in the Green Bay game.

Last year Alex made a game of it losing 28-24 in Green Bay.

I love the revisionists.

Alex Smith was HORRIBLE in that game. H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.

Like any misleading score -- it does not show that the game was essentially over by halftime. Alex underthrew and overthrew his receivers during the first half -- or took costly sacks.

Then -- in the 4th quarter -- when it appeared the Niners might make a comeback -- he killed us with his traditional interception.

The Niners then went on to score a couple of late TD's in garbage time to make it appear close.

The Pack was up 23-3 at halftime. We were sucking wind. We were never in that game -- thanks to Alex Smith.

Check it for yourself...
damn, we need a 3 headed monster at QB to succeed:

Alex Smith in the RZ
Troy Smith for the deep pass
David Carr for.....uh....waterboy?

That was blown out of proportion. It's good to show emotion in this type of situation. This team has underperformed and we lost that game. At least he cares.

The change at QB happened because Troy Smith sucks.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:

My Dad's bigger than your Dad.

Lol. Not sure why he threw that in there. Not trying make comparisons. Just saying that it would seem weird for VD to go on a tirade about Troy Smith specifically, right after a pretty significant TD pass play.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
I think it was more, "get me the ball! That's what happens when you get me the ball" than anything else. He seemed to be talking to the QB coach who sends the plays in from Mike Johnson, I assume to tell Johnson to start calling his number more often.

Agreed. This is all it is.

Whatever happens to Mike Singletary at the end of the season, we can all thank him for turning Vernon into a team player and a leader.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I think this might have played a huge part in the change at QB. Everyone knows VD and Sing are EXTREMELY tight. Immediately after that TD last week, Vernon went to the sidelines and berated one of our offensive coaches (can't remember who).

With Troy neglecting Davis and Davis seeming partial to Alex throughout Troy's stint , I think this was a major factor.

Anyone agree?
Vernon yelling at QB coach discussion...
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I was wondering what was going on after the TD. Anyone know what exactly that was all about??

Why did you post this? Vernon was punkin the sh*t out of matthews before one of the drives. Matthews didn't want any part of it.
Share 49ersWebzone