There are 564 users in the forums
Bad timing?
- 1 2
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nov 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM
- global_nomad
- Veteran
- Posts: 14,827
Its only bad timing if you have owners that don't want to spend money.
Nov 24, 2010 at 6:50 AM
- rage49
- Member
- Posts: 55
Originally posted by sachie23:Originally posted by rage49:
Doesn't it seem that every time we need to make a move or personnel decision, it just simply isn't the right time for it? For example: Choosing Alex Smith in a year that simply had nothing to offer for quarterbacks; or picking OC's year after year from a sorry bottom-of-the-barrel bunch of losers; and now this from Maiocco: "Of all the seasons to be looking for a new head coach, this might be the worst.", referring to the possible lock-out of 2011.
How can we be so prone to so much bad timing?
Have to disagree here. There was an elite QB available...Niners chose Smith and he fell to Green Bay. McCarthy and Turner are excellent offensive minds, they just got head coaching jobs. Hostler and Raye were awful hires though.
Bad timing and bad circumstance? I guess I just see us falling into the same situation again this offseason. We need a head coach and a quarterback. If our first and second choices aren't available, we settle for scrubs and another stretch of mediocrity.
Nov 24, 2010 at 7:01 AM
- English
- Moderator
- Posts: 41,413
Originally posted by billbird2111:Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I think it all goes back to Terry Donohue. Followed by firing Mooch, who IMO, didnt deserve to be fired. Then you follow that bonehead move by hiring Dennis Erickson. Nolan and Singletary made sense at the time they were hired, so I wont knock the moves just because hindsight is 20/20.
Overall, I think management is getting better, but for the majority of this draught it has been one stupid move followed by another. Then on the other hand, you have every other team surrounding the Niners making moves to improve their team. It's frustrating to say the least, and until we get a football guy in the FO, I have a feeling this wont change.
Mooch was awful and needed to go. Nice guy, but too nice to be a coach.
Bill Walsh was casting such a long shadow over the guy too. It just wasn't fair.
I think -- however -- that in the past eight years -- that shadow has had time to properly fade away.
The next coach to resurrect this moribund franchise -- no matter how long it takes -- will be given the proper respect.
They won't say, "he was OK, but not like Bill."
Out of curiosity, which coach this decade was adversely affected by Bill Walsh's shadow? Who, out of Erickson, Nolan and Singletary, did we describe as ok, but not like Bill?
Nov 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM
- PowderdToastMn
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,043
Originally posted by kray28:Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I think it all goes back to Terry Donohue. Followed by firing Mooch, who IMO, didnt deserve to be fired. Then you follow that bonehead move by hiring Dennis Erickson. Nolan and Singletary made sense at the time they were hired, so I wont knock the moves just because hindsight is 20/20.
Overall, I think management is getting better, but for the majority of this draught it has been one stupid move followed by another. Then on the other hand, you have every other team surrounding the Niners making moves to improve their team. It's frustrating to say the least, and until we get a football guy in the FO, I have a feeling this wont change.
Mooch was awful and needed to go. Nice guy, but too nice to be a coach.
Wait, so our last winning head coach who went 12-4 and 10-6 in his last two seasons and got to the second round of the playoffs was awful and needed to go?
Because he ran the clock out in the last minute of the first half of a thrashing in Tampa?
LMAO.
That's my point too. Mooch had a good resume with the Niners and he's by far the best coach we've had in the last ten years.
Nov 24, 2010 at 10:23 AM
- leolion
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,564
Originally posted by kray28:Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I think it all goes back to Terry Donohue. Followed by firing Mooch, who IMO, didnt deserve to be fired. Then you follow that bonehead move by hiring Dennis Erickson. Nolan and Singletary made sense at the time they were hired, so I wont knock the moves just because hindsight is 20/20.
Overall, I think management is getting better, but for the majority of this draught it has been one stupid move followed by another. Then on the other hand, you have every other team surrounding the Niners making moves to improve their team. It's frustrating to say the least, and until we get a football guy in the FO, I have a feeling this wont change.
Mooch was awful and needed to go. Nice guy, but too nice to be a coach.
Wait, so our last winning head coach who went 12-4 and 10-6 in his last two seasons and got to the second round of the playoffs was awful and needed to go?
Because he ran the clock out in the last minute of the first half of a thrashing in Tampa?
LMAO.
Back in those days the 9ers' HC was expected to get the team to the Super Bowl, or face the consequences.
- 1 2