LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 342 users in the forums

ESPN: Sam Bradford best in NFC West for 3rd down passing, Alex Smith worst

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:

fair enough, nice analysis, and I think that is a good counter-response that is deserving of attention. Of course if we rounded out the picture by talking about wins/losses, calmness under pressure, and how the above results compare relative to # of years of experience....... the comparisons between Bradford and Smith come to an unceremonious and screeching halt. BTW, what was Smith's 1st and 10 rating?

Hey, thanks for being objective and taking a look. I have no arguments for Smith vs. Bradford as far as overall picture goes. I've seen Bradford play about three quarters of football. I came away impressed with what I saw. I plan on watching him again towards the end of the season before I solidify an opinion.

As far as Alex Smith goes, I don't think he's as bad as you say. I don't think he's good, either. Overall this season he's been below average, but low end starting quality. The last few games before the injury, I'd say he was playing slightly above average.

Alex Smith's rating on 1st and 10 is 68.4, which put him second behind Anderson. Like I said, situational stats are fun, but we're looking at some of the worst QBs in the league, statistically.

That said, after taking a closer look at the breakdown of Bradford's performance on third down, I found it impressive... statistically. Without having seen the actual plays, it's hard to say for sure just how impressed I should be. His rating on 3rd and long stood out... 117.8. He has been in 3rd and long situations over three times as often as third and short.

Again, having not seen all his games, it's hard to say how impressed I should be. He has only completed 3 passes thrown over 20 yards and has only attempted 13. His longest pass when run after catch is factored in was 49 yards... and thrown behind the line of scrimmage. So I don't know how much of his third down success is receiver effort or good play design vs. good passing.

The statistics tell me that the Rams are really protecting him. They are being conservative in the passing game, even more so than we are.

Anyway, enough rambling. Hopefully Bradford crashes and burns when given a longer leash. Hopefully Troy Smith and his Jedi powers will give us a great QB.

I hope we can have civil objective discussions in the future.

May the force be with you.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Why is Troy not on the list ? He threw 19 passes ? He has the best qb rating of any QB in the league 115.2

That equates to 2.4 passes per game.

It's games played by the team, not by the player.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:

nice work

Thanks!

Mmmm.... warm fuzzy.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
From NFL.com* compiled by me.

*to qualify you must have thrown at least 14 passes/game

NFC West QB ratings and league rank:

Sam Bradford: 75.9 - 26th

Alex Smith: 75 - 27th

Matt Hasselbeck: 70.7 - 28th

Derek Anderson: 62.8 - 30th

Counter point to Bradford's 3rd down QB rating: On 1st and 10 his rating is 43.7, worst of those four. According to ESPN.com.

We can play with fun statistics all day if you want to. Bottom line... NFC West QBs not looking so hot.

I hope Troy Smith really is a Jedi.

fair enough, nice analysis, and I think that is a good counter-response that is deserving of attention. Of course if we rounded out the picture by talking about wins/losses, calmness under pressure, and how the above results compare relative to # of years of experience....... the comparisons between Bradford and Smith come to an unceremonious and screeching halt. BTW, what was Smith's 1st and 10 rating?

On 1st Down:

Smith - 82.9 Rating - 5 TD, 3 Int
Bradford - 46.2 Rating - 0 TDs, 5 Int

*edit* - Woodwo says in a post above that "Alex Smith's rating on 1st and 10 is 68.4" are you trying to pull a fast one?
[ Edited by Shaj on Nov 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HomerJ:

On 1st Down:

Smith - 82.9 Rating - 5 TD, 3 Int
Bradford - 46.2 Rating - 0 TDs, 5 Int

Those 1st down ratings are correct. I just wanted to say that I think it's interesting that when factoring all 1st downs his rating is 82.9 and on 1st and 10 it's 68.4....

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

cool

What's their ratting on 2nd down, in the 4th quarter, while trailing by 3 or more points when the wind is blowing 10mph or under out of the west? Pretty sure if we find this answer we will finally know who will still be a stating quarterback in two years.

I don't have access to the weather factor! ::cries::

Other than that, I could probably calculate it for you.
The fact that we are comparing Alex to another rookie or backup/third stringer is a problem in itself.
Now comparing Alex Smiths rookie season to Bradford would be reasonable since the talent the Rams have around Bradford is comparable to what we had in 2005. If you don't believe me, then take a look at the stats of their skilled players: they are not impressive yet Bradford is playing much better than Alex did in his rookie year.

I don even care anymore because Alex lost his starting job...again. That is another tell in itself.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

*edit* - Woodwo says in a post above that "Alex Smith's rating on 1st and 10 is 68.4" are you trying to pull a fast one?

You're gonna have to edit this again. His stat is correct, I commented on it.

That's not why you need to edit it, though.

It's Wodwo, not Woodwo. Though, I can't blame you for the mistake... it is ye olde english.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

I don even care anymore

Then why did you write such a long post?

C'mon, stats are for fun. Don't you like fun? I know you do you little minx. ::tickle::
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Feel free to continue this thread if it continues in an analysis of QB rating based on down and distance. If it devolves to anything else (like the typical "he's good...no he's not" "Hey quit inciting" stuff that was pointed out by backontop) then the thread gets the lock.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
The fact that we are comparing Alex to another rookie or backup/third stringer is a problem in itself.
Now comparing Alex Smiths rookie season to Bradford would be reasonable since the talent the Rams have around Bradford is comparable to what we had in 2005. If you don't believe me, then take a look at the stats of their skilled players: they are not impressive yet Bradford is playing much better than Alex did in his rookie year.

I don even care anymore because Alex lost his starting job...again. That is another tell in itself.

I was thinking all of the same things, but was sure my response (if I wrote those things down) would be viewed as "hater excuses". But I agree with you. If we compared Alex's rookie year stats to Bradfords, it would be an embarrassment.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oscar:
Feel free to continue this thread if it continues in an analysis of QB rating based on down and distance. If it devolves to anything else (like the typical "he's good...no he's not" "Hey quit inciting" stuff that was pointed out by Boast) then the thread gets the lock.

Yay! You are champion of statistics! My knight in shining armor! (no homo)
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
If we compared Alex's rookie year stats to Bradfords, it would be an embarrassment.

Is there a worse rookie year? I've never seen one.... If anybody knows of one, I'd like to see it. It'd be like seeing a spotted snow leopard!
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
I mean, honestly for me this thread ended at Bradford is better than Smith. Call stats all you want, but that's the reality. Sam Bradford is a better QB than Smith end of thread.

But you guys want to keep debating this round and round so feel free. Just don't get warned or banned
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I mean, honestly for me this thread ended at Bradford is better than Smith. Call stats all you want, but that's the reality. Sam Bradford is a better QB than Smith end of thread.

But you guys want to keep debating this round and round so feel free. Just don't get warned or banned

Awww.... no love for stats.

Can't argue with you, though. Stats support it.

Hope he chokes when they open up the offense, though.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Awww.... no love for stats.

Can't argue with you, though. Stats support it.

Hope he chokes when they open up the offense, though.

Oh I LOVE me some stats. I would pull out the DYAR from Football Outsiders but it would only support our position
Share 49ersWebzone