49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 500 users in the forums

Holy Cow, Troy Smith starts in London!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'm not hating on T. Smith but what does a single person here know about him? He's barely played so it's impossible to know what the guy has. If he comes out and plays horrible are you going come with the hate you have spewed on Alex, and David Carr(after .5 of a game). It's like you're expecting this guy that has never played really to come out and play phenominal and "use his legs" and "run with this porous line." How do people know he can do this? He hasn't played.

I don't know, I'm all for giving him a shot. But I feel bad for the guy if he doesn't come out and go 20-22 3 td's 0 Int's. I just think you fans expect far too much. I expect to see some major growing pains. Will he play well? I sure hope so, but I'm not here expecting him to play lights out. I don't know, I just hope people don't turn on him as fast as they turned on "We Want Carr."

He is a short 6 0" with a rocket arm. He is athletic but has a long delivery. Sort of like Byron Leftwich delivery. Here is a youtube video.

Troy Smith

leftwich has a terrible delivery.
I recall reading the scouting report on Troy Smith before the draft. The analysis compared him to Jeff Garcia. One way or another Garcia is back as the starter.

I was not too excited about Troy's highlight reel, Granted he's a few years along in his development now. I was counting the time he had to throw and for the first 2 minutes of highlights he made one throw in under 4 seconds. He did create time for some of his throws, but for the most part he sat back in a nice clean pocket and waited for receivers to get open.

I'm stoked he's starting over Carr (I imagine watching him last week was more painful than giving birth to a child out of my ****) and think he'll be fun to watch either way, but look for Sing to dummy down this offense even more...and no one can win with an offense like that. Dear God, I hope I can eat crow for this post!
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,887
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'm not hating on T. Smith but what does a single person here know about him? He's barely played so it's impossible to know what the guy has. If he comes out and plays horrible are you going come with the hate you have spewed on Alex, and David Carr(after .5 of a game). It's like you're expecting this guy that has never played really to come out and play phenominal and "use his legs" and "run with this porous line." How do people know he can do this? He hasn't played.

I don't know, I'm all for giving him a shot. But I feel bad for the guy if he doesn't come out and go 20-22 3 td's 0 Int's. I just think you fans expect far too much. I expect to see some major growing pains. Will he play well? I sure hope so, but I'm not here expecting him to play lights out. I don't know, I just hope people don't turn on him as fast as they turned on "We Want Carr."

You make a valid point, but comparing Troy to Alex and Carr isn't even close to being the same thing. Like you said, Troy has never had a fair shot at making a name for himself. Alex and Carr had multiple seasons as starters to prove what they had, and both failed miserably.

Agreed, but to be honest our QB situation is in terrible shape, so its okay to let Troy start but with a short leash, at this point what could it hurt.
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'm not hating on T. Smith but what does a single person here know about him? He's barely played so it's impossible to know what the guy has. If he comes out and plays horrible are you going come with the hate you have spewed on Alex, and David Carr(after .5 of a game). It's like you're expecting this guy that has never played really to come out and play phenominal and "use his legs" and "run with this porous line." How do people know he can do this? He hasn't played.

I don't know, I'm all for giving him a shot. But I feel bad for the guy if he doesn't come out and go 20-22 3 td's 0 Int's. I just think you fans expect far too much. I expect to see some major growing pains. Will he play well? I sure hope so, but I'm not here expecting him to play lights out. I don't know, I just hope people don't turn on him as fast as they turned on "We Want Carr."

He is a short 6 0" with a rocket arm. He is athletic but has a long delivery. Sort of like Byron Leftwich delivery. Here is a youtube video.

Troy Smith

Yes (que fist pump)! Drew Breez is 6 foot also. Superbowl!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM ]
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'm not hating on T. Smith but what does a single person here know about him? He's barely played so it's impossible to know what the guy has. If he comes out and plays horrible are you going come with the hate you have spewed on Alex, and David Carr(after .5 of a game). It's like you're expecting this guy that has never played really to come out and play phenominal and "use his legs" and "run with this porous line." How do people know he can do this? He hasn't played.

I don't know, I'm all for giving him a shot. But I feel bad for the guy if he doesn't come out and go 20-22 3 td's 0 Int's. I just think you fans expect far too much. I expect to see some major growing pains. Will he play well? I sure hope so, but I'm not here expecting him to play lights out. I don't know, I just hope people don't turn on him as fast as they turned on "We Want Carr."

He is a short 6 0" with a rocket arm. He is athletic but has a long delivery. Sort of like Byron Leftwich delivery. Here is a youtube video.

Troy Smith

Most of his college highlights are almost misleading now cause mechanics have far improved since college. Watched a lot of preseason tape (with the Ravens), and you could tell from the practice video (which came out earlier today) that his footwork has Jim Zorn's WCO-stamp all over it.

The Troy Smith we'll see Sunday will be far different from any Troy Smith we've seen since OSU/2008 Baltimore scrub games, for better or for worse.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM ]
This is probably the best vid of Troy I've seen as a pro:



Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
I was not too excited about Troy's highlight reel, Granted he's a few years along in his development now. I was counting the time he had to throw and for the first 2 minutes of highlights he made one throw in under 4 seconds. He did create time for some of his throws, but for the most part he sat back in a nice clean pocket and waited for receivers to get open.

I'm stoked he's starting over Carr (I imagine watching him last week was more painful than giving birth to a child out of my ****) and think he'll be fun to watch either way, but look for Sing to dummy down this offense even more...and no one can win with an offense like that. Dear God, I hope I can eat crow for this post!

To be fair, that's going to be the case for the majority of just about any QB's highlight reel.

I'm excited about what his mobility can do because of our oline's shakey pass protection... I think it could really open things up.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
This is probably the best vid of Troy I've seen as a pro:




That pick at 1:08 is a really badly thrown ball - it's really tough to throw a ball into a tight zone or a lose double coverage. Looks good otherwise.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
This is probably the best vid of Troy I've seen as a pro:




Still don't like his mechanics!
Originally posted by doodle:
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
I was not too excited about Troy's highlight reel, Granted he's a few years along in his development now. I was counting the time he had to throw and for the first 2 minutes of highlights he made one throw in under 4 seconds. He did create time for some of his throws, but for the most part he sat back in a nice clean pocket and waited for receivers to get open.

I'm stoked he's starting over Carr (I imagine watching him last week was more painful than giving birth to a child out of my ****) and think he'll be fun to watch either way, but look for Sing to dummy down this offense even more...and no one can win with an offense like that. Dear God, I hope I can eat crow for this post!

To be fair, that's going to be the case for the majority of just about any QB's highlight reel.

I'm excited about what his mobility can do because of our oline's shakey pass protection... I think it could really open things up.

Maybe so, but I think being able to decipher information quickly and throw a receiver open is very important and it'd be nice to see some of his highlights where he does just that. For example, watching Andrew Luck play, the ball is out in three second a majority of the time and that's why I think he'll be a good pro quarterback.
what number will troy use, # 1????
Originally posted by whowantwhat:
what number will troy use, # 1????

Yeah, he's been #1 since he signed.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by whowantwhat:
what number will troy use, # 1????

Yeah, he's been #1 since he signed.

dont most players that use number 1 suck?
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone