Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I heart SD for going at ZRF and I wonder why ZRF never commented on the fact that Carolina's D has actually been above average this year.

Because the Niners defense is ranked number 10 OVERALL (better than Carolina.

Our passing defense only allows 20 yards MORE per game by opposing QBs than Carolina's passing defense, and are ranked number 11 in the league (top 1/3).

Yet, it didnt seem to stop their QB who was btw benched at the start fo the season. So why should we excuse ours for a half-assed performance ?

You mean the QB who threw for over 300 yards against us today ??

Yeah, so if a benched QB can throw for over 300 yards against the number 11 ranked defense which only allows 20 yards MORE per game passing than Carolina's pass defense, then why cant Alex be held accountable for not doing the same against them ?

Mail me the game tapes so I can get a better look at what happened. Your always so quick to pin blame squarely on Alex. You do realize that while it all starts with the QB it takes 44 others guys to help the QB win right ?

Gore ran for over 100 yards. The oline did their part at least part of the time. All this can be applied to Moore as well. Except Alex went 9/19; Moore blew us up. Why cant we hold Smith accountable for an average performance against their D ?

I ran the stats on excel. The average QB performance against Carolina going into this game was 83.6. Smith was 87.6, which is very close (considering the standard deviation was 18.2). He played average.

Again, comparisons are being made with Carr. In previous games, SMith was being compared to himself from previous years. No one wants to compare him to good NFL QBs......

That's because he's not comparable to good NFL QBs.

Look at the teams that are doing well.

NYJ - Mark Sanchez has 9 TDs to 2 INTs.
Indianapolis - do I have to explain Peyton Manning to anyone?
New England - do I have to explain Tom Brady to anyone?
Pittsburgh - Big Ben has 5 TDs to only 1 INT.
Baltimore - Joe Flacco is not great, but his 84.2 QB rating puts him in the pretty good range. He also has 10 TDs to 6 INTs.
Tennessee - Vince Young has 7 TDs to only 2 INTs and a QB rating of near 100.
Houston - Matt Schaub has 9 TDs to 5 INTs and a 93 QB rating.
KC - Matt Cassel has 9 TDs, 3 INTs and a 91.5 QB rating.
NYG - Eli Manning has 10 TDs to 8 INTs, but a QB rating over 86.
ATL - Matt Ryan has 12 TDs to 5 INTs and a QB rating of almost 90.

Anybody notice a trend? With the exception of NYG and Baltimore, every team that's doing well has good QB play and even those two teams have more-than-adequate QB play. Meanwhile, Alex has 9 TDs to 9 INTs and a rating of 75. Not all those guys on the list can be considered top QBs, but they're all at least comparable and are big reasons their teams are winning and leading the pack as we speak.

The bottom line is good QB play leads to wins in this league, especially the way it is present-day. If our QB doesn't stack up to the competition, we need a new QB.

new qb, new defensive backs, new head coach, new gm and a new season
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by seeking6th:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I heart SD for going at ZRF and I wonder why ZRF never commented on the fact that Carolina's D has actually been above average this year.

Our passing defense only allows 20 yards MORE per game by opposing QBs than Carolina's passing defense, and are ranked number 11 in the league (top 1/3).

Yet, it didnt seem to stop their QB who was btw benched at the start fo the season. So why should we excuse ours for a half-assed performance ?

Yeah, so if a benched QB can throw for over 300 yards against the number 11 ranked defense which only allows 20 yards MORE per game passing than Carolina's pass defense, then why cant Alex be held accountable for not doing the same against them ?

Mail me the game tapes so I can get a better look at what happened. Your always so quick to pin blame squarely on Alex. You do realize that while it all starts with the QB it takes 44 others guys to help the QB win right ?

Gore ran for over 100 yards. The oline did their part at least part of the time. All this can be applied to Moore as well. Except Alex went 9/19; Moore blew us up. Why cant we hold Smith accountable for an average performance against their D ?

I ran the stats on excel. The average QB performance against Carolina going into this game was 83.6. Smith was 87.6, which is very close (considering the standard deviation was 18.2). He played average.

Again, comparisons are being made with Carr. In previous games, SMith was being compared to himself from previous years. No one wants to compare him to good NFL QBs......

Baltimore - Joe Flacco is not great, but his 84.2 QB rating puts him in the pretty good range. He also has 10 TDs to 6 INTs.

Anybody notice a trend? With the exception of NYG and Baltimore, every team that's doing well has good QB play and even those two teams have more-than-adequate QB play. Meanwhile, Alex has 9 TDs to 9 INTs and a rating of 75. Not all those guys on the list can be considered top QBs, but they're all at least comparable and are big reasons their teams are winning and leading the pack as we speak.

The bottom line is good QB play leads to wins in this league, especially the way it is present-day. If our QB doesn't stack up to the competition, we need a new QB.

as long as it's not the same 'ol Alex, I'm happy. I think if we had a great QB at the helm, Sing would be smelling like a rose right now, in fact it'd be Nolan, and he'd be smelling like a rose right now. Smith is a coach killer.

as long as it's not the same 'ol Alex, I'm happy. I think if we had a great QB at the helm, Sing would be smelling like a rose right now, in fact it'd be Nolan, and he'd be smelling like a rose right now. Smith is a coach killer.

No matter who we had at QB, he would be getting killed by the s**tty oline play we are getting. I hoped Solari would be the fix, but the line cannot pass protect for s**t.
  • evil
  • Veteran
How many of Alex's pick can be directly attributed to him ?

And isn't Shaun Hill's QB rating under 80 ?
WITH THIS OLINE

NOBODY CAN WIN US THE GAME.

ESPECIALLY WITH THE PUS*Y PLAYCALLING
Some of you continue to whine that you want a great QB. Like a spoiled child who was never satisfied with the toy he was given. So, tell me, where are you going to get the GREAT QB? Just snap your fingers? Maybe the Rams will let you have Bradford. Or maybe IND has grown tired of Manning. Or maybe Brees or Brady, who by the way played worse than Alex did today.

As far as I am concerned, Alex is the best we have at the moment. Since an upgrade in the short term is not in the cards, I happen to think the team should have developed a more solid line by now and brought in at least one more good receiver. This allows Alex to perform with more consistency. Is he perfect? Absolutely not. But too many times his throws were forced because of an OL failure. Or routes were not properly run, catchable passes were not made or were tipped. Or penalties drove us backward. The list goes on, but your blind hatred will not allow you to admit the truth. Given the circumstances he was put under, I happen to think he has done pretty well.
  • dj43

It would take a GREAT QB to win with the aggregation that is posing as an "offensive" unit out there now. Even then I'm not sure they could win with the offensive mind-set that still prevails most of the time.

The OL is a mess. None of the 49er WRs would start on any of the teams rider mentioned above. Even Vernon Davis would not be guaranteed a starting role on some of those teams.

Let's face it. Jimmy Johnson was correct way back after the second or third game of the season. He said "this team was built to be a power running team and little else...and they weren't doing that well at all." The situation has changed very little.
hell along with that we couldve had pete carrol souldve wouldve couldve the madness has to end
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
getting rid of Hill was the right move at the time. He had no future here, we had found his ceiling. the big mistake was not bringing in a backup QB that the team would actually trust to come into the game, which, in hindsight, makes the trading of Hill a bad move. I like Hill a lot, and think he's a very good backup QB, but that move is not the only mistake that has led us to a 1-6 record.

It was a good move in the sense that we all knew he wasnt going to be the starter for the next 10 years.

It was a bad move because he would have been a good backup plan if Smith struggled/injured (A), and could have served a backup role even after drafting a rookie next year (B).

In actuality, Singletary knew that Hill was arguably the better QB. Thats why he got rid of him. Like he said.......no competition for Smith.....

i'm bored by this conspiracy theory crap people are throwing out. I agree that the team failed to bring in anyone who could really compete for the starting QB job--or even anyone who could adequately come in in relief--but I think getting a draft pick for a guy that you don't think can get it done for you is a good move. It has nothing to do with some kind of conspiracy to help Smith.
Agree.

Originally posted by dj43:
getting rid of Hill was the right move at the time. He had no future here, we had found his ceiling. the big mistake was not bringing in a backup QB that the team would actually trust to come into the game, which, in hindsight, makes the trading of Hill a bad move. I like Hill a lot, and think he's a very good backup QB, but that move is not the only mistake that has led us to a 1-6 record.

It was a good move in the sense that we all knew he wasnt going to be the starter for the next 10 years.

It was a bad move because he would have been a good backup plan if Smith struggled/injured (A), and could have served a backup role even after drafting a rookie next year (B).

In actuality, Singletary knew that Hill was arguably the better QB. Thats why he got rid of him. Like he said.......no competition for Smith.....

i'm bored by this conspiracy theory crap people are throwing out. I agree that the team failed to bring in anyone who could really compete for the starting QB job--or even anyone who could adequately come in in relief--but I think getting a draft pick for a guy that you don't think can get it done for you is a good move. It has nothing to do with some kind of conspiracy to help Smith.
Agree.

You two obviously didn't listen to Dingleberry's post game presser after the loss to....I forgot by now, shi!t it's been so many losses....
Shaun Hill didn't even want to be here.

"I'm glad to be out of San Francisco, it's a big mess out there."

The f**k is the point of this thread?

Oh wait, it's made by Shaj...

It's probably somehow a slight at Alex Smith, and I haven't read more then half page of a 10 page thread. Something like this was said somewhere in this thread, "The reason we didn't resign Shaun Hill is because Singletary/ our front office, didn't want a QB competition for Alex Smith."

LOL. What a joke. The reason we didn't resign Shaun Hill was probably because he didn't even want to be here with this terrible front office. If you are saying Alex is the reason we don't have a legitimate backup, whether it's Shaun Hill or someone else, you're delusional and just sprouting bulls**t to try and blame something else on Alex.

[ Edited by Method on Oct 24, 2010 at 22:59:44 ]
If only we had Peyton Manning we would be winning the division. If only we had a head coach who knew what he was doing... the list goes on.
Originally posted by Method:
Shaun Hill didn't even want to be here.

"I'm glad to be out of San Francisco, it's a big mess out there."

The f**k is the point of this thread?

Oh wait, it's made by Shaj...

It's probably somehow a slight at Alex Smith, and I haven't read more then half page of a 10 page thread. Something like this was said somewhere in this thread, "The reason we didn't resign Shaun Hill is because Singletary/ our front office, didn't want a QB competition for Alex Smith."

LOL. What a joke. The reason we didn't resign Shaun Hill was probably because he didn't even want to be here with this terrible front office. If you are saying Alex is the reason we don't have a legitimate backup, whether it's Shaun Hill or someone else, you're delusional and just sprouting bulls**t to try and blame something else on Alex.

Shaun Hill was traded.

Singletary clearly states in one of his post game pressers that he removed competition from the QB spot so that Smith didn't have to look over his shoulder and could focus on getting better. That's verbatim. He couldn't have made it any clearer.

I'm just glad that we might finally be moving on from the s**tstain era that Smith/Yorks/Nolan/Singletary drove us into.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for binary2nd.

lol, Sing doesn't even want his QB to be the center if his Offense.
Share 49ersWebzone