LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

Joe Staley and Taylor Mays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
has anyone else noticed that teams are not able to throw the long ball on us as much? Speed does matter..
Originally posted by AlexThief:
has anyone else noticed that teams are not able to throw the long ball on us as much? Speed does matter..

I thought we did a relatively good job of containing Maclin and Jackson. Someone at The Stick tabulated Jackson's stats incorrectly, but still, we contained them pretty well in comparison with other teams in the league.
The lack of help for Davis on the right side has been a real head-scratcher. If they are planning to move him to LT next year leaving him on the proverbial island begins to make some sense.
Staylor Maysjoe
It's amazing, I said weeks ago that Taylor Mays should be starting. I pointed out that his "liability in coverage" was no worse than Lewis', and that Mays had a lot more upside that would only be helped by playing time.

Several people disagreed, and a few laughed.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
FWIW :

Joe Staley - 2 penalties this year (both holding) + 2 sacks allowed

Anthony Davis - 5 penalties this year (4 were false starts) + 4 sacks allowed.

Show me the pressures.

Don't have those.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
FWIW :

Show me the pressures.

Don't have those.

QB Hits 39
2nd worst behind Bears at 45

sacks 12 (ranked 17th)
respectable

[ Edited by 9erfan4life on Oct 20, 2010 at 08:05:57 ]
Staley has been very solid since drafted. I agree he is having a slightly down year but he is a good O-lineman.

Mays is a Baller and big upgrade. He is young and just doesn't want to be beat deep. When he gets better corner play in front of him he too will be a beats against the run.
.....are two of the more overrated players on the board.
Mays has looked decent. I really haven't seen him doing anything to make me say wow(minus the blocked punt recovery) and he hasn't really done anything terrible.

Staley has always been bad and run blocking but now his pass protection is falling off. What's sad is that he's gettign beat by speed rushers when his strongest attribute coming out of the draft was supposed to be his good footwork and agility for his position

He has never and I mean never proven he was worth trading a first rounder for. Every time I c Staley I get upset. Won't be an elite lineman in his career. Boy did we get jipped on that one.

[ Edited by 49rz4Life on Oct 20, 2010 at 08:48:51 ]
  • dald1
  • Veteran
FWIW :

Show me the pressures.

Don't have those.

just take a look at the last play of the eagles game....case n point
Staley will pick it up and have a better year

there have been a few snaps where it looked as Joe might have jumped a little early but never got called for it, so that leads me to believe his quickness is his strong point and he will only improve through out the season
Mays hasnt' been as much of a liability as I thought he would be. I think he could be really good.

Staley has always been overrated, but he's at least usually been pretty solid. He appears to be struggling along with the rest of the line. there needs to be a shakeup there. My preference would be to keep Staley in, though, and bring in Sims for Davis. Or bring in Sims for Staley and move Staley over to Davis' spot. And bring in Heitmann in some capacity, which I think would help everyone on the line.
Staley has disappointed me, but I'm hoping that he'll recover for this season. Dixon's TD called back due to his holding penalty made me scream in anger so loud that I nearly lost my voice. Lucky for him, we got a TD right back on the next play. Otherwise, his goof up would be up there with Clements' INT/Fumble vs. Falcons.

As for Mays, he's been a pleasant surprise for us. I bet he'll continue to work hard and prove that he's a good Safety for us for years to come. My only complaint on him is that he should've had one or even two INTs vs. Raiders that could've stopped the drive which gave them their 3rd FG. Luckily, our D played strong and didn't allow a TD all game long.
Share 49ersWebzone