LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Smith + Crabtree = disaster (statistical proof)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Quote:
On Smith's 19 passes targeted at Crabtree, he has six completions for 81 yards with no touchdowns and four interceptions. Quarterback rating: 6.6.
On Smith's 100 passes targeted at other receivers, he has 66 completions for 651 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Quarterback rating: 86.7.

Let's not pretend that 86.7 is a good QB rating. That would be good enough to rank 16th in the league.

Subtract all of his work against the team's best corner and he still can barely get to an average quarterback.

Play calling on the Road with a young OLine didn't play any part in that right? Did you NOT see that Smith averages over 90 in most cases. Not good enough to be top 7 or even 8. But not bad for a guy people refer to as a Bust.

Face it, Smith is NOT as bad as he's made out to be around here. I hope Johnson can actually call a good flow of calls to keep momentum in our favor. Not calling two Screens on top of each other, not calling a FB Dive when a HB Counter would work better. I would like to see more Play Action, which Raye RARELY ever called. Smith can sell fakes to the RB pretty damn well. I just never understood why Raye and Sing did not get together and create a game plan using a lot of Play Action. Especially when they went to the Spreadcoast last season. Maybe 1 or 2 out of every 15 plays was Play Action. And that's being generous on my part.

I'm not going to hold my breath for a good outcome in Atlanta, but we should at least be in the same building in the event of a Loss.

We were not even in the same zip codes in Shattle and Kansas Shatty.

~Ceadder

Every team has 8 road games a year. Everyone else faces the same stuff Alex does.

If you selectively pick out stats...

I'm just going to agree with you that hopefully Johnson brings out the best in him. I don't think the season is lost just yet.

Ummmm isn't this what YOU do?

~Ceadder
Quote:
On Smith's 19 passes targeted at Crabtree, he has six completions for 81 yards with no touchdowns and four interceptions. Quarterback rating: 6.6.
On Smith's 100 passes targeted at other receivers, he has 66 completions for 651 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Quarterback rating: 86.7.

Let's not pretend that 86.7 is a good QB rating. That would be good enough to rank 16th in the league.

Subtract all of his work against the team's best corner and he still can barely get to an average quarterback.

Play calling on the Road with a young OLine didn't play any part in that right? Did you NOT see that Smith averages over 90 in most cases. Not good enough to be top 7 or even 8. But not bad for a guy people refer to as a Bust.

Face it, Smith is NOT as bad as he's made out to be around here. I hope Johnson can actually call a good flow of calls to keep momentum in our favor. Not calling two Screens on top of each other, not calling a FB Dive when a HB Counter would work better. I would like to see more Play Action, which Raye RARELY ever called. Smith can sell fakes to the RB pretty damn well. I just never understood why Raye and Sing did not get together and create a game plan using a lot of Play Action. Especially when they went to the Spreadcoast last season. Maybe 1 or 2 out of every 15 plays was Play Action. And that's being generous on my part.

I'm not going to hold my breath for a good outcome in Atlanta, but we should at least be in the same building in the event of a Loss.

~Ceadder

Every team has 8 road games a year. Everyone else faces the same stuff Alex does.

I'm just going to agree with you that hopefully Johnson brings out the best in him. I don't think the season is lost just yet.

~Ceadder

No, it's what Alexcusers do. They subtract things off his record to make him look like a better QB.

People who hate on Alex don't have to selectively pick out anything. They just show his 16-27 record and career 69 rating and call it a day.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM ]
It's pretty simple to understand. You don't play or practise during preseason, your play suffers. Not a coincedence, that Smith seems to be on the same page with everyone else, but can't connect with a player he hasn't had much live reps with, not just this year, but last year too.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
To WRs
Smith: 22 of 46, 264 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT
QB Rating: 36.9

Now remove plays thrown to Crabtree and you'll see the point of this thread.

Crabtree is not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Mike Nolan was not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Jimmy Raye was not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Norv Turner was not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Lame Kwame Harris is one of the worst tackles to ever start in the NFL -- but even he isn't to blame for Alex Smith Suckage.

Let's please stop this practice of throwing other players under the bus to explain the pi$$ poor play of Alex Smith?

This thread is ridiculous and should be locked immediately. Alex Smith has sucked for years. Bringing Crabtree onboard hasn't made him worse. Alex sucked as badly in 2005 as he sucks now in 2010.

This and That

I get the point, it's not Alex's fault he sucks now it's crabtree's

I don't care I put it ALL on Smith, stay late with Crabs, get on him to run his routes, build chemistry, be a f**king leader!
You think Drew Breese is great because all his wr's are great, or because he DEMANDS it from them?

Alex is a not an alpha male and everyone in the locker room smells it, he can't lead even if he tried. A real man would have told Nolan to Shut the f**k up and give me the damn ball, but Alex sat and took it, why because he is not an Alpha male he is a b***h!

Now come on, do you think Steve would have to tell Jerry to stay. If anything Smith put his time in, and Crabs decided to sit out the entire pre-season. OR maybe u forgot what Sing said, the elephant finally showed itself. And why DAvis called him out. So come on, u can knock Smith which is cool, but put the same blame on CRabs as well, thats all im saying.

Crabs is a grown ass man, and just like Nate Davis, if he cant be an Alpha male, and take charge of his own life and position, and tell himself that he needs to work on his craft to be better, then he shouldnt be on the team. If i remember Smith stayed all summer throwing to all the wideouts including Crabs. But in the pre-season games, only they were able to build a rapport.

Even tho we went 4-0 in pre-season which dont mean s**t, it was funny how we won with Crabs out on the side, while Smith built a rapport with everyone else but Crabs. I mean i laughed when Zieglar doesnt have half the talent crabs might, besides his speed, but it's funny when i see him play the WR position better than CRabs, (right now that is). I mean he goes up and gets the ball, regardless of the pass, and doesnt tip the ball in the air, or seem to slip constantly, or above all, give alex 4 int's when throwing in his direction.

I mean this is about Smith and Crabs connection, and at this point, want to face fact or not, but Smith will most likely throw an INT when throwing in Crabs direction as opposed to everyone else. Which the stats were put up to prove just that.

Are you comparing Crabtree to Jerry Rice, you know who Jerry Rice was don't you? He was the greatest player at any position ever in NFL history, yea a far comparison! LOL

You say VD had to call him out, why? Because Alex Smith is too much of a puss, VD had to be the leader!

Have you heard any of the interviews with Saints receivers? Drew Breese stays late EVERY DAY and DEMANDS the same from his wide outs, how late do they stay? Until Drew is done! What does he demand in the off season, the same hard work and dedication.

Is Crabtree a lazy puss, looks like it from here, his leader has to take him aside and straiten him out, to bad it's VD not Alex.

Alex is simply not an Alpha Male, he is incapable of leadership.That seems to be the one missing peice of an otherwise gifted kid, not his fault just who he is made.

Dude you need to calm down calling people pu$$ies. Alex Smith would destroy you in a fight. Dominic Zeigler would destroy you in a fight too. lol. But I do agree that I would like to See Alex be more demonstrative on the sidelines, and in the huddle. I have seen some of it from him this year, but it still doesn't seem natural or comfortable.
Quote:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

No, it's what Alexcusers do. They subtract things off his record to make him look like a better QB.

People who hate on Alex don't have to selectively pick out anything. They just show his 16-27 record and career 69 rating and call it a day.

LOL you are so far in one camp that you can't see the obvious bias in it. Keep lying to yourself bro. Alex "haters" are the more unbiased ones LOL.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Wow, you guys crack me up with your blind hatred for Smith. The stats are right there in front of you, but you keep blaming Smith.

Wow the guys that continue to defend Smith crack me up. Sure the "proof" is right there in front of us - it's all just about numbers, right? Well what has been Alex's excuse all the years BEFORE Crabtree?? Oh I forgot, you guys have dozens.

Here's a new one for you. Maybe Alex has really fair skin, and sunburns easily? So that's why he throws so many short passes. It's not a lake of arm strenght or accuracy or ANYTHING like that...he just likes a high number of 3-and-outs to keeo from getting a sunburn! That's why he played so much better Monday night against the Saints!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Ok.... If Smith had an 86.7 rating, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's higher than what I thought he would need in order for us to make the playoffs. He would be Alexceeding my Alexpectations.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Quote:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

LOL you are so far in one camp that you can't see the obvious bias in it. Keep lying to yourself bro. Alex "haters" are the more unbiased ones LOL.

We're 0-3, 31st in points scored.

I don't think the season is over, and I don't think Alex is done just yet, but who are you guys kidding so far he hasn't played well enough to keep his job after this season.

I know alot of you guys have boughten into the Nolan/Singletary philosophy were your quarterback is a liability and the rest of the team carries him around, but it's just not how the league works. You look at qb's with an above 90 rating and 10/13 of those teams have a 2-1 record (Orton, Rivers, and Romo are the exceptions).
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jordache49:
It's pretty simple to understand. You don't play or practise during preseason, your play suffers. Not a coincedence, that Smith seems to be on the same page with everyone else, but can't connect with a player he hasn't had much live reps with, not just this year, but last year too.

how do you explain their chemistry last year? what was Smith's passer rating with Crabs last year?

Ok.... If Smith had an 86.7 rating, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's higher than what I thought he would need in order for us to make the playoffs. He would be Alexceeding my Alexpectations.

86.7 is just good enough to stay above water. If you have a great defense and a great rushing attack perhaps you can make the playoffs. It's average QB play though and average just doesn't get it done in most scenarios. Last year only Palmer and Sanchez made the playoffs with that kind of QB rating.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

86.7 is just good enough to stay above water. If you have a great defense and a great rushing attack perhaps you can make the playoffs. It's average QB play though and average just doesn't get it done in most scenarios. Last year only Palmer and Sanchez made the playoffs with that kind of QB rating.

That's two teams that made the playoffs. I thought we could be one of those teams this season. Still do if only we could play to our potential.

Want to say it again, though. If Smith had an 86.7 rating right now, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
To WRs
Smith: 22 of 46, 264 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT
QB Rating: 36.9

Now remove plays thrown to Crabtree and you'll see the point of this thread.

Crabtree is not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Mike Nolan was not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Jimmy Raye was not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Norv Turner was not to blame for Alex Smith Suckage
Lame Kwame Harris is one of the worst tackles to ever start in the NFL -- but even he isn't to blame for Alex Smith Suckage.

Let's please stop this practice of throwing other players under the bus to explain the pi$$ poor play of Alex Smith?

This thread is ridiculous and should be locked immediately. Alex Smith has sucked for years. Bringing Crabtree onboard hasn't made him worse. Alex sucked as badly in 2005 as he sucks now in 2010.

The article was not so much about Smith as it was about Crabtree. The other receivers are getting much better results. The quarterback is the same. What is the problem? To just say "Smith" ignores the point of the whole article. Instead of discussion just seems one more opportunity to say Smith "sucks." How many times do some of you guys feel the need to say it and don't you think anyone who spends anytime reading these boards are already well aware of your stance on the issue. We get it.

That's two teams that made the playoffs. I thought we could be one of those teams this season. Still do if only we could play to our potential.

Want to say it again, though. If Smith had an 86.7 rating right now, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Depends on our record and how he's performed. The problem with your guy's subtraction formula is if you take Crabtree out of the equation you have a new equation all together.

Crabtree was the one being guarded by his opponent's top corners. Flowers and Porter are as dangerous as they come. You put them on Morgan and we have a new ball game going on.

Depends on our record and how he's performed. The problem with your guy's subtraction formula is if you take Crabtree out of the equation you have a new equation all together.

Crabtree was the one being guarded by his opponent's top corners. Flowers and Porter are as dangerous as they come. You put them on Morgan and we have a new ball game going on.

woulldnt it be more than 86.7 you know with the extra yards and maybe a more td at least
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
4 out 5 Dentists Chew Trident

4 out of 3 people hate fractions
Share 49ersWebzone