LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 168 users in the forums

Alex Smith #2 in the NFL in red zone efficiency (not kidding)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Brazilian represents a smart fan; he does his research and makes insightful observations. Things are rarely as simple as some make it out to be. It is wearisome to continue hearing the same old exaggerations: all his throws are 20 feet high - he is the most inaccurate QB - he always checks down. This is baloney.

I do not want to belabor the point but is is instructive as to the importance of the OC. Last year Jay Cutler's rating was 76, while Alex's was 81. This year, under Mike Martz, Cutler is tearing things up with a 109 rating over the first three games. OCs can make a difference.

Too bad you don't do your research. Last year was the only year Jay had a rating under 80 and the only year Alex had one above 75...

If the change in OC can make all the difference in the world then why was Alex's best season ever with the guy we just canned? Alex has now had 6 OC's including Martz and Norv...

When this translates to wins, then you'll see less fans be critical.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Brazilian represents a smart fan; he does his research and makes insightful observations. Things are rarely as simple as some make it out to be. It is wearisome to continue hearing the same old exaggerations: all his throws are 20 feet high - he is the most inaccurate QB - he always checks down. This is baloney.

I do not want to belabor the point but is is instructive as to the importance of the OC. Last year Jay Cutler's rating was 76, while Alex's was 81. This year, under Mike Martz, Cutler is tearing things up with a 109 rating over the first three games. OCs can make a difference.

Too bad you don't do your research. Last year was the only year Jay had a rating under 80 and the only year Alex had one above 75...

If the change in OC can make all the difference in the world then why was Alex's best season ever with the guy we just canned? Alex has now had 6 OC's including Martz and Norv...

I'd be happy to see it translate into points... Did you know that Alex is #32 in TDs per pass attempt... So, who's the real Alex the guy who's #2 in RZ efficiency or #32 in TD's/attempt? History tells us that it's the latter. Lets all hope he turns it around.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Those stats are meaningless when we only get in the Redzone once every lunar eclipse!
uh, if you take the time to actually look at the numbers you will see Smith has two more passing attempts than Brees, and ranks ahead of Brees in rating.
The biggest problem in the red zone hasn't been Smith. It has been TOs and stuffed running attempts up the gut where the defense is all stacked up.

uh, lol. The only reason he has more passing attempts than Brees is because Smith thows little screen passes to Gore and hopes Gore can get a TD. Brees goes for the endzone, has less pass attempts but double the TD's.
The topic is red zone efficiency. Smith is better than Brees ACCORDING TO THE RATING SYSTEM.

As to Brees, have you forgotten already how many screen pass completions Brees had against the 49ers that turned into big yards because the line blocked it correctly? Raye's offense only had one screen pass and that was very predictable.

The 49er red zone problem is not Smith, it is a failed running game. Just go back and look at how many times they have gained less than two yards on running plays inside the 10 yard line.

The 49ers have been in the redzone 8 times. Smith was 0-3 as far as TD's go, but we got 2 FG's. In the NO game he was 2-4, 1 throwing td on a dumpoff to gore and Im counting the draw play for gore because Smith did lead them down the field and converted the 2 point conversion, also had 1 fg. In KC he was 1-1 on a garbage time TD against backups. Total is 3-8, Smith has 2 TD's, one was where Gore did all the work on a short pass and the other against KC's backups in garbage time where Morgan got hurt.
  • dj43

I'd be happy to see it translate into points... Did you know that Alex is #32 in TDs per pass attempt... So, who's the real Alex the guy who's #2 in RZ efficiency or #32 in TD's/attempt? History tells us that it's the latter. Lets all hope he turns it around.
Oc course a major reason he has fewer TDs/attempt is the fact that Raye rarely called plays designed to go more than 10 yards down the field. Everything was designed around "ball security" and releasing the ball in less than 3 seconds. Under those restrictions, there isn't much time to get the ball down the field.
It's a positive i'm just gonna take it for what it is. and pray that he can at least get this team turned around and going in a positive direction for the rest of the year. Let's see some leadership and some wins hopefully. eitehr way he's not the qb of the future. It's his 6th season and folks were talking about a lose in which he had 2 int's as the best game of his career.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Yes, I'm hanging on to any positive sign I can find. Sue me.

Rank QB Comp. Att. Pct. Yards TD INT Rating
1 Matt Ryan, ATL 9 13 69.2 89 4 0 127.9
2 Alex Smith, SF 10 13 76.9 51 2 0 122.1
3 Drew Brees, NO 8 11 72.7 50 4 0 121.2
4 Matt Schaub, HOU 7 11 63.6 49 3 0 113.3
5 Derek Anderson, ARI 4 6 66.7 23 2 0 113.2
6 Tom Brady, NE 8 12 66.7 45 6 0 112.8
7 Jay Cutler, CHI 9 14 64.3 51 3 0 110.4
8 Tony Romo, DAL 7 12 58.3 55 3 0 109.4
9 Aaron Rodgers, GB 10 16 62.5 59 3 0 109.1
10 Mark Sanchez, NYJ 7 11 63.6 37 4 0 108.7
11 Peyton Manning, IND 13 23 56.5 97 6 0 106.3
12 Jason Campbell, OAK 6 10 60.0 34 1 0 99.6
13 Matt Cassel, KC 4 8 50.0 31 2 0 99.5
14 Sam Bradford, STL 9 18 50.0 61 4 0 97.5
15 Charlie Batch, PIT 3 6 50.0 19 1 0 96.5
16 Michael Vick, PHI 5 11 45.5 38 3 0 93.9
17 Carson Palmer, CIN 7 17 41.2 42 2 0 88.1
18 Matt Hasselbeck, SEA 11 20 55.0 92 4 1 85.8
19 Eli Manning, NYG 8 11 72.7 50 2 1 83.3
20 Bruce Gradkowski, OAK 3 9 33.3 2 1 0 79.4
21 Shaun Hill, DET 5 8 62.5 39 2 2 74.5
22 Vince Young, TEN 4 6 66.7 24 2 1 74.3
23 Kyle Orton, DEN 11 27 40.7 73 2 0 73.2
24 Chad Henne, MIA 6 11 54.5 38 3 1 63.6
25 Josh Freeman, TB 5 10 50.0 39 2 1 60.0
26 Brett Favre, MIN 3 7 42.9 34 1 2 58.0
27 Joe Flacco, BAL 3 7 42.9 23 2 1 51.5
28 Luke McCown, JAC 2 5 40.0 5 0 0 47.9
29 Philip Rivers, SD 8 25 32.0 54 5 2 47.5
30 Jimmy Clausen, CAR 3 8 37.5 17 0 0 45.8
31 Matt Moore, CAR 2 7 28.6 24 1 3 41.4
32 Donovan McNabb, WAS 3 12 25.0 16 0 0 39.6

LINK
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

The 49ers have been in the redzone 8 times. Smith was 0-3 as far as TD's go, but we got 2 FG's. In the NO game he was 2-4, 1 throwing td on a dumpoff to gore and Im counting the draw play for gore because Smith did lead them down the field and converted the 2 point conversion, also had 1 fg. In KC he was 1-1 on a garbage time TD against backups. Total is 3-8, Smith has 2 TD's, one was where Gore did all the work on a short pass and the other against KC's backups in garbage time where Morgan got hurt.

Cool. Now tell us what happened when we were in the redzone and didn't score.

Whole picture = win

Oc course a major reason he has fewer TDs/attempt is the fact that Raye rarely called plays designed to go more than 10 yards down the field. Everything was designed around "ball security" and releasing the ball in less than 3 seconds. Under those restrictions, there isn't much time to get the ball down the field.

It's not just Alex under Raye; he's always been low in this category. Remember it took him 9 games to get his first TD. In his best season, he only threw for 18 TDs and his career average is 1 TD per game (omitting his rookie year) I hope I'm wrong; but, history tells me that the #2 stat is a fluke...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM ]

It's not just Alex under Raye; he's always been low in this category. Remember it took him 9 games to get his first TD. In his best season, he only threw for 18 TDs and his career average is less than 1 TD per game (even if you omit his rookie year) I hope I'm wrong; but, history tells me that the #2 stat is a fluke...

hA-HA...you beat me to the EDIT
2010: Alex Smith Through Week 3

10 yards and shorter he is 61-88 for 520 Yards and 69.3 completion % with 1 td and 4 ints and 69.3 rating

11-20 yards he is 10-22 for 171 yards and 45.5 completion % with 1 TD and no int and 87.5 rating

21 yards and longer 1-9 for 41 yards for 11.1 completion % with No Tds and 1 int and 6.5 rating

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post?id=24522
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:52 AM ]

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

It's not just Alex under Raye; he's always been low in this category. Remember it took him 9 games to get his first TD. In his best season, he only threw for 18 TDs and his career average is less than 1 TD per game (even if you omit his rookie year) I hope I'm wrong; but, history tells me that the #2 stat is a fluke...

Wait... didn't Smith throw 18 TDs in 11 games last season? He threw 16 in 16 in '06.

Let's see... he didn't play in '08. He had a shoulder injury in '07 (Alexcuse?). His rookie season he may have been the worst looking QB in NFL history.

Which ones are flukes?
Originally posted by valrod33:
2010: Alex Smith Through Week 3

10 yards and shorter he is 61-88 for 520 Yards and 69.3 completion % with 1 td and 4 ints and 69.3 rating

11-20 yards he is 10-22 for 171 yards and 45.5 completion % with 1 TD and no int and 87.5 rating

21 yards and longer 1-9 for 41 yards for 11.1 completion % with No Tds and 1 int and 6.5 rating

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post?id=24522

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Apone:

I couldn't help it either... Same reaction I got when I began reading.

Now that's comedy. Perfect use of a GIF.

Shame on you who want to take credit away from Alex. What a joke. I don't see you doing that to the rest of the QB's. Geez, people. Anytime Alex has any sort of positive thing, it's always "Eh. That's only because (insert lame excuse for a positive stat, etc.)"

Alex doesn't turn the ball over in the RedZone.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Shame on you who want to take credit away from Alex. What a joke. I don't see you doing that to the rest of the QB's. Geez, people. Anytime Alex has any sort of positive thing, it's always "Eh. That's only because (insert lame excuse for a positive stat, etc.)"

Alex doesn't turn the ball over in the RedZone.

Alexcuse?
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Those stats are meaningless when we only get in the Redzone once every lunar eclipse!
uh, if you take the time to actually look at the numbers you will see Smith has two more passing attempts than Brees, and ranks ahead of Brees in rating.
The biggest problem in the red zone hasn't been Smith. It has been TOs and stuffed running attempts up the gut where the defense is all stacked up.

uh, lol. The only reason he has more passing attempts than Brees is because Smith thows little screen passes to Gore and hopes Gore can get a TD. Brees goes for the endzone, has less pass attempts but double the TD's.

You guys sound even dumber than than the Alexcuse brigade. Yeah but......the only reason...... durrrrrr.

It would be great if Crabs knew WTF he was doing out there. It would be great if DWalk knew what "high and tight" meant. I t would be great if the damn O-line could ever get 11" of push on a 3rd and inches. It would be great if this damn team could defend against a screen play. It would be great if this team knew how to RUN a screen play. It would be great if Alex could ever start a game hot or not torpedo a damn 5 yrd dump off which all leads back to the coaching which is s--t which all leads back to ownership which is it s--t.
Share 49ersWebzone