There are 815 users in the forums
Do you guys think alex smith should be back next year if he performs ok
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Do you guys think alex smith should be back next year if he performs ok
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM
- D_Niner
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,508
Define ok...
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,131
Originally posted by danimal:
I think Alex Smith should be the Niners QB for 15 more years. No questions asked.
And then his kid should be our qb.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM
- digital9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 271
HELL NO! We had six years of OKAY. I don't want OKAY. I want him to either keep up the bad work....OR...light up the defense.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM
- saj4423
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,054
Yes, but I also think we should use the #1 pick we are going to earn on a QB to challenge him.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM
- SybErkRimInAL
- Veteran
- Posts: 59,185
Smith would be a very capable #2 in the NFL. I'll give him that much.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM
- ace130
- Veteran
- Posts: 853
We have no other options at qb and secondary and nt should be addressed in the draft
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM
- blunt_probe
- Veteran
- Posts: 21,297
Hell no. He needs to make it very obvious that he is a GOOD qb at this point. This franchise has been sitting in limbo since he's been drafted.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM
- EndAround81
- Veteran
- Posts: 88
I say we trade for Kolb
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM
- mayo49
- Veteran
- Posts: 65,216
Even if he does ok, we need an upgrade. I agree, Alex is best backing someone up. Give me Luck, Mallett or Ponder in the draft and maybe bring Smith back for another year while the rook gets acclamated.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM
- Shemp
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 29,755
He is what me and about 3 other zoners thought he was, from the day he was drafted. He should have been a 5th round or lower prospect who went onto a 2nd string journeyman career in the NFL...a Steve Stenstrom type. The only thing that changed that was that big egos invested big money in him and have been trying to shoe horn him to fit his draft status and salary payments ever since. It's not gonna happen.
In short, no, he shouldn't be back, and he should have never been here to begin with.
In short, no, he shouldn't be back, and he should have never been here to begin with.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM
- 49erHusker
- Veteran
- Posts: 10
Originally posted by servegmo:
if we end up in the playoffs yes but I will also draft a qb just like the chargers did a few years back we keep alex and continue to compete making playoffs appearances and then we chose if we trade him or traded the qb we have been developing... but if we go to the playoffs this year it will be a mayor step...
Playoffs?.....Don't talk about Playoffs.......Playoffs?...are you kidding me?
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM
- truekingcarlos
- Member
- Posts: 1,714
Seriously, what other choice do we really have? If he performs like he did during the second half of last year then you would have to say yes.
I mean, we really have few options.
I mean, we really have few options.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM
- Lifer
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,175
I'd like to see him signed as an interim quarterback. Structure the deal so that we can cut him loose at any time without major salary cap implications. I think we should trade up in the draft next year to get one of the top QB's. Then I'd let the rookie sit for a year and NOT rush him in before he's ready. Smith is servicable as a placeholder.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
- danimal
- Veteran
- Posts: 14,705
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Seriously, what other choice do we really have? If he performs like he did during the second half of last year then you would have to say yes.
I mean, we really have few options.
so not true. We have lots of options. And in life, once you close one door you see so many more open up. Bottom line, there never was and still is nothing wrong with cutting him and then looking for options from that point.
Just 2 years ago I was begging for Cutler or Sanchez. We could have gotten either one of those guys. They were options.
Mcnabb last year(who I didn't want personally)...etc etc
We are passing by other options every single season.
Blasphemy to say we don't have other options....they are all around us.
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM
- Snider8706
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,397
F**k no!!!! I wouldn't want him as my QB playing flag football, at this point I would rather they brought in Jamarcus Russell.
I was all for Alex before the season started but I'm done with him. I don care how he does the rest of the year he needs to go.
I was all for Alex before the season started but I'm done with him. I don care how he does the rest of the year he needs to go.