LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 162 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So back to the topic...what QBs in the NFC are worse than Smith?

NFC West...none. NFC East...none. NFC North...none. NFC South...Josh Freeman of TB is way better already and JClausen/Matt Moore of Carolina...

Hmm, well he MIGHT be better than JC at the moment, but I dunno it's close...

No GM in the league (other than Baalke, out of necessity) would make Smith their starter.

That is so debatable it's not even funny Shaj.

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

Hell any team that has a solid Line would start Smith.

See why it's debatable?

At this point you guys have me hoping that he doesn't get re-signed regardless of performance. This way he comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder.

You guys all talked trash about Garcia. Fueled by that Psycho T.O. and his trashtalk. Garcia left and we have Smith and you all were kissing Garcia's ass wanting him to come back when he was a FA. Hell some members here wanted to trade for him when he was QB'ing for Tampa.

You guys seem to think that renting McNabb would have taken this team to the Super Bowl. McNabb would get NUKED behind the Line that played this past Sunday. He's not the mobile McNabb. He's the STATUESQUE McNabb. KC would have put him out for the season with Jimmy Raye calling the plays.

Do you know why I'm not ready to throw the towell on Smith? Cause we would have to do it all over again. This is the hand we are dealt and have had and couldn't get away from for the last 5 years. Either we make due or we strap ourselves into the chair and hang on for another 10 years of suckitude.

That's why.

Your complaining doesn't make matters any better. And if you think that I do not get physically Ill after a Loss then you have not listened to a word I've said and you haven't been paying attention to my demeanor.

I was so pissed off by Halftime I nearly picked my Netbook off the coffee table and pitched it out the window w/o opening it. And what made it worse was seeing all the crap play in the trenches, the lack of consistency on the part of the Zebras and knowing that you guys would lump it all on the head of the one guy who NEVER gave up other than Frank.

Smith got his ass kicked and you guys are only there to kick the dirt over his grave.

~Ceadder

No offense, but you're a joke. NO ? Minnesota ? Starting Alex Smith ? Yeah right..........goes to show just how much love you have for him. I can see it now...Favre retiring.....Childress on the podium announcing that he's found the perfect player to keep the dream alive....A;ex Smith.

And all the fans roar in admiration, cause no one can replace Favre like good ole Alex Smith.

Pathetic.....
Originally posted by Otter:

smith haters are irrational and ridiculous? Au contraire. I guess you would call Lombardi and Walsh irrational and ridiculous because they would have put a stop to this Alex Smith bullcrap 5 years ago, and you know it. 'haters' is a misnomer. call us 'results lovers' or 'excellence expecters'. Call yourselves 'blind faith', because that's what you are clinging to, nothing else.

I don't think I've ever seen you address this, and I've posted it numerous times.

LT - Jonas Jennings/Anthony Clement/Adam Snyder
LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris
TE - Billy Bajema/Terry Jones
WR - Arnaz Battle/Brandon Lloyd/Johnny Morton
RB - Kevan Barlow/Frank Gore
FB - Fred Beasley/Chris Heatherington

What sort of results would you EXPECT to see, certainly excellence is damn near out of the question on that team. An elite QB in his prime would struggle with that cast, asking a rookie from a gimmick college offense to excel is unrealistic.

I have always maintained that Smith's rookie year and even 2006 to an extent are meaningless given the state of the franchise. This is Smith's year to prove whether he can start. This is the year to analyze the results, for you results lovers. So far, I agree, he doesn't deserve to be back next year. But let's evaluate his results over the course of the year.

I can honestly tell you that with that roster and adding in a rookie top draft pick QB....without knowing who the QB was other than that they somehow qualified themselves as the top pick. I would have expected a minimum of 6 TD's.....at least a 70.0 rating...and I would have been very very very surprised at anything less. I would have had zero expectations in terms of wins...but I would have expected at least 3 games in which in a losing effort some big numbers were put up also....which is very common for rookie QB's on bad teams to get because they are given a lot in the middle.

Anybody who accepts less than that has far too low of standards.

P.S. I have seen Shaj answer the same many years ago about what he expected in that 2005 season
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
too kick dirt on alex smiths grave would be to completley give up on the season, it is only week three, and hopefully we open up he playbook and get more consistant blocking next week. That being said, alex smith needs to show some fire, get mad, show us some heart, i think if he did that everyone would have more respect for him. remember that winning cures all.

100% agreed. I was rooting for him to Deck Carr when they were shown on the Sidelines. If not outright haul off and belt him, just show me that he was as pissed off as I believe he was. Dude just had to be dying inside.

I stick up for the guy yes. But that make me no more of a supporter than a hater. I just don't like the straight up contempt I have seen leveled on this guy.

Does he make mistakes? Hell yeah he does. Never said he didn't. He made 4 MAJOR mistakes since he has been our Starter. 1st mistake was saying something to the Media about Nolan. Don't make yourself come off like someone with a silver spoon in their mouth. Smith should never have spoke on that.

2nd one was allowing Nolan to push him back onto the field when he clearly knew he was not up to the task. Yay you gutted it out and in the end cost yourself 2 years of play.

3rd not putting Hill on his ass. I may not agree with the Montana Young Feud, but QB2 is your enemy in a competition. Smith acted like it was no big deal and it clearly was. Especially when you QB for this team.

And the 4th is him not having a meltdown when the meltdown is completely warranted. Not once did he give his Line and Earful. The place to do it is not on the sidelines either. But in the Huddle. Grab a Facemask get in their grill and tell em off. "Protect me or go sit your ass down"

I won't pile onto the other stuff cause it's been beat to death a million times over.

Those 4 issues though have me on the fence. Have had me there since Martz came to town. Doesn't make anyone wrong or right, just means that I have to have some clear indicators that Smith is/isn't the guy. Pulling an O'Sullivan is a clear indicator. Not being able to throw the ball better than a Punter puts it up in the air is a clear indicator.

~Ceadder
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:

smith haters are irrational and ridiculous? Au contraire. I guess you would call Lombardi and Walsh irrational and ridiculous because they would have put a stop to this Alex Smith bullcrap 5 years ago, and you know it. 'haters' is a misnomer. call us 'results lovers' or 'excellence expecters'. Call yourselves 'blind faith', because that's what you are clinging to, nothing else.

I don't think I've ever seen you address this, and I've posted it numerous times.

LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris

What sort of results would you EXPECT to see, certainly excellence is damn near out of the question on that team. An elite QB in his prime would struggle with that cast, asking a rookie from a gimmick college offense to excel is unrealistic.

I have always maintained that Smith's rookie year and even 2006 to an extent are meaningless given the state of the franchise. This is Smith's year to prove whether he can start. This is the year to analyze the results, for you results lovers. So far, I agree, he doesn't deserve to be back next year. But let's evaluate his results over the course of the year.

I can honestly tell you that with that roster and adding in a rookie top draft pick QB....without knowing who the QB was other than that they somehow qualified themselves as the top pick. I would have expected a minimum of 6 TD's.....at least a 70.0 rating...and I would have been very very very surprised at anything less. I would have had zero expectations in terms of wins...but I would have expected at least 3 games in which in a losing effort some big numbers were put up also....which is very common for rookie QB's on bad teams to get because they are given a lot in the middle.

P.S. I have seen Shaj answer the same many years ago about what he expected in that 2005 season

I appreciate an honest answer. The 1 TD was a pretty glaring stat. A 70 rating was unrealistic in my opinion. Peyton Manning barely finished over 70 his rookie year and let's be honest, no one ever thought Smith was Manning coming out of college. And Peyton had Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk at the skill positions.

LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris

Holy crap, I thought ceadder's post where he said NO or MN would make Smith the starter was delusional, but are you on drugs? You honestly believe that? LIke seriously bro? I wouldn't even expect Manning to put up huge numbers with that team. I wouldn't even expect Manning or Brady to win more than 3 games with that team. And they are friggin miracle workers at the QB spot. No chance a rookie QB does anything with that team. Majority of those starters are out of the NFL and the ones that aren't are now back ups. Like holy crap dude, I can't believe you think that.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

NFC West...none. NFC East...none. NFC North...none. NFC South...Josh Freeman of TB is way better already and JClausen/Matt Moore of Carolina...

No GM in the league (other than Baalke, out of necessity) would make Smith their starter.

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

See why it's debatable?

At this point you guys have me hoping that he doesn't get re-signed regardless of performance. This way he comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder.

You guys all talked trash about Garcia. Fueled by that Psycho T.O. and his trashtalk. Garcia left and we have Smith and you all were kissing Garcia's ass wanting him to come back when he was a FA. Hell some members here wanted to trade for him when he was QB'ing for Tampa.

You guys seem to think that renting McNabb would have taken this team to the Super Bowl. McNabb would get NUKED behind the Line that played this past Sunday. He's not the mobile McNabb. He's the STATUESQUE McNabb. KC would have put him out for the season with Jimmy Raye calling the plays.

Do you know why I'm not ready to throw the towell on Smith? Cause we would have to do it all over again. This is the hand we are dealt and have had and couldn't get away from for the last 5 years. Either we make due or we strap ourselves into the chair and hang on for another 10 years of suckitude.

That's why.

Your complaining doesn't make matters any better. And if you think that I do not get physically Ill after a Loss then you have not listened to a word I've said and you haven't been paying attention to my demeanor.

I was so pissed off by Halftime I nearly picked my Netbook off the coffee table and pitched it out the window w/o opening it. And what made it worse was seeing all the crap play in the trenches, the lack of consistency on the part of the Zebras and knowing that you guys would lump it all on the head of the one guy who NEVER gave up other than Frank.

Smith got his ass kicked and you guys are only there to kick the dirt over his grave.

~Ceadder

No offense, but you're a joke. NO ? Minnesota ? Starting Alex Smith ? Yeah right..........goes to show just how much love you have for him. I can see it now...Favre retiring.....Childress on the podium announcing that he's found the perfect player to keep the dream alive....A;ex Smith.

And all the fans roar in admiration, cause no one can replace Favre like good ole Alex Smith.

Pathetic.....

I say that just cause they have Lines that CAN protect him. You saw what happened when he DID have protection.

Oh and yes I could see Smith playing for Brad Childriss. Considering he's an Offensive minded Coach.

No need to get yourself banned.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM ]
worst QB right along with worst team.

LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris

I appreciate an honest answer. The 1 TD was a pretty glaring stat. A 70 rating was unrealistic in my opinion. Peyton Manning barely finished over 70 his rookie year and let's be honest, no one ever thought Smith was Manning coming out of college. And Peyton had Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk at the skill positions.

Peyton didn't have Harrison I believe. I'd have to go back and check since the FA movement alters things significantly but I'm not even sure that he had Faulk til at least his second or 3rd year either.

~Ceadder
  • ZRF80

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

See why it's debatable?

That's why.

~Ceadder

Pathetic.....

I say that just cause they have Lines that CAN protect him. You saw what happened when he DID have protection.

Oh and yes I could see Smith playing for Brad Childriss. Considering he's an Offensive minded Coach.

~Ceadder

I know you're using the Saints game to defend your stance, but if I remember correctly, by the 3rd drive in that game........the majority of people here were asking for Smith's head. Wasnt as good as you want to believe, my friend.......even with a "solid line".

LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris

Peyton didn't have Harrison I believe. I'd have to go back and check since the FA movement alters things significantly but I'm not even sure that he had Faulk til at least his second or 3rd year either.

~Ceadder

He had both of them his rookie year.

faulk was there a few years before manning, he went to the playoffs with jim harbaugh

LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris

~Ceadder

He Had Faulk his rookie year and Edgerin James, leading rusher in the NFL, the next two years after that.

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

See why it's debatable?

That's why.

~Ceadder

Pathetic.....

~Ceadder

If Alex leaves at the end of this year , I also see maybe the Childriss picking him up , and dont count out maybe the cards . I'f I was Alex I would want to get off of this sinking ship as soon as I could . The OL once again sucks , his number 1 rec is a joke we should call him JJ crabs . Crabtree is another JJ stokes bust . Every year there is another OC , this is becoming a joke here in 49erland.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris

~Ceadder

According to wiki anyway, Harrison and Faulk were both drafted by Indy before Peyton arrived. Harrison started 12 games and Faulk started 15. The O-line is the biggest question mark. I'm not sure how 1998 Indy compares to 2005 SF.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Alex Smith has already proven he can play this game, unfortunately he has been playing exactly the way the coaches have told him to play.
Share 49ersWebzone