LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 138 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Best Performance Ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith's Best Performance Ever?

I think we have a real good chance to go 2-2, alex smith did have a good game only one of those ints was his fault, tip passes do happen and REMEMBER ONLY 1 GAME BEHIND THE DIVISON!!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
He just gotta sustain this level & continue to grow. We'll be ok, I think.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The coaching staff need to let Alex play with minimal interference....this was my biggest takeaway from the game yesterday.

They also need to give him another great receiving weapon (Westbrook) to work with. One Taser play for Westbrook yesterday was a bad joke. Overworking Gore like this is counterproductive in the long run. He'll eventually get hurt unless some division of labor is worked out. He should be sharing reps with Dixon and Westbrook, and Westbrook should be out there as a third WR or third down back.

BTW: The Taser is a bad joke, always has been, why is it still in the playbook?

We have lots of weapons on offense, but the coaching staff seems unwilling to use them.
I will consider joining the bandwagon if he keeps it up for at least another 10-12 performances like yesterdays throughout the rest of the year.

• Antix
  • Veteran
It was his best. No to make any "Alexcuses" but 3 of his 4 pics this year have been on tipped passes. Smith was also doing well in the first 20 mins of the Seattle game before the whole team unraveled.

So I think he can build upon it. Smith's (and our team for that metter) main issue will be consistency. Can he do it again? Next week will be a fantastic barometer.
Originally posted by Antix:
It was his best. No to make any "Alexcuses" but 3 of his 4 pics this year have been on tipped passes. Smith was also doing well in the first 20 mins of the Seattle game before the whole team unraveled.

So I think he can build upon it. Smith's (and our team for that metter) main issue will be consistency. Can he do it again? Next week will be a fantastic barometer.

That has been the issue for years now, consistency. I agree that Alex has played 6 good quarters out of 8 but as you stated, the whole team went to s**t in the second half against the Seahawks.

Anyways, it seemed to really help him to get the play in on time. Gave him time to get to the line, check out the defense and make his calls (something I don't think a lot of us were factoring into his play). Those two deep passes to Crabtree and Vernon were sick.

Also, when they started off slow Alex looked pissed. I think he needs to throw this team on his back and say lets go. f**k all this other s**t, lets just go and play like we can play.
Originally posted by LongTimeNiner:

That has been the issue for years now, consistency. I agree that Alex has played 6 good quarters out of 8 but as you stated, the whole team went to s**t in the second half against the Seahawks.

Anyways, it seemed to really help him to get the play in on time. Gave him time to get to the line, check out the defense and make his calls (something I don't think a lot of us were factoring into his play). Those two deep passes to Crabtree and Vernon were sick.

Also, when they started off slow Alex looked pissed. I think he needs to throw this team on his back and say lets go. f**k all this other s**t, lets just go and play like we can play.

I agree that Alex played the best game of his career. Having said that, even mediocre QBs have good games now and again. It is sad that a 2 INT game where you lost is looked upon as your best game.

Losers find ways to lose. Winners find ways to win. It does not matter who played better or whatever. I was encouraged by Alex's play, but and I saw enough not to be disgusted when I see him starting the next game, but he still has to prove that he is a decent QB. Plenty of bad QBs have had the occasional good game. Heck, even Jamarcus had a couple of games where he looked ok.
Originally posted by Smokie:

I agree that Alex played the best game of his career.

Losers find ways to lose. Winners find ways to win.

Dude just stop.

~Ceadder

I agree that Alex played the best game of his career. Having said that, even mediocre QBs have good games now and again. It is sad that a 2 INT game where you lost is looked upon as your best game.

Losers find ways to lose. Winners find ways to win. It does not matter who played better or whatever. I was encouraged by Alex's play, but and I saw enough not to be disgusted when I see him starting the next game, but he still has to prove that he is a decent QB. Plenty of bad QBs have had the occasional good game. Heck, even Jamarcus had a couple of games where he looked ok.

How the hell would he "find a way to win" when we are on D?
Originally posted by jreff22:

He could have NOT thrown two INT's, for example. Rex Grossman has had way better games. Would you consider him a good QB?

Originally posted by jreff22:

He could have NOT thrown two INT's, for example. Rex Grossman has had way better games. Would you consider him a good QB?

one wasnt his fault great D play but netiher cost us the game what cost us the game was the philip adams and delante fumble i probally could even throw in teh saftey which gave them 9 points and lost us an offensive possesion

not that smiths int didnt contribute to losing points but that definitally didnt cost us the game
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Yeah and we won the game??? Oh wait he threw 2 picks (one of which was partly his fault cuz he sucks at recognizing blitzes and then overthrew Gore). If it wasn't for Frank Gore this offense would be in deeeeeep trouble. We need a QB cuz we don't have one. Any one who thinks we have one is drinking tainted Kool-Aid again. We're 0-2 for a reason, at least this time 2 other Niners turned the ball over and screwed us up big time. I mind as well stop watching Niner games cuz they just piss me off and justifiably so, we got all this talent except at the most the important position. Bring Joe Cool out of retirement put in Troy Smith I don't care this is gone far beyond embarrassing.

BOTH were tipped in case you weren't paying attention. I saw the whole game via Veetle on my 8.1" NETBOOK and I saw it. Did you see the unblocked Defender reach his hand out and tip the Pass as it came out of Smith's hand?

~Ceadder

The first one was party on him cuz he didn't recognize the corner blitz, and then over threw Gore, and the 2nd was all his fault cuz he had Crabtree if he would of put it over the LB, but even though a Drew Brees who is supposed to be a midget compared to NFL QB's can shoot it over defenders, Alex can't. He had 2 drives worth talking about, the rest were all Gore infused, with Alex's passing being check downs and screens. Best performance ever, even if it is what the hell is that saying? He has 1 300 yard game and that was a loss against a bad secondary, gosh we needed to move on 2 years ago let alone this year and were paying for it with each passing second.

When Smith steps up on National TV and has a nice performance against the Super Bowl Champs it seems like some of you need to come forward and make "excuses" why it doesn't matter.

The sad thing it does matter. Cuz this adds more fuel to the franchises fire to keep him and let him continue to hold this very talented team back. If we had McNabb the first 2 game like we should of done, among many other possible options this off-season, we'd be 2-0, but since we continue to stay with this moron we're not, were 0-2. At least Alex wasn't the focal point of the screw ups last night like in week 1, but still...
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Yeah and we won the game??? Oh wait he threw 2 picks (one of which was partly his fault cuz he sucks at recognizing blitzes and then overthrew Gore). If it wasn't for Frank Gore this offense would be in deeeeeep trouble. We need a QB cuz we don't have one. Any one who thinks we have one is drinking tainted Kool-Aid again. We're 0-2 for a reason, at least this time 2 other Niners turned the ball over and screwed us up big time. I mind as well stop watching Niner games cuz they just piss me off and justifiably so, we got all this talent except at the most the important position. Bring Joe Cool out of retirement put in Troy Smith I don't care this is gone far beyond embarrassing.

BOTH were tipped in case you weren't paying attention. I saw the whole game via Veetle on my 8.1" NETBOOK and I saw it. Did you see the unblocked Defender reach his hand out and tip the Pass as it came out of Smith's hand?

~Ceadder

The first one was party on him cuz he didn't recognize the corner blitz, and then over threw Gore, and the 2nd was all his fault cuz he had Crabtree if he would of put it over the LB, but even though a Drew Brees who is supposed to be a midget compared to NFL QB's can shoot it over defenders, Alex can't. He had 2 drives worth talking about, the rest were all Gore infused, with Alex's passing being check downs and screens. Best performance ever, even if it is what the hell is that saying? He has 1 300 yard game and that was a loss against a bad secondary, gosh we needed to move on 2 years ago let alone this year and were paying for it with each passing second.
You must have missed the two Brees passes that were also batted down.

Yep they were picked off... oh wait they weren't. And one of those was by a Pro Bowl level NT, not a f'ing 2nd string level LB, pleez.
EDIT: For those that don't know, Kevin Harlan does the radio broadcast for MNF. In other words, he called the game last night, and he does every Monday Night during football season.

Dave Softy Muller of Seattle Sports Talk Radio had Kevin Harlan on today as a guest. The first topic they discussed was the MNF game. Harlan praised the 49ers and said despite being 0-2, he was confident they would win the division. He also had high praise for Smith, saying he was as good as any QB in the NFL on that final drive and at other moments in the game, and he sees him becoming one of the league's premier QBs going forward. He did acknowledge the 0-2 start as probably being disappointing for most 49er fans, but he said they still have to feel good about their team, especially after barely losing to what might be the NFL's best team while playing a mistake-filled game.

Listening to Harlan's praise for Alex reaffirmed a thought I had this morning. I think the time is now for the 49ers to extend Alex Smith. I know many people will say "No way!" but I think it is the right move. I believe it is the right thing to do because like Harlan, I too can see Alex becoming a very good QB and I think he gives the 49ers the best opportunity of becoming a very good football team now, and in the foreseeable future. I think by extending Alex now, it would give him a boost of confidence and further improve the way he is perceived by teammates and the fans. I digress.

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Sep 21, 2010 at 16:43:38 ]
who is kevin harlan
Share 49ersWebzone