There are 757 users in the forums
How good are we, really?
Sep 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM
- prometheus
- Veteran
- Posts: 490
I think we have enough talent that should we bomb, we could win with a new qb and new coaches next year. Unfortunately, I think the lack of brains and Alex's lack of overall ability may make us stumble. I do think a good part of the teams future lies on the ability of Baalke to find us a good coach and qb. I think otherwise we are swimming with lead anchors around our necks. I think Jed lacks the guts to search for a new coach until he has to fire Singletary. By that time he will settle for a freshly dug up corpse. He should be looking way before he has to, no matter how it might make Singletary feel. Tell him no production and the next new guy you see in the office may be your replacement. Singletary needs a flamethrower under his rear to improve or else. We do have some good coaches, the trick is to just get rid of the hacks. I am not sure Sing can tell the difference.
Sep 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM
- fly15
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,790
Originally posted by prometheus:
I think we have enough talent that should we bomb, we could win with a new qb and new coaches next year. Unfortunately, I think the lack of brains and Alex's lack of overall ability may make us stumble. I do think a good part of the teams future lies on the ability of Baalke to find us a good coach and qb. I think otherwise we are swimming with lead anchors around our necks. I think Jed lacks the guts to search for a new coach until he has to fire Singletary. By that time he will settle for a freshly dug up corpse. He should be looking way before he has to, no matter how it might make Singletary feel. Tell him no production and the next new guy you see in the office may be your replacement. Singletary needs a flamethrower under his rear to improve or else. We do have some good coaches, the trick is to just get rid of the hacks. I am not sure Sing can tell the difference.
Sep 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM
- BobS
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,143
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
This is a question best saved for around mid-season, or at least after the Saints game.
Preseason means nothing. Some teams take a while to gel (that will be the 49ers, with 2 new offensive lineman). Others play as well in September as in December.
My concern is to dominate the division opponents early, a 5-1 in the division and 5-5 elsewhere=play-offs.
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM
- VA49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,863
I'll tell you after the Saints game.
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM
- unst4bl3
- Member
- Posts: 7,568
I think we are good but limited by our coaching. We will lose close games, because we will try to start running out the clock at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, like we did a few times last year.
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM
- RishikeshA
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,720
This team will start rolling around the 5th or 6th game of the season. The Saints game will show us how good the 49er defense is early on. If they can shut down the running game and make Brees pass often they'll get some hits on him. And the more hits you put on a QB, I don't care who they are, they become very ordinary.
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM
- WestCoastForever
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,817
Originally posted by VA49er:
I'll tell you after the Saints game.
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:24 PM
- excelsior
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,432
I know you guys are tired of hearing me say this, but it will be whether our players hang on to the ball, make their blocks and avoid stupid penalties that will determine our record this year. Alex is good enough - it is the players around him who need to bring their game to a higher level.
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM
- ChaunceyGardner
- Q46 Draft Winner
- Posts: 23,917
inconsistent at QB ... defense could be good ... special teams achilles heal.
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM
- BubbaParisMVP
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,213
Originally posted by excelsior:
I know you guys are tired of hearing me say this, but it will be whether our players hang on to the ball, make their blocks and avoid stupid penalties that will determine our record this year. Alex is good enough - it is the players around him who need to bring their game to a higher level.
I'll never tire of hearing that excecution matters. In the NFL, being competent on a consistent basis matters a lot more than being amazing on the occasional play.
I'm not sure I can agree with your contention that Smith is good enough, at least not yet. In line with your argument about execution, the guy has played on sloppy, fundamentally flawed teams since he entered the league, so who can really say at this point? But I sure hope you're right and I'm fairly optimistic at this point.
Hopefully Smith will get a genuinely fair shake this year.