There are 187 users in the forums

How good are we, really?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JREED23:
you only listed 2 top tier teams - Saints and Packers, Charger's are just in a bad division and the Eagles are big question mark.

We are good, but not Packer and Saint good, although we could beat the Packers if things went our way, but the Saints are GOOOOOD!

The Saints aren't that great, the Vikings gave them fits, and I think we have a better defense than they do, and out offense should be better.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
we always play down or up to our opponents level. i expect we struggle against seattle, then turn it on against NO because we know we have to to beat them
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174387&page=2

saints fans are giving us a lot of respect. many actually think we'll give them one of their few losses this season.. we better blow out seattle and keep up with new orleans

We should be able to beat the Seahawks, but I am concerned that we may be looking ahead to the Saints game. Hard to image the 1st game of the year as trap game. Hopefully Sing doesn't let that happen.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Eagles aint shiet!

Already got my tickets to go watch us make Eagle Kabobs!
Originally posted by Snider8706:
we're 14-2 good

i would nuttttt
We'll find out on Sunday!
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
we always play down or up to our opponents level. i expect we struggle against seattle, then turn it on against NO because we know we have to to beat them

One of the signs of a good team is that they play against themselves. We should beat Seattle handily and we should give NO all they want. If we do that consistently then we will be a good team. We need to beat the teams we should and go 50% against the teams that maybe we can beat. We need to be as good on the road as we are at home. Then we will know that our primary competition is ourselves. If we play as we can play consistently we will be good.
To quote Brandt (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) from The Big Lebowski, "Well Dude, we just don't know."

I want to know though.
Four weeks and a few days from now we should have a good idea.
Although it may seem a bit trite, if either our O-line or pass rush are substantially better, we'll be pretty good.

If both are substantially better, we'll likely make some noise before we're done.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
We'll find out on Sunday!

Word. No point in wondering now, because the answer will be revealed over the next several weeks.

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Can we beat the top tier teams this year?

We only have 4 games (Chargers, Packers, Saints, & Eagles) to prove ourselves against top teams (on our schedule).

So if we go 0-4 against those teams, will we be considered a bottom feeder once again, even if we smash the little fella's on our schedule?

Your thoughts?

If we don't win one or two of those games (but do well against the rest of the schedule) the Niners won't be bottom feeders but they also won't be "there" yet. I would be really happy if they could get a split against those top tier teams. Also, I know they have handled the Niners over the last few years but I really don't consider the Eagles a top tier team. Maybe they are, but right now I'm not convinced.
We are 8-8 or 9-7 good. For the first time in a long time, we have a tough schedule to start the year with. We tend to have a losing streak in the middle of the year but salvage a few games at the end to maintain some optimism. We also are a TERRIBLE road team. So, until we prove we can win during a tough strectch of the scheudle, avoid the mid-season low, win on the road consistently and continue to finish strong, we're 8-8 or 9-7. Even that may be enough to win the NFC West this year. That's the best news!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I think our realistic ceiling is about 10-6. I am thinking we maybe go 9-7 which should win us the division.
as far as talent we have to be one of the most balanced teams with Talent....both sides of the ball.

we have a ProBowl RB, ProBowl TE, and Potential ProBowl WR....good set of secondary receivers..and we'll finally have speed in that position.

I believe our Oline is above Average...and with Weapons we have on offense, that should make their job even easier.

defense I believe we are rated #3 on fanatasy football this year, for a reason..

we have stout DLine with ends who can make plays like Justin Smith and Ray McDonald.

our LBers speak for themselves...with only Haralson maybe being a weak link.

and our secondary....Shawnte Spencer is so underrated in this league, sure you don't hear his name mention, which should be a good thing for a CB....Nate is great against the run..but takes chances against the pass.....and I think with better over the top help he should be fine...

and that is my only worry...how our 3rd string and 4th string DBs are going to play....

I have no faith in Terrel Brown..I don't know why he got that extension and I don't know why they tried to start him last year in front of Nate....Nate might have struggled, but its not like Brown played lights out to get the starting job.

I'd prefer some of the younger guys playing ahead of Brown....Brock did a good job of sticking with his man the majority of the time...and Adams played well as well...sure against backups...but I just like when I see CBs always stick with his guy.

and of course, have zero faith in Michael Lewis...he is going to be a liability on key 3rd downs these first few games.

but besides that, we have more talented players than most of the playoff teams.....and we usually play disciplined...few penalties.

so, imo, it comes back to Alex and Singletary... (I'm sorry but it is obvious this is Sing's offense, not Raye)

what will Sing choose to do, and how will Alex perform.....if Alex plays consistent, it will be hard to beat us....don't care what team we play against. Alex doesn't need to throw for 300yards and 4 TDs..... just consistent 250yards 2TDs...with Gore scoring another...and we will be fine.

as much as some of yall like to blame the Oline, WRs, coaching....I don't think some of yall understand how production out of QB position is WAY more important.

you can have a horrible Oline and a good QB can still help the team (example the Packers)....but if you have a good Oline and a QB that is not playing well and holds on to the ball or makes bad decisions...then the offense will look worse than it is...

so we will see how the first few games of the season go.
we fly high... no lie
8-8 again... JK

we'll be aite..
Share 49ersWebzone