There are 196 users in the forums

I think we cut the wrong QB !

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
You guys are acting as if he was going to do ANYTHING this season! He's not Joe Montana, he couldn't learn the playbook, he was lazy. Sure he had an arm, sure there's a possibility of ONE DAY he'll be a starting QB... but... come on. Everyone just relax. A. Smith would have to get injured, D. Carr would have had to get injured and/or be absolutely terrible, and THEN Davis gets in. That's close to impossible. What is this, the movie Any Given Sunday??

No he was not lazy. That is a damn lie. And Sing never said that he was lazy. But I don't care if he was as lazy and dumb as hound dog sitting in the shade on a 100 degree day. He is still better than Carr and you don't know what may have happenedor what's going to happen the season. But you are right about one thing; it really does not make much of a difference now.
Originally posted by ttime1:
You guys are acting as if he was going to do ANYTHING this season! He's not Joe Montana, he couldn't learn the playbook, he was lazy. Sure he had an arm, sure there's a possibility of ONE DAY he'll be a starting QB... but... come on. Everyone just relax. A. Smith would have to get injured, D. Carr would have had to get injured and/or be absolutely terrible, and THEN Davis gets in. That's close to impossible. What is this, the movie Any Given Sunday??

No he was not lazy. That is a damn lie. And Sing never said that he was lazy. But I don't care if he was as lazy and dumb as hound dog sitting in the shade on a 100 degree day. He is still better than Carr and you don't know what may have happenedor what's going to happen the season. But you are right about one thing; it really does not make much of a difference now.

The quarterback, 49ers second-year pro Nate Davis, has dyslexia and often works for close to 45 minutes at night with housemate and Niners wide receiver Dominique Zeigler to master the system. Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions.

He has a tough time "getting the play out" and actually executing a given call.

"I know what I'm doing out there. It's just saying the play, that's my main problem, getting the words out," Davis said. "I made big progress from last year. I've just got to keep on working."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz0ysVxTnYT

working for 45 minutes a day, and not being able to say the play = you're cut for someone with a better work ethic.

It doesn't matter what your job is. If you aren't able to do the simple things, and work at getting better you will be fired 95% of the time
[ Edited by global_nomad on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM ]

Sorry, not lazy. He just had no idea how to call plays and/or learn the playbook. 2 years and he studied it every night? And still didn't know? Sure Carr isn't good, and knock on wood, if Smitty gets injured we're in for trouble. But you HONESTLY think that Davis would play even if it happened?! Hate to break it to you -- Carr would play. He would continue being the starter barring anything TERRIBLE. Why? Because he'd lean on Frank Gore and throw Shaun Hill-esque type games (except the terrible ATL game). You are living in la la land if you truly believe he'd step on the field and be our savior. He has the tools, sure, against s**t 3rd stringers and scrubs in PRESEASON. He doesn't have any mental capacity!! No offense to him, but christ almighty... so much undeserved credit is given to a 3rd stringer.
Originally posted by altadenaniner:
Can someone tell me what "potanital" means?

No results found for potanital:
Did you mean potential?
Dictionary:
# postnatal
# Pointal
# potentilla
# potently
# plantal
# post natal
# post-natal
# pot metal
# planetal
# potestal
# pontil
# Portingal
# pointel
# peténitzá
# petén itzá

I think it's just a word that can be used to describe Nate Davis' worth by his fanboys. In the end though it really means nothing. Looking forward to the season. Sheesh.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
REALLY?

Okay EEEEEENough already.

Christ we're talking about the THIRD STRING QB!!!!!

I swear you would have though we traded Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis to the Cardinald for Matt Lienart and a 7th round pick.

Again say it with me .....

THIRD STRING.

dont joke around

GM has a point. He was here a full year and he only knows a fraction of the playbook. You would think that a guy in his situation and with his SITUATION, would work harder at their game to compensate for his deficiencies. Feel me?

Alex is just learning the playbook and he has had over 60% 0f the snaps while Davis has gotten maybe 5%. But regardless of that, Davis looked better than Smith lat preseason and looks better than Carr this preseason. It is sad to say, but Sing has demonstrated a lack of coaching and leadership ability here. What makes good coaches good is that they coach towards their talent and Davis has talent. Good leadership encourages; not discourages. People here are right to have a bad feeling about this one as every objective indication suggest that this was a bad move. He did not deserve all of the cricism that he recieved; not with scrubs like Byham making the team. The blocking that I saw him do resulted in him getting knocked on his butt. He could not hold on to the difficult catch when he got popped becasue he slowed down after his cut and simply dropped passes that were righ in his had, but you keep this scrub over Davis? Sing is on some BS!

I am tired of hearing that BS about the only thing Davis could do is improvise and make plays. Hell, he is a playmaker; and that is what they do! MAKE PLAYS; which he has shown far more ability that any of the high IQ,intellegent and hard working system QB's on this squad. Damn right Davis will be selected and he should not even take Sings call. Da hell with him with his backward azz; no vision; under-developing coaching; text book, stale mentality. Alex better show up and Sing better win; or both of them a feel the swing door hit them where sing conducts his motivational speaking and the sun don't shine. I hate a coward MF; which is what he is proving to be. No resiliance.

You don't bring a man in who you already know requires special attention; give him minimal snaps although this is how he best learns; publicly criticize him for not being on the same level as the others who have been in the league much longer; call him up on a holiday to tell him he is being cut and then talk about wanting him back. Sing needs to kiss his own azz for that one.

If Davis WANTED to be on the 49ers 53 man roster then he should have put in the effort during the off-season. How can you expect Davis to get snaps when he doesn't know majority of the plays? Smith is the starter, he has put in the effort and has shown that he can move the chains and produce with this offense(even without Gore, Davis and Crabtree). It's understandable that you were a Nate Davis fan, but to get this upset over a 3rd string QB? Nate Davis was never going to be a starting QB for the 49ers unless some tragic event happened like it did in 07. Good luck to Nate Davis and welcome Troy Smith to the 49ers! Hopefully his work ethic (the same work ethic that Nate Davis lacked) will push him into the QB #2 position because holy geez if our season comes down to Carr we're screwed.

First of all, it is amazing to me that how many of you accept one part of Sing's statment and totaly ignore the other part where Sing says he is working his tail off. So is he lazy? No! Never the less, he responded professionaly and with the right humble response; "I did work hard; but not hard enough I guess." Nate's issue was not one of effort; but one of knowing how to prepare. But, that is in part a significant responsibility of your coaching staff; to coach!

This is nothing to do with effort. What it has to do with is that Nate is not a good third string QB as he is not going to run the opposing team's plays as well as others. Nate has way more natural talent than the others. But he is not as good of a third string QB. But good coaching strategy does not get rid of talent only to replace it with a player who can help you prepare. Hell, he should have gotten rid of that scrub Byham and kept 4 QBs. Nate will not get picked up to be put on some other team's practice squad. He will be on some team's roster and will be properly groomed to start in the league.

Never the less, beyond letting a talent go in order to get a better practice player, is the manner is which it happened. You don't put a player down like that; release him and then say we want you back. That's like bringing in Carr and giving him more snaps than Alex; but turning around and criticizing Alex in the press that he is not grasping the playbook well enough; yet you want him to start. That's some odd interaction there. Nate will be OK. Trust me. It's the 49ers who loose out in this transaction; which I as a +25 year fan am tired of seeing this team do. Stupid shyt because of mediocre coaching and short sighted leadership. You don't expose your talent after one year; when you know he got talent which is why you want him back. That's plain dumb.

This is just ridiculous.... yes which way am I going... Nate was not cut because he is a bad practice player. He was cut because he has no chance ZERO of ever being the starting QB in SF - EVER. He is a poor 3rd string QB right now... he doesn't even know his own plays - not for a lack of reps.. hell grab a wr trying to make the squad and go get reps on your own... Jerry Glanville said it best, "This is the NFL which stands for Not For Long" NO one has time to baby sit a guy who isn't willing to put in extra work in the offseason... he should know that in training camps, OTAs and the regurlar season the starters are getting virtually ALL the reps AND they should. Why the hell would they waste time in practice on a 3rd string QB who might some day be a good qb but has no chance of helping the team now or next year and now EVER!

I think this offseason was given to Davis to prove something... I think the coaches wanted him as the #2, not Carr, but he did nothing... no extra work in the offseason... and he can bust his ass all he wants once he gets here its too freaking late sorry dude. IF Davis didn't get it this year he was never going to be the QB here... the franchise does not have the time to waste (wait) on him. The rest of the team is ready to develop NOW!

Alex Smith is either here long term or gone next year, Nate is not and will not be ready to take over as a starter at that time... so you wanna bring in another crappy veteran for a year.. two ... three? NO, The decision on the future QB will be made by next season either its Smith, or we go get someone who can play next year... not a 5th round project.

Damn no wonder people calls us the forty whiners...

Do you actually hear your own words? You don't learn a playbook by getting a WR to throw to. You learn by doing which is most evident with Alex's progression. He is gettting better because he is spending more time doing. I guarantee you that if Nate had recieved 60% of the reps while Alex recieved 5%; he would know the playbook better than Alex.

And yes, the third string QB has a role and that role is help the team prepare by playing the opposing team's QB during practice. Anyone who argues that the new 3rd string QB; either Smith or Carr, is not better equped to do that than Davis is not paying attention. But good teams build upon their potential; both in the short term and in the long run. It's not like this team is so stacked at QB that it can simply forego potential talent and I am 100% confident that Nate would have done much better than Alex did during his first year as a starting QB; if for no other reason than him being a better playmaker and having better players to work with than Alex. Yet, this team was commited to Alex's potential when he too needed time to learn the playbook. But beyond all of that; my distaste involves how it was done. You siply don't do that and think that it won't come back in bite yo.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

The quarterback, 49ers second-year pro Nate Davis, has dyslexia and often works for close to 45 minutes at night with housemate and Niners wide receiver Dominique Zeigler to master the system. Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions.

"I know what I'm doing out there. It's just saying the play, that's my main problem, getting the words out," Davis said. "I made big progress from last year. I've just got to keep on working."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz0ysVxTnYT

working for 45 minutes a day, and not being able to say the play = you're cut for someone with a better work ethic.

It doesn't matter what your job is. If you aren't able to do the simple things, and work at getting better you will be fired 95% of the time

This is the misrepresentation that I am talking about. You ignore the extra time that he put in; or the fact that he states that he has improved to conclude that he has a dearth of work ethic. But I'll be damn, he still looked better than Alex last year and Carr this year. And I don't care who he was playing against as he was also playing with scrubs like Byham; who is still on the team.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 4DNinersSon:
Originally posted by cNiner:
It shows how Sing is not there at all, if you have no faith in your Back up qb aka Carr why keep him ? we should have cut him and moved on with troy Smith insted of getting rid of Nat lots of potanital Davis ! Sing got to question this decision

Come on. Noone is saying Carr is great, but to think that we could cut Carr & go with Davis or Smith as our number 2 is irresponsible.

Troy Smith will be our #2 as soon as he gets the system down, anyway. He's already familiar with the digit system, so I don't think it will take that long. David Carr is worthless.

Agreed. I was pretty mad like many other 9ers fans when I heard that N.Davis was cut...but not that surprised after reading Jason Whitlock's article (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/49ers-QB-Nate-Davis-qb-of-future-or-new-headache). Really spoke to what Sing has been talking about.

After doing some research on T.Smith, however, I have to say I'm actually very impressed by this pick up. This could turn out to be a very solid, very savvy move, especially if Davis clears waivers and heads to the practice squad for another year of learning. Here is some youtube footage on T.Smith for the zone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxrWENPjFz4&NR=1). Given Nate's learning disability, a strong argument can be made that the Niners have all the leverage in the world over Nate right, since he would be much further along staying here for another years on the PS than he would be with another team learning a totally new system. Carr will be out in 2011 either way, if he even makes it through the season.
REALLY?

I swear you would have though we traded Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis to the Cardinald for Matt Lienart and a 7th round pick.

THIRD STRING.

dont joke around

GM has a point. He was here a full year and he only knows a fraction of the playbook. You would think that a guy in his situation and with his SITUATION, would work harder at their game to compensate for his deficiencies. Feel me?

Alex is just learning the playbook and he has had over 60% 0f the snaps while Davis has gotten maybe 5%. But regardless of that, Davis looked better than Smith lat preseason and looks better than Carr this preseason. It is sad to say, but Sing has demonstrated a lack of coaching and leadership ability here. What makes good coaches good is that they coach towards their talent and Davis has talent. Good leadership encourages; not discourages. People here are right to have a bad feeling about this one as every objective indication suggest that this was a bad move. He did not deserve all of the cricism that he recieved; not with scrubs like Byham making the team. The blocking that I saw him do resulted in him getting knocked on his butt. He could not hold on to the difficult catch when he got popped becasue he slowed down after his cut and simply dropped passes that were righ in his had, but you keep this scrub over Davis? Sing is on some BS!

I am tired of hearing that BS about the only thing Davis could do is improvise and make plays. Hell, he is a playmaker; and that is what they do! MAKE PLAYS; which he has shown far more ability that any of the high IQ,intellegent and hard working system QB's on this squad. Damn right Davis will be selected and he should not even take Sings call. Da hell with him with his backward azz; no vision; under-developing coaching; text book, stale mentality. Alex better show up and Sing better win; or both of them a feel the swing door hit them where sing conducts his motivational speaking and the sun don't shine. I hate a coward MF; which is what he is proving to be. No resiliance.

You don't bring a man in who you already know requires special attention; give him minimal snaps although this is how he best learns; publicly criticize him for not being on the same level as the others who have been in the league much longer; call him up on a holiday to tell him he is being cut and then talk about wanting him back. Sing needs to kiss his own azz for that one.

If Davis WANTED to be on the 49ers 53 man roster then he should have put in the effort during the off-season. How can you expect Davis to get snaps when he doesn't know majority of the plays? Smith is the starter, he has put in the effort and has shown that he can move the chains and produce with this offense(even without Gore, Davis and Crabtree). It's understandable that you were a Nate Davis fan, but to get this upset over a 3rd string QB? Nate Davis was never going to be a starting QB for the 49ers unless some tragic event happened like it did in 07. Good luck to Nate Davis and welcome Troy Smith to the 49ers! Hopefully his work ethic (the same work ethic that Nate Davis lacked) will push him into the QB #2 position because holy geez if our season comes down to Carr we're screwed.

First of all, it is amazing to me that how many of you accept one part of Sing's statment and totaly ignore the other part where Sing says he is working his tail off. So is he lazy? No! Never the less, he responded professionaly and with the right humble response; "I did work hard; but not hard enough I guess." Nate's issue was not one of effort; but one of knowing how to prepare. But, that is in part a significant responsibility of your coaching staff; to coach!

This is nothing to do with effort. What it has to do with is that Nate is not a good third string QB as he is not going to run the opposing team's plays as well as others. Nate has way more natural talent than the others. But he is not as good of a third string QB. But good coaching strategy does not get rid of talent only to replace it with a player who can help you prepare. Hell, he should have gotten rid of that scrub Byham and kept 4 QBs. Nate will not get picked up to be put on some other team's practice squad. He will be on some team's roster and will be properly groomed to start in the league.

Never the less, beyond letting a talent go in order to get a better practice player, is the manner is which it happened. You don't put a player down like that; release him and then say we want you back. That's like bringing in Carr and giving him more snaps than Alex; but turning around and criticizing Alex in the press that he is not grasping the playbook well enough; yet you want him to start. That's some odd interaction there. Nate will be OK. Trust me. It's the 49ers who loose out in this transaction; which I as a +25 year fan am tired of seeing this team do. Stupid shyt because of mediocre coaching and short sighted leadership. You don't expose your talent after one year; when you know he got talent which is why you want him back. That's plain dumb.

This is just ridiculous.... yes which way am I going... Nate was not cut because he is a bad practice player. He was cut because he has no chance ZERO of ever being the starting QB in SF - EVER. He is a poor 3rd string QB right now... he doesn't even know his own plays - not for a lack of reps.. hell grab a wr trying to make the squad and go get reps on your own... Jerry Glanville said it best, "This is the NFL which stands for Not For Long" NO one has time to baby sit a guy who isn't willing to put in extra work in the offseason... he should know that in training camps, OTAs and the regurlar season the starters are getting virtually ALL the reps AND they should. Why the hell would they waste time in practice on a 3rd string QB who might some day be a good qb but has no chance of helping the team now or next year and now EVER!

I think this offseason was given to Davis to prove something... I think the coaches wanted him as the #2, not Carr, but he did nothing... no extra work in the offseason... and he can bust his ass all he wants once he gets here its too freaking late sorry dude. IF Davis didn't get it this year he was never going to be the QB here... the franchise does not have the time to waste (wait) on him. The rest of the team is ready to develop NOW!

Alex Smith is either here long term or gone next year, Nate is not and will not be ready to take over as a starter at that time... so you wanna bring in another crappy veteran for a year.. two ... three? NO, The decision on the future QB will be made by next season either its Smith, or we go get someone who can play next year... not a 5th round project.

Do you actually hear your own words? You don't learn a playbook by getting a WR to throw to. You learn by doing which is most evident with Alex's progression. He is gettting better because he is spending more time doing. I guarantee you that if Nate had recieved 60% of the reps while Alex recieved 5%; he would know the playbook better than Alex.

And yes, the third string QB has a role and that role is help the team prepare by playing the opposing team's QB during practice. Anyone who argues that the new 3rd string QB; either Smith or Carr, is not better equped to do that than Davis is not paying attention. But good teams build upon their potential; both in the short term and in the long run. It's not like this team is so stacked at QB that it can simply forego potential talent and I am 100% confident that Nate would have done much better than Alex did during his first year as a starting QB; if for no other reason than him being a better playmaker and having better players to work with than Alex. Yet, this team was commited to Alex's potential when he too needed time to learn the playbook. But beyond all of that; my distaste involves how it was done. You siply don't do that and think that it won't come back in bite yo.

I don't get it. Alex Smith was drafted to be a starter (for better or worse). Nate Davis was a late round, "uh, I guess we'll take this guy" pick when they already had Shaun Hill & Alex Smith. But you seem perplexed that they did not treat Davis like another starter. Why would you think that any NFL team would treat a late round pick who was struggling on the 3rd string the same as a starter?
Originally posted by djfullshred:
REALLY?

THIRD STRING.

dont joke around

I don't get it. Alex Smith was drafted to be a starter (for better or worse). Nate Davis was a late round, "uh, I guess we'll take this guy" pick when they already had Shaun Hill & Alex Smith. But you seem perplexed that they did not treat Davis like another starter. Why would you think that any NFL team would treat a late round pick who was struggling on the 3rd string the same as a starter?

I think that there are nearly as many starting QB's in the league who are not first round draft choices than those who are. This suggest that draft position alone should not determine how a player is to be coached or managed.
REALLY?

THIRD STRING.

dont joke around

And yes, the third string QB has a role and that role is help the team prepare by playing the opposing team's QB during practice. Anyone who argues that the new 3rd string QB; either Smith or Carr, is not better equped to do that than Davis is not paying attention. But good teams build upon their potential; both in the short term and in the long run. It's not like this team is so stacked at QB that it can simply fore go potential talent and I am 100% confident that Nate would have done much better than Alex did during his first year as a starting QB; if for no other reason than him being a better playmaker and having better players to work with than Alex. Yet, this team was committed to Alex's potential when he too needed time to learn the playbook. But beyond all of that; my distaste involves how it was done. You siply don't do that and think that it won't come back in bite yo.

BS. This is the most inane argument/comparison on the webzone. A franchise can't afford not to invest a buttload of time and resources into their first round pick. A pick that they signed to a contract commensurate with a first round 1st pick overall player at the QB position.

What round was Davis selected in? 5th? How much did they sign him for? Jack squat? Who cares?

Like they're going to drop everything for a dyslexic QB who can't get the damn plays out on time, who has a questionable work ethic just because his big arm blows Nate Davis fanboys' minds.

Smith's work ethic has never been in question. He restructured his contract because it isn't about him. For now he's unquestionably more qualified, more prepared, more deserving to lead this offense this season and so is Carr.

You can't guarantee crap in regards to ND's ability to learn a playbook. What are you his agent? That isn't his problem anyway. His problem is calling the plays correctly and getting them out on time. In other words your "pontinal i.e potential world beater" can't run an NFL offense, not even Rayes. WTF???? Get off Nate's nutsack already will ya?

The two situations are not comparable so stop making this comparison it is ridiculous.

This is the misrepresentation that I am talking about. You ignore the extra time that he put in; or the fact that he states that he has improved to conclude that he has a dearth of work ethic. But I'll be damn, he still looked better than Alex last year and Carr this year. And I don't care who he was playing against as he was also playing with scrubs like Byham; who is still on the team.

Mike Singletary on KNBR: Says the hope is that the 49ers are able to place QB Nate Davis on their practice squad.Because Nate Davis was released so late MON, the waiver process won't begin until today. Niners must wait until WED to see if he passes ...[/b]

http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/23245518331
http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/23247139462

he should stick to teaching the D or LB how to play , insted of Dreaming of Nate Davis would last and come back to practice squad
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
Mike Singletary on KNBR: Says the hope is that the 49ers are able to place QB Nate Davis on their practice squad.Because Nate Davis was released so late MON, the waiver process won't begin until today. Niners must wait until WED to see if he passes ...[/b]

http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/23245518331
http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/23247139462

he should stick to teaching the D or LB how to play , insted of Dreaming of Nate Davis would last and come back to practice squad

I am real interested to see who (if anyone) puts a claim on him. Whoever it is will be starting from scratch... actually less than scratch. It will be like a rookie all over again... the downside for the team is he is starting behind everyone else who's been through training camp, ota's and the preseason AND he has a learning disability.

Honestly it's probably in Nate's best interest to clear waivers and sign to the 9ers practice squad. Other wise it will be a year and a half from now before he knows 2/3 of his new playbook.

What are the rules if someone claims him... does he have to be on their active roster? IF so I could see that being a deterent considering the learning curve he will face.
i just believe we signed the wrong qb after cutting the wrong qb from the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone