There are 183 users in the forums

Niners sign Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Troy Smith sucks, don't believe me? Youtube Sal Paolantonio. Having said that, if he has to start a game, he's more mentally prepared to handle the situation unlike Davis.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Axl49:
Nate Davis= Hype and garbage

why do you say that? Smith's first year passer rating was 40.8

Smith has high discipline and low to medium potential
Davis has low discipline and medium to high potential

Discipline can be taught. potential is what it is.

Would love to know how you are calculating potential.

it's an intangible. After nearly 6 years, it's fair to say that it's more likely that Smith is a Rick Mirer/Tim Couch type QB than a Troy Aikman/Steve Young/Jim Plunkett type QB. Davis barely got out of his rookie year, but we do know he has a better arm and more instinct than Smith.

We do? Based on what?
Originally posted by FL9er:
Troy Smith sucks, don't believe me? Youtube Sal Paolantonio. Having said that, if he has to start a game, he's more mentally prepared to handle the situation unlike Davis.

I don't believe you. I watched every game he played as a college QB, and also followed him in his early Pro career. He was actually poised to take the starting job in Baltimore 2 years ago, but he got injured and lost playing time to his backup at the time... Joe Flacco. The rest is history.

I'm not saying he is football God incarnate and he will dispatch a squadron of virgins to every male Niner fan, but he is easily an upgrade over Davis (who is most likely practice squad bound anyway). He is smart, a leader, mobile, athletic, and has *almost* as big a cannon as Davis.

Solid move.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

it's an intangible. After nearly 6 years, it's fair to say that it's more likely that Smith is a Rick Mirer/Tim Couch type QB than a Troy Aikman/Steve Young/Jim Plunkett type QB. Davis barely got out of his rookie year, but we do know he has a better arm and more instinct than Smith.

We do? Based on what?

Guys, not every thread needs to be about Smith. Please take the Smith talk somewhere else...

We do? Based on what?

Moreover, Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round of the NFL draft. Did anyone think he'd have the potential to win three Super Bowls?

He's using potential has an arbitrary term to justify his bias opinion.
[ Edited by redrathman on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by D_Niner:

We do? Based on what?

Guys, not every thread needs to be about Smith. Please take the Smith talk somewhere else...

Dude, every thread in niner talk always becomes an Alex Smith thread
I know there are a lot of Nate Davis supporters who'll pooh pooh this move...but I think it's a good one. Singletary wants players who're capable of winning now...while a lot of us fell in love with Nate's big arm and playmaking abilities, the BL is in Singletary's eyes (and his fellow coaches), he was still a work in progress. Substitute that with a guy who's got 14 games under his belt with decent numbers and QB rating, it makes good sense. Coach now has 3 QB's with game experience...and after Carr's performance in the Charger game, should feel a lot more comfortable with his trio of QB's.
Wow, I was surprised to see them release him. Now I am surprised by this. What I don't understand is the Ravens not trading him. There was real interest in Smith in the start of the season. Probably could have got a 6th for him.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Welcome to the Bay Area Troy,.........
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I like us getting Troy Smith and hope Davis lands with someone who will give him time to develope.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
solid!
I like Davis, so I hope he falls through to the practice squad. With that said, I also like the signing of Troy Smith. I live in Baltimore, so I got to see him play a fair bit and I think he's actually pretty good. Before Flacco he was scheduled to be the starter for the Ravens after the Kyle Boller experiment failed.

What happened was he ended up getting really sick. I forgot with what but I remember him losing a lot of weight. I think he was a better passer than Flacco at that stage of his career, and had he not got sick, he'd probably be starting for the Ravens now.

I know it's only one guy's opinion on the internet (of all places), but to me he's leaps and bounds better than any of our current backups.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
According to Maiocco Smith was brought in to compete for the #2 with David Carr.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
According to Maiocco Smith was brought in to compete for the #2 with David Carr.

This just got interesting....Didn't Sing just name Carr #2?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by jrg:

This just got interesting....Didn't Sing just name Carr #2?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/07/10/49ers-Want-to-Keep-Davis-Around-Smith-to/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=305704&feedID=5936
Share 49ersWebzone