LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Good news, Bad news

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I aint reading nothing from no profootballfocus.com...............
  • kray28
  • Veteran
For some reason, Vernon Davis reminds me a lot of Lamar Odom.

Awesome talent and potential, but a questionable work ethic, fair to middling player IQ, and poor mental toughness.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Also he's right about Goldson...he can hit, when he's not missing tackles and getting burned to a crisp.
some of you guys are hilarious, trying to rip PFF as some kind of nerdy futuristic stat site, when it's just a simple plus/minus grading system that looks at every play and gives a plus for a good play, minus for a bad play, revolutionary idea lmao

any grading system is going to be subjective, but VD graded out so badly at run blocking that there probably isn't much to dispute about it...the only thing I can think of is that maybe he was unfairly singled up on defensive ends (our staff having overconfidence in him?) and their graders didn't take that into consideration

Who knows, casual fans like you and me aren't paying attention to VD's run blocking, we're watching Gore to see if he can take it to the house (or Morgan motioning in to block)
[ Edited by znk916 on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM ]
here's a look at how they charted Goldson's pass defense for every game:

TA = directly targeted

rest of the column headers should be self-explanatory

here's a look at how they graded him in every game, should be self explanatory

Outside of the JAX game (which I honestly don't remember him getting toasted), it definitely confirms what we all saw last year, that Goldson got more consistent and disciplined as the year went along.
One more fun thing to look at, grades for all of our defensive players from last year. I know the numbers are hard to see, sorry I borrowed these screenies from smileyman over at the NN board. btw this is all subscription material now

Our 5 best defenders:
Smith and Willis were dominant, no s**t
Lawson and Spikes were superior players, good at everything, no surprise to me
Franklin was a terrific run defender, no surprise

Rest of the front 7:
Soap graded slightly negative in run defense, thought he'd be slightly positive at least
McDonald was good against the run, but not much of a pass rusher, opposite of what I thought
Balmer flat out sucked, duh
Evans was a surprisingly effective pass rusher
Haralson was weak against the run, confirms what we all think
Brooks was our best pass rush OLB, again no surprise

Secondary:
Our corners all graded out very solid overall, only clear negative was Brown's run support. Clements graded out the best overall, but Spencer was slightly better in coverage. No surprises here to me, anyone who watched our games would know that our corners weren't nearly as bad as our crappy team ranking in pass defense would indicate.
Lewis was good at run support, weak in coverage, no surprise
Goldson was a solid run defender, but really really bad in coverage...however if you read my post above, you will see that he graded out much better towards the end of the season, which confirms the improvement we all saw.
Originally posted by susweel:
I aint reading nothing from no profootballfocus.com...............
Share 49ersWebzone