LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Originally posted by Leathaface:
He had some good throws, not any bad ones.

I'd like to see him not bail so quickly on that pass to Byham that was dropped on 3rd down (he had Dixon open for a TD). He also played right into the Ds hands when he threw to Ziegler on 3rd and long with the blitz coming. They wanted him to do that as Safety Mike Huff creamed Ziggy as soon as he caught it. He could have waited a second and made the D pay.

Overall though, he moved the ball.

Our offense FEELS much improved. I can only imagine with Gore, VD, Crabs, DWalker, Westbrook (who himself looked great in his limited action) what we can do.

I give him a B+. Not an A b/c I feel we left some points on the board.

Can't wait to see what we do when Gore, BDub, Crabtree, and VD are all playing. We have so much fire power on offense it's insane.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He played his usual C grade
  • irief
  • Veteran
Remember, it's real tough to gauge anything from preseason. Can't make any accurate judgments on Alex or anything else until the first game of the season.

Tonight doesn't mean Alex is a Hall of Famer or that the defense sux. Preseason and the regular season are just totally different animals. Even when watching the first team offense or defense on the field.

That being said, I hope Alex does tear it up in the regular season and the defense dominates when it counts.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Alex Smith was awesome given the talent he had to deal with tonight. He showed great poise/place, and knew where he was in this game (he's no longer the lost deer in the headlights). Dude made moves when he had to.

Also loved seeing Smith cuss out the coaching staff for the delay of play-calling upstairs. -Alex even audibled on that huge Delanie Walker play (in which Morgan almost muffed with that illegal block).

I think Alex is to the point he's so comfortable and confident with the offense that he's ready to go rogue and tell Raye to go f**k himself when s**t hits the fan with the horrible playcalling.

Indeed, great observation of Alex making the audible and taking charge, the zone needs more of you posters that actually watch the games and now how to evaluate football plays the correct way.
Originally posted by susweel:

Great observation. Don't break it down and analyze anything, just make blind biased statements with no substance.

Keep up the good work!
I would give him an A-. He was not sacked which means he was not holding onto the ball too long. He was stepping up in the pocket and finding a WR. Seemed like he was dumping the ball off to a TE a lot but thats ok with me. That just means that he did not see anyone open down field (which no one was). This also means that he is making good decisions and not forcing the ball which mostly leads to a INT. He seemed poised without yet again his top two targets in Crabtree and Davis. Also remember that there were some passes dropped that should have been caught.
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Originally posted by susweel:

Great observation. Don't break it down and analyze anything, just make blind biased statements with no substance.

Keep up the good work!

lol
If Smith continues to play this well we will make the playoffs. I can't imagine what he'll look like when Gore, Davis and Crabtree are all in the line up together.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he played excellent despite our WR inability to get open

on a side note OL looks very good 100x better than last year
Didn't watch the game but things seems to be looking great. In 4 drives we had 2 FG oppurtunites and 1 TD.

I'm really starting to buy the kool aid that we can be more than just a low end playoff team.

I'd give him a B. He led two nice drives. One in the 1st quarter stalled due to some stupid mistakes and one in the 2nd quarter that ended with the TD to Morgan. I'm looking forward to seeing him work with Vernon & Crabtree.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If Smith continues to play this well we will make the playoffs. I can't imagine what he'll look like when Gore, Davis and Crabtree are all in the line up together.

This. I really cannot wait for the regular season. Watching ALL of our playmakers on field at the same time will truly attest to whether or not Smith can win. He is surrounded by talent at each main position and our O-Line seems to be gelling well. Only thing left to do is go out there and prove it on the field.
I gave him an A. I sure wish we could get everybody healed and on the field for a few plays just to see what could really happen. But I would not rush it so we can start our run to the playoffs with everyone healthy. GO NINERS
I gave him a "B" because he was missing a couple of weapons , but crap we go from a "B" to a "D" with Carr in there. I hope Smith stays damn healthy all year.
Looked good.

Lets see how Smith looks week 1 at Seattle. Playing with that crowd noise and against more exotic blitz packages. Show some pocket poise against that.
Share 49ersWebzone