LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 167 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Shaj:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

Gradkowski was playing against our 2nd and 3rd stringers.

um, yeah you might need to watch the game again.... Grad was playing our starters well into the 3rd Qtr...

I'm watching it again right now and he just got a TD to Zack Miller over Michael Lewis, with Patrick Willis over running the pass.

How is that Smith's fault though? Come on he doesn't play on defense. Yeah our secondary looked like swiss cheese but that's not his fault.

WHO the hell said it was Smith's fault?...you guyz are nuts....what did I just walk into

I'm just watching the game again, and was telling Lamb that he was mistaken.....

*walks slowly backwards from 9ertalk*

Eh Shaj said how Gradkowski was better etc. I did think Gradkowski played well but our D wasn't so great today. You didn't say it was his fault but other people like fly have been saying s**t about him so it's like ehh. I thought he played really well. If he plays like this in the regular season we should make the playoffs.
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

um, yeah you might need to watch the game again.... Grad was playing our starters well into the 3rd Qtr...

I'm watching it again right now and he just got a TD to Zack Miller over Michael Lewis, with Patrick Willis over running the pass.

How is that Smith's fault though? Come on he doesn't play on defense. Yeah our secondary looked like swiss cheese but that's not his fault.

WHO the hell said it was Smith's fault?...you guyz are nuts....what did I just walk into

I'm just watching the game again, and was telling Lamb that he was mistaken.....

Eh Shaj said how Gradkowski was better etc. I did think Gradkowski played well but our D wasn't so great today. You didn't say it was his fault but other people like fly have been saying s**t about him so it's like ehh. I thought he played really well. If he plays like this in the regular season we should make the playoffs.

the defense took it easy after they injured jason campbell. though i dont think that ever crossed your mind.
Originally posted by thojess:
I thought he looked sharp. Passes were crisp and on the mark. One thing though, why do we seem to drop more balls than any team in the league? I swear this team has more balls hit hands and go incomplete than any team I watch. Maybe its my imagination, but lots of catchable balls are falling incomplete.

It's not your imagination. We drop a lot.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by thojess:
I thought he looked sharp. Passes were crisp and on the mark. One thing though, why do we seem to drop more balls than any team in the league? I swear this team has more balls hit hands and go incomplete than any team I watch. Maybe its my imagination, but lots of catchable balls are falling incomplete.

It's not your imagination. We drop a lot.

How the f**k does Jerry Sullivan still have a job? He's created ZERO good receivers in his tenure. ZERO. Crabtree is just good because he's an amazing talent. Sullivan sucks!
Originally posted by WestCoast:

the defense took it easy after they injured jason campbell. though i dont think that ever crossed your mind.

It could be that Campbell getting hurt reminds all the 49ers players that it's senseless to be seriously injured in a preseason game, and the intensity was toned down a bit.

It's still bad that Campbell was able to drive the Raiders down the field for a TD right off the bat though.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Another Solid B from me.....But the TD buys him an A

But I voted B Keep up the good work Alex
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.
He played very well IMO. 2 weeks in a row as well. That's a good sign.

As comparisons:

Translation:

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

you might be the most biased person in here when it comes to smith.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Get on the bandwagonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

As comparisons:

Translation:

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He played very well IMO. 2 weeks in a row as well. That's a good sign.

Is a good sign...U stay classy SanDiego
He had some good throws, not any bad ones.

I'd like to see him not bail so quickly on that pass to Byham that was dropped on 3rd down (he had Dixon open for a TD). He also played right into the Ds hands when he threw to Ziegler on 3rd and long with the blitz coming. They wanted him to do that as Safety Mike Huff creamed Ziggy as soon as he caught it. He could have waited a second and made the D pay.

Overall though, he moved the ball.

Our offense FEELS much improved. I can only imagine with Gore, VD, Crabs, DWalker, Westbrook (who himself looked great in his limited action) what we can do.

I give him a B+. Not an A b/c I feel we left some points on the board.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

As comparisons:

Translation:

you might be the most biased person in here when it comes to smith.

Certainly not the most, but right up at the top.
Share 49ersWebzone