LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 317 users in the forums

Video-Taylor Mays Hit- A Glimpse of the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ironically, I was drafting the 49ers defense in my live 14-team league (fifth D off the board =) --- I got lucky!) as that play was happening.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
But is that the way you are supposed to tackle a receiver? Pushing a player down with your hands doesn't strike me as a power hit.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
What an idiot, doesn't know by pushing the reciever out of bounds, he just lost a tackle. I don't want him on the field again, we need a safety that understands football

you clearly do not understand football. Singletary raced to mays afterwards and hugged him.

you clearly do not understand sarcasm

I thought Sing ran to him, pulled down his pants and started to-
The most overrated player on the board right now. Another quiet game, makes no impact, and then one big hit....color me not impressed with his overall play.

I'll take a guy who actually plays well throughout the game, and doesn't make the rare highlight reel play versus a guy who is often out of position, takes bad angles far too often, and then makes a pretty play once a game too hoodwink some people that he is a good player.

Mays isn't even the most impressive rookie in the secondary right now. That honor goes to Adams.

I'll take the guy who quietly buries 15 foot jumpers like a machine than a guy who makes an awe-inspiring slam dunk then dribbles the ball off his foot for times in a row.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM ]
I like the back pedal in that clip. It looked smooth and natural rather than painfully forced like his 1st minicamp video.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by susweel:
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but to me Tayor Mays has been the most invisible rookie so far.

I think that we generally like to slow the development of our safeties since they bear so much responsibility in our defense.

It took Goldson a few years before he took the field. And it's now taken R. Smith a few years as well before we've heard that he's lighting up the practice field.

Plus, Mays was never going to unseat Lewis, I think we'll hear more about him in the coming years. He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic.

-9fA

2nd round pick we can't wait too long for him. He needs to pickup things faster. I'm kinda worried about him because he often was invisible at USC also.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but to me Tayor Mays has been the most invisible rookie so far.

Phillip Adams has been a nice surprise. Hope he makes the team.

Mays has made a good play in both games so far. Next year he will be beasts

Adams has seventh round steal written all over him.

Yes, he does. Dude is physical and has an attitude.

Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Phillip Adams has been a nice surprise. Hope he makes the team.

Mays has made a good play in both games so far. Next year he will be beasts

Adams has seventh round steal written all over him.

I hope you're right about Adams. I've seen the Niners draft so many terrible corners throughout the years, while other teams draft great corners in the lower rounds. We need help at that position asap.

I hope so too. If Adams even comes close to being the Marques Colston of corners (knock on wood), one could argue that replacing McCloughan with Baalke was the right decision.
WR still caught the ball....I want balls popping out! LOL BALLS FLYING EVERYWHERE!!!

To be honest that hit wasn't all that
Originally posted by wailers15:
WR still caught the ball....I want balls popping out! LOL BALLS FLYING EVERYWHERE!!!

If it was one of our WRs it would've popped out

Doesn't matter, the most important part is that he knocked him out of bounds...

Originally posted by baybreaker707:

If it was one of our WRs it would've popped out

Oh man.. our wrs look likes a cowards cuz gave up for popped out..
Damn!

Are you guys for real? Are you really questioning the "awesomeness" of that "hit"? Then get a new Lott Jersey cause his shadow certainly envelopes Mays. Mays really demonstrates his abilities in that one play. Go rewind for yourself. His backpedal, his recovery speed, his strength, his ferocity, all displayed for all to "wow".

He will get it. He will overcome all this talk of "cover". He will succeed, but in the meantime...

If you can't just enjoy that play for its simplicity sake, then take off your panties and turn in your man card!

PS...long day, tired of

PSS Went back to rewind play. Just keep using the pause button to slowly demonstrate my point of view...
[ Edited by ninertico on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM ]
What an idiot, doesn't know by pushing the reciever out of bounds, he just lost a tackle. I don't want him on the field again, we need a safety that understands football

words dont express how stupid you sound
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:

words dont express how stupid you sound actually
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:

words dont express how stupid you sound actually

words dont express how stupid you sound nerd!
Share 49ersWebzone