49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 661 users in the forums

Negativity doesn't help create a winning mentality.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 29,755
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

Finally someone gets it. If I had the attitude of complacency and tolerance of excuses most everyone else had here, I'd be in the same position I was in 16 years ago when I entered the workforce, still making "woe is me" excuses for why the world is unfair and why I can't be a success. And as icing on the cake, I could call everyone who urges me to overcome obstacles and do better a "hater", and show them gifs of some fat boy saying "haters gonna hate". What a losing attitude.

Will you eat crow this season if Smith lights it up?

I've only complained about his historical performance. I've never said he won't or can't have a good future. I'll be right there celebrating with you if he lights it up; I hope he does. If anything, 99% of the zone needs to eat crow; I vocally said he was the wrong pick from the get-go, which nobody can disagree with in retrospect.

...or can know for sure at this point in time.

you're right, let's wait another 5 years to see what happens.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

Finally someone gets it. If I had the attitude of complacency and tolerance of excuses most everyone else had here, I'd be in the same position I was in 16 years ago when I entered the workforce, still making "woe is me" excuses for why the world is unfair and why I can't be a success. And as icing on the cake, I could call everyone who urges me to overcome obstacles and do better a "hater", and show them gifs of some fat boy saying "haters gonna hate". What a losing attitude.

Will you eat crow this season if Smith lights it up?

I've only complained about his historical performance. I've never said he won't or can't have a good future. I'll be right there celebrating with you if he lights it up; I hope he does. If anything, 99% of the zone needs to eat crow; I vocally said he was the wrong pick from the get-go, which nobody can disagree with in retrospect.

...or can know for sure at this point in time.

you're right, let's wait another 5 years to see what happens.

You should have just stopped after writing the bold. Honestly, no one can know at this point. Rodgers could suffer a career ending injury this year and Smith could become a top tier QB over the next three seasons. This is the NFL.
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

2000 Ravens won the super bowl with the best "backup" QB in the league - Trent Dilfer. The Bucs in 2003 also had a pretty average QB.

Great and then what did they do? I want a team that stays in the conversation EVERY season, not a flash in the pan.

The Ravens have been in playoffs talks every year since. They are considered a top 4 in the AFC this year

Yea, I'll give you that, but how many rings since the first? I think Flaco gives them an edge he can change a game, he is more than a care taker QB.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 29,755
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.

It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.

It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".

They do? Let's see some links then. Z is the single worst spin doctor on this site, to the point of being ridiculous. Wait...are you him too...that would make total sense.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 29,755
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.

It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".

They do? Let's see some links then. Z is the single worst spin doctor on this site, to the point of being ridiculous. Wait...are you him too...that would make total sense.

you hear the same nfl analysts talk that I do... Clayton, Razzano, Collinsworth, etc. I don't have time to pull them all up for zoners to make excuses about. I rarely hear anything positive about him from the nfl analyst community. On the beat writers, they all seem to be neutral/hopeful, and then Lynch seems to be neutral/less hopeful. It's the ESPN//SI/other NFL analysts that always call out Smith as the weak link and say he needs to step it up for this team to be successful. Please don't pretend you don't see this commentary over and over.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

2000 Ravens won the super bowl with the best "backup" QB in the league - Trent Dilfer. The Bucs in 2003 also had a pretty average QB.

Great and then what did they do? I want a team that stays in the conversation EVERY season, not a flash in the pan.

The Ravens have been in playoffs talks every year since. They are considered a top 4 in the AFC this year

Yea, I'll give you that, but how many rings since the first? I think Flaco gives them an edge he can change a game, he is more than a care taker QB.

What I will point out is the difference in expectations from 9er fans to those of the saints for example. The Saints had their first championship in a long long time. If they don't get another one for 15 years will their fans be dissapointed or call for Brees' head? Doubtful, yet, we won't be satisfied with a team that only wins one championship a decade? We must understand the likelyhood of having a dominant decade like we did in the 80's is very low. I'll just be happy to be meaningful again, to have hope each year instead of just hoping to not suck.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
  • Posts: 1,489
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
There is a book you can checkout at the library published by a German scientist called Nanna. It is about the power of positivity. If you can believe it, his research is documented in the molecules that makeup plant-life. This scientist found that talking positively to plants, improves their overall wellbeing. A quick web search can lead you to more about this topic if you're interested, but the focus of this thread is on some of the fans of this team.

Whether you're a Smith supporter, a Smith doubter, a Smith hater, or Alex Smith himself, we all know he has a lot to prove and hasn't delivered what was expected of him when he was drafted in 2005. As fans, we are all hoping for the best. And as fans, we all know that if he doesn't deliver this season, he won't be here in the future. So what is left to talk about? Nothing? Do you agree? Okay, lets move on. And further, if we don't have anything positive to say or something of new and interest, then lets keep it to ourselves... for the benefit of the team. Honestly, do you know how ridiculous it looks to crucify Smith over one bad pass in Week 1 of the preseason, after he is coming off of the best season of his career and helping the 49ers earn their best outcome to a season in nearly a decade?

Just as Smith is treated poorly by some 49er fans, so are Raye, Singletary, and others. Again, give it a rest. Fans of the team know the deal and they know what the positives and strengths are of these coaches and players, and they know what the shortcomings are. So many fans seem to take issue with the negatives while never weighing the positives. Whenever you're evaluating something, you have to weigh the good and the bad. As fans we know the team is improving and heading in a better direction than when it was being lead by Nolan and McCloughan. The team chemistry is better, the talent is better, and we're now recruiting quality veterans such as Brian Westbrook. Do you think Brian Westbrook would have chosen to play for the 2005 49ers over the 2010 49ers?

The division is ours to lose people! What is with "the sky is falling" mentality? What are we so afraid of? Instead of believing that you know the future, why don't you sit back, relax, and see what actually transpires? Who benefits from bashing a player over a bad play? If someone knows, I'm listening. What I notice is that those who bash Smith never want to give him his due when he does something positive. If you're one of those people, it is time to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're behaving in such a way.

If you want Smith to do better, be positive. It is well known that a QB benefits from confidence, and confidence can be instilled in a person by knowing that others have confidence in them. We've seen this guy toss 3 TDs in a half, so we know he has the ability. It is a mental battle for Smith at this point, and if we want to help him with that, we need to be in his corner. And remember, supporting Smith doesn't mean you prefer his skill set over Carr's or Davis's, it just means you're hoping he succeeds so that the team succeeds.

Tell this to Jeff Kaplan. Sure, let us not be ignorant and believe everything we hear. But we can and should be hyped up for this team because of everything we've seen leading up to this. A revamped O-Line with proven Backs. Continuity in both defense and offense. Bigger threats on special teams. Kaplan just nit picks every little POSSIBLE problem and that's all he writes about.
Originally posted by Shaj:
It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".

You mean the guys who don't follow the team and just regurgitate what the popular and unsupported opinions are? John Clayton talking about what a great receiving corps we have that catch passes which should go for drops and help Smith in that respect was a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.

It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".

They do? Let's see some links then. Z is the single worst spin doctor on this site, to the point of being ridiculous. Wait...are you him too...that would make total sense.

you hear the same nfl analysts talk that I do... Clayton, Razzano, Collinsworth, etc. I don't have time to pull them all up for zoners to make excuses about. I rarely hear anything positive about him from the nfl analyst community. On the beat writers, they all seem to be neutral/hopeful, and then Lynch seems to be neutral/less hopeful. It's the ESPN//SI/other NFL analysts that always call out Smith as the weak link and say he needs to step it up for this team to be successful. Please don't pretend you don't see this commentary over and over.

If Smith is the weak link, how come he single handedly turned around the team last year when he replaced Shaun Hill? I'll be waiting for a quality response.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 29,755
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.

It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".

They do? Let's see some links then. Z is the single worst spin doctor on this site, to the point of being ridiculous. Wait...are you him too...that would make total sense.

you hear the same nfl analysts talk that I do... Clayton, Razzano, Collinsworth, etc. I don't have time to pull them all up for zoners to make excuses about. I rarely hear anything positive about him from the nfl analyst community. On the beat writers, they all seem to be neutral/hopeful, and then Lynch seems to be neutral/less hopeful. It's the ESPN//SI/other NFL analysts that always call out Smith as the weak link and say he needs to step it up for this team to be successful. Please don't pretend you don't see this commentary over and over.

If Smith is the weak link, how come he single handedly turned around the team last year when he replaced Shaun Hill? I'll be waiting for a quality response.

he mostly played good against bad teams and bad against good teams. I think he did well overall. Did he beat a single team with a winning record last year? Without checking, I don't think he did. It's hard for me to be impressed with that, personally.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
There is a book you can checkout at the library published by a German scientist called Nanna. It is about the power of positivity. If you can believe it, his research is documented in the molecules that makeup plant-life. This scientist found that talking positively to plants, improves their overall wellbeing. A quick web search can lead you to more about this topic if you're interested, but the focus of this thread is on some of the fans of this team.

Whether you're a Smith supporter, a Smith doubter, a Smith hater, or Alex Smith himself, we all know he has a lot to prove and hasn't delivered what was expected of him when he was drafted in 2005. As fans, we are all hoping for the best. And as fans, we all know that if he doesn't deliver this season, he won't be here in the future. So what is left to talk about? Nothing? Do you agree? Okay, lets move on. And further, if we don't have anything positive to say or something of new and interest, then lets keep it to ourselves... for the benefit of the team. Honestly, do you know how ridiculous it looks to crucify Smith over one bad pass in Week 1 of the preseason, after he is coming off of the best season of his career and helping the 49ers earn their best outcome to a season in nearly a decade?

Just as Smith is treated poorly by some 49er fans, so are Raye, Singletary, and others. Again, give it a rest. Fans of the team know the deal and they know what the positives and strengths are of these coaches and players, and they know what the shortcomings are. So many fans seem to take issue with the negatives while never weighing the positives. Whenever you're evaluating something, you have to weigh the good and the bad. As fans we know the team is improving and heading in a better direction than when it was being lead by Nolan and McCloughan. The team chemistry is better, the talent is better, and we're now recruiting quality veterans such as Brian Westbrook. Do you think Brian Westbrook would have chosen to play for the 2005 49ers over the 2010 49ers?

The division is ours to lose people! What is with "the sky is falling" mentality? What are we so afraid of? Instead of believing that you know the future, why don't you sit back, relax, and see what actually transpires? Who benefits from bashing a player over a bad play? If someone knows, I'm listening. What I notice is that those who bash Smith never want to give him his due when he does something positive. If you're one of those people, it is time to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're behaving in such a way.

If you want Smith to do better, be positive. It is well known that a QB benefits from confidence, and confidence can be instilled in a person by knowing that others have confidence in them. We've seen this guy toss 3 TDs in a half, so we know he has the ability. It is a mental battle for Smith at this point, and if we want to help him with that, we need to be in his corner. And remember, supporting Smith doesn't mean you prefer his skill set over Carr's or Davis's, it just means you're hoping he succeeds so that the team succeeds.

I like where your head its up, agreed 100%

go niners
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am often called a Hater by the kids on this site, I just feel there is nothing wrong being self critical in examining any part of your life were you expect excellence.

Some people call it hate I call it high standards.

There is a difference between criticism and negativity. That point has been made many times in this thread. Also, there is a difference between high standards and unreasonable standards.

Really, try making an intelligent and critical insight on A Smith and watch the "Hate" police come running!

Last season I practically got death threats for thinking we should cut Mrob, and don't get me going about my heretical talk of drafting another qb early (2-3 round) this year on the outside chance that Smith is never matures into a top 10 QB.... I still have nightmare from the smily they burned on my lawn!

Does it matter if he matures into a top 10 QB? YES We need him to mature into a legitimate starting QB that is consistent enough to win football games. Have you seen our team? AGAIN YES It is pretty awesome; translation, we don't need Smith to win games for us. YES--WE DO We have one of the best running backs,HOW OLD a young and very powerful O-line, and a great young defense. We just need consistency at this point and growing team chemistry. We're built to win championships as is... experience and chemistry is what is going to take us to Trophy #6.

Name all dynastic NFL team that did not have a top tier QB, a QB able to make the difference in a big game.

Now make a list of those that do, tell me witch is longer, great teams don't have room for a caretaker QB unless you are talking about the second string. Alex needs to be a positive difference maker.

I'm not thinking of #6 is is #s 7,8,9,10 I want!

Positive thinking is cute, but in sports much like life, high standards, and consistent effort aide you better in dealing with the harsh reality that the world is not always a positive place.
I am currently working with a group of super positive thinkers, and it is great for moral, but when blind sided by the real world or bad news, nothing beats the competence and confidence born from hard work and preparedness.

Quality starting QBs are difference makers. Did you see Smith hit Crabtree on third and long for the TD at Green Bay last year? His multiple three TD halves? His pass to Vernon Davis for the record tying TD? We know Smith has game changing ability, it is just a matter of becoming consistent. Still, that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top 10 QB, but who is to say a top 12 or 14 QB isn't good enough with the supporting cast he has now? Also, if he is a top 12 or 14 QB this year, that means he still has ample time to grow into a top 10 QB.

I'm am not a hater, I have seen flashes from Smith, and have been waiting for consistency. My point is when I am critical of him the "fanboys" on this site jump me and call me "Hater" and tell me to be more positive, were is the middle ground in the conversation?

You are obviously not one of those ACP guys, I am beginning to think that all of those guys are ZRF with multiple accounts so he has someone to back his ignorant views.

It's funny that most of the NFL analysts that I hear agree with those "ignorant" views. I'm wondering if we are confusing "ignorant" with "inconvenient".

They do? Let's see some links then. Z is the single worst spin doctor on this site, to the point of being ridiculous. Wait...are you him too...that would make total sense.

you hear the same nfl analysts talk that I do... Clayton, Razzano, Collinsworth, etc. I don't have time to pull them all up for zoners to make excuses about. I rarely hear anything positive about him from the nfl analyst community. On the beat writers, they all seem to be neutral/hopeful, and then Lynch seems to be neutral/less hopeful. It's the ESPN//SI/other NFL analysts that always call out Smith as the weak link and say he needs to step it up for this team to be successful. Please don't pretend you don't see this commentary over and over.

If Smith is the weak link, how come he single handedly turned around the team last year when he replaced Shaun Hill? I'll be waiting for a quality response.

he mostly played good against bad teams and bad against good teams. I think he did well overall. Did he beat a single team with a winning record last year? Without checking, I don't think he did. It's hard for me to be impressed with that, personally.

On the contrary, he played quite well against the Packers and the Colts. It was other parts of the team including the coaching that let us down in those games.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone