LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Reports of Alex looking average in practice.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He looks a little better than average HERE (click on Alex Smith practice footage to the right of the page)

[ Edited by Mysteriousballa on Aug 11, 2010 at 08:56:58 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.

This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."

I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.

Again, Peyton Manning had a bad day in practice the other day. This is not to compare Alex to Manning, but it just goes to show that you're not always going to look good in practice. I think the notion that "Smith SHOULD look good every day in practice" is just absurd. Now if he stunk it up every practice, I'd be a little more concerned, but when it is a one time deal r this camp there is way too much stock put into that day.

I don't get too high on Smith when reports are good, and I don't get too low when he has an off day.

What I certainly take exception to are the fans that are hypocritical. If you are going to bash Smith for a bad day in practice, you sure as sh!t better praise him for a good day when he has it. Unfortunately, the ACP just focuses on the negative and doesn't acknowledge his good days.

But when he has a bad day, it's time to create a "sky is falling" thread and start sh!tting their pants.

Like I said, it's a double standard and horesh!t IMO. But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

No one is talking about one bad day. I wouldn't even care if it. Were one practice he did bad in. Matt M. stated that he has had accuracy issues throughout camp. Why does everyone keep mentioning one bad day?

Again:
That's a bunch of bulls**t:

Quote:
Today's morning practice wasn't nearly as ragged as yesterday's, and the 49ers seemed to suffer no major injuries. But one element was off-kilter: QB Alex Smith, who has looked fairly accurate through most of camp, had perhaps his worst day of the summer.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/08/one-step-back-for-alex-smith.html

Phil Barber twitter:

Quote:
skinny_post RT @kschefer: @Skinny_Post Reports on A. Smith seem to be getting worse... >> Don't panic, Smith has mostly looked accurate before today

The Joecool troll patrol is out in full force!

Quote:

Q: haven't heard a lot about Alex Smith lately. Is he still having a good camp? @chaotic49erfan

My response: The expectation level has risen for the 49ers' quarterback, so I'd say he is not having a good camp. He's having a so-so camp. But let's not sound the alarms, yet. We're a week into the practices. I don't think Smith's accuracy is where it needs to be on the short throws. On the other hand, his deep passes have been pretty good. Right now, I'd say he has been a lot more impressive than he's ever been from whistle to snap. That is, he's doing all the things you'd want your quarterback to do in the huddle, pre-snap, etc. But he has not been particularly sharp with the ball in his hand. But, again, it's early. I'll stand by the numerous statements I've made that I'd expect him to improve, production-wise, this season over the 10 1/2 games he played last season.

Read more: 49ers Mailbag: Smith, So Far, Has Been So-So
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

I will take Matt M. word over Phil Barber. I don't give a crap about Smith having one bad practice. It's the fact that he's still having the same issues with the short passes that he had since his rookie year that should be concerning.

Whatever I'm done with this s**t. MM said he had a few issues with short throws and he hasn't been perfect so he hasn't been as good as he expected, but he's still doing okay and his long throws have been really nice. MB and Barber haven't said he's had any issues with his short throws. You're holding onto one quote and making a big f'ing deal about it after you had pretty much shut up when everything looked like it was going good. This is ridiculous and it's pointless for me to even argue with you because you're just going to say what you keep saying and I'm going to wait and see until the team actually plays. So whatever this is stupid, and it's a waste of my time.

Willis, I think I'm being a little misunderstood here. I agree that his deep balls have been reported to be on target and have posted a while back that let's hope Alex plays like this during the season because it seems as though consistency and experience has helped his confidence which has helped his performance. However, I NEVER knew he was still having the old accuracy issues on the shorter passes. He will be throwing shorter passes the majority of the time during the season.

I only brought this up as a concern, which it should be. I didn't bring it up to bash Alex as he has been showing leadership and he's been looking nice on the deep ball.

BTW, Matt M. has been one of the most accurate Niners beat writers to this day. He should hold a little more credibility than Phil Barber.

Yes, you're right, it's only practice but at the same time, it's a repeating concern that has hurt his play during regular season.
Originally posted by susweel:
play like you practice

This is going to be a long year....again. A playoff defense with a mediocre QB surrounded by talent equals disappointment.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
So....how does he look TODAY?!?!?!?!?!
I figure if he has a good day with TD throws, I'll worry about our defense not doing their job. If Smith starts throwing INTs, then I'll worry about our QB situation, but relieved that our D has stepped up. Either way, I'll worry about something since we "should" win the division, but unsure of our chances to go deep into playoffs.
"average" is a step up, so what are we complaining about?
Skinny_Post

RT @jj49ersrule: @Skinny_Post so all this media talk on smith because one bad day should the niner nation be nervous >> No, it's a marathon
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
"average" is a step up, so what are we complaining about?

Stir it up, Syber!
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
play like you practice

This is going to be a long year....again. A playoff defense with a mediocre QB surrounded by talent equals disappointment.

1 inconsistent practice doesn't mean he's mediocre.
Skinny_Post

RT @CraftyGiraffe: @Skinny_Post How long usually for QBs to recover from "arm weary" period in TC? >> Kind of tough if you keep throwing

Great thread.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
play like you practice

but, but, but he's developing......... ohh, and our starting center is hurt, lets just sign him for another 5 yrs..
Patrick Willis was on Rome Is Burning the other day and he said Alex is facing one of the better defenses in the league, his own, in practice, so it would make sense that he's gonna have some struggles. Even then, it's not like he's struggling every day.
1) It is only one bad day!
2) Based on his career stats, average would be an improvement.
3) To early to panic
Originally posted by fly15:
play like you practice

but, but, but he's developing......... ohh, and our starting center is hurt, lets just sign him for another 5 yrs..

too many excuses to list, its time for him to show up when the games count. i dont want another losing season without going to the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone