There are 256 users in the forums

What a bummer, Balmer!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Funny how many of you dislike players that don't perform well. Y'all almost make it personal.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Funny how many of you dislike players that don't perform well. Y'all almost make it personal.

For the record, I've never liked Balmer. Although, it's not his fault that Scotty picked him in the first rd.

There are several guys here that used to be Balmer fans till recently though........You know who you are.
ive been one of the guys whos willing to be patient with him, but more and more im losing patience with this guy that drunk ass mccoughlan decided to pick in the 1st
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
yea hes a bust because he missed his first practice of training camp ...

fail

wut?
How can he be a bust when he never was anything to begin with? I still don't understand that pick. Never will.
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
I hope he's got trade value, and teams are willing to take him, hello Redskins!

How would he have any value? He hasn't done ANYTHING. At all.

fail

Epic fail.

He's a bust because he hasn't done a damn thing. He's a first round pick that can't even sniff the field.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 10, 2010 at 01:17:03 ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

fail

Epic fail.

He's a bust because he hasn't done a damn thing. He's a first round pick that can't even sniff the field.

Apparently some don't follow Niner news day to day because the thread is about what his reason is for having to leave training camp, not his excuse for underperforming. Bust or otherwise, the question is what his personal issue is and not whether or not him missing practice makes him a bust.

...So I'd have to say there's no 'fail' there.

I say, he's still on the team and while he may not become the perennial all-pro we'd like from every 1st round pick, he may still find his place. He's dissappointed, but the vast majority of picks do and he is not yet a total bust. That being said, semi-defending a current Niner who has potential is rarely a fail.

Not understanding the thread you're posting in and dissing a fellow poster for pointing that out while using it as an excuse to whine about how much a Niner sucks is much more of a fail.
I think his ass is getting canned. Think about it, we've been leaving him out of reps (preserving the merchandise), and now he's been given an a visit to the principle's office (Sing probably notified him today that a deal is in transit).

We're probably shipping him off to Buffalo for a 2011 conditional draft pick, and a copy of Jake the Snake's Greatest Matches DVD set.

while the main subject is on his personal issue (while this is probably some family issue such as sickness/death) I have to make a comment on this bust thing. it is entirely possible that 1st round picks can end up being backups or role players. sometimes the blame is entirely on the drafter not the draftee. he should have been drafted later than he was. we have several 1st rounders who are backups on our team. I know he wasnt a high draft pick but it was a couple years till franklin got a lot of playin time.

Originally posted by brucesf49:
while the main subject is on his personal issue (while this is probably some family issue such as sickness/death) I have to make a comment on this bust thing. it is entirely possible that 1st round picks can end up being backups or role players. sometimes the blame is entirely on the drafter not the draftee. he should have been drafted later than he was. we have several 1st rounders who are backups on our team. I know he wasnt a high draft pick but it was a couple years till franklin got a lot of playin time.

This is true. If not mistaken Franklin sat the bench in Baltimore for 4 years and didn't make an impact with us until his 2nd year. Thats 5 years of non-productivity.

Balmer was selected too high but everyone knew he was a project and he probably would have been selected in the early 2nd round. Also he has Justin Smith and Isaac Soapaga in front of him at his position. Smith isn't going anywhere and Soap fits his role well.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by brucesf49:

This is true. If not mistaken Franklin sat the bench in Baltimore for 4 years and didn't make an impact with us until his 2nd year. Thats 5 years of non-productivity.

Balmer was selected too high but everyone knew he was a project and he probably would have been selected in the early 2nd round. Also he has Justin Smith and Isaac Soapaga in front of him at his position. Smith isn't going anywhere and Soap fits his role well.

I disagree that Balmer was picked too high. A concensus of major mock drafts that year had him in the first round at the 29th pick, exactly where he was picked.
this guy sucks, id say trade him but i don't we'd get a 7th rounder for him.... terrible pick
Originally posted by JoeO321:
this guy sucks, id say trade him but i don't we'd get a 7th rounder for him.... terrible pick

got something for shaun hill, we could potentially get somethign for thsi dude.
Reading between the lines it seems like the personal reasons he left were because he wasn't getting any playing time. I honestly think he might have been on the chopping block coming into this year. He hasnt made an impact at all in his two seasons not even a flash play here or there. And the fact that he got hurt and couldnt workout this off season didnt help either. The GM and coach that drafted him arent here anymore so who can step in and change there mind if the coaches are down on him.
Share 49ersWebzone