There are 202 users in the forums

What Vernon would do if Dez Bryant was in Camp

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crzy:
The words of Bill Walsh echo my sentiments

Quote:
JT: A big league locker room where people are fighting for their professional life can be a pretty cutthroat place sometimes--hazing of rookies and the like.

Bill Walsh: We didn't allow it. We didn't allow any hazing whatsoever. Players should be able to focus totally on their performance and their effort to make the team. They shouldn't be distracted or maligned. And it really worked out because there were men who came in and started as rookies and were included on the team the minute they arrived. And guys like Billy Ring and Milt McCall who came to us as free agents. They were allowed to compete for a job rather than be distracted and embarrassed through hazing. There's always one cruel person if there is any form of hazing. It just takes one cruel person who mistreats others. That can really have an effect on them and, consequently, an effect on the team's performance.

Bill Walsh is right. Hazing is unnecessary childish bulls**t.

/end thread

Wrong! Coaches don't always know what goes on in the locker room... you think coaches stick around when 50 dudes drop their pants and hop in the showers? or Going out to clubs with the rookies? Or participate in "player only" meetings? Unless the coaches are directing players on the practice field they are in their own little padded offices away from the players.

I'm sorry if the frat you got kicked out of or team you probably didn't make you do the "elephant walk" (dont take it personally btw just crackin jokes) but in the end there is and always will be hazing in any type of team sport. Doesn't mean its a bad thing, there is a difference between being beaten with soap in a sock, and the vets forcing you to pick up a dinner tab or singing a song... still hazing.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Bill Walsh's opinion >>>> everyone else's opinion in this thread.

I think it's pathetic that people are even discussing something as useless as carrying shoulder pads. It's not a fraternity, it's the NFL.

And not just Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren also banned hazing.

Quote:

"I just remember how distracting it is for a young guy trying to make a football team," Zorn explained to me. "And when I went to Seattle, one of the early meetings in training camp, Mike Holmgren stood up and said, "Men, there will be no hazing.' I thought, 'WHAT an idea! GOSH!' And he explained why, and he kind of explained that whole thing that I always thought, 'What are we doing here?' You know, we're grown men, we're fighting to make a football team. And I'm not talking about having fun and poking and doing practical jokes and things like that, I'm not talking about that kind of hazing.
Quote as much as you want... it still happens when it's banned. Trust, I have a friend who made the practice squad of the Hawks under Holmgren... it still happened, just not in front of the coaches and not in front of the media. Usually its more of a "get the bill rook" or "go order us some drinks". Be as deluded as you want to be, it happens everywhere.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:31 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Quote as much as you want... it still happens when it's banned. Trust, I have a friend who made the practice squad of the Hawks under Holmgren... it still happened, just not in front of the coaches and not in front of the media. Usually its more of a "get the bill rook" or "go order us some drinks". Be as deluded as you want to be, it happens everywhere.

But that doesn't mean when a player stands up against it - it's wrong. I give Dez props for refusing it and his explanation resonates with some of the best coaches of our time.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Then it would end up like this.....

Nah, it wouldn't last that long. VD - the Predator!!!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I think it's pathetic that people are even discussing something as useless as carrying shoulder pads. It's not a fraternity, it's the NFL.

Quote:

"I just remember how distracting it is for a young guy trying to make a football team," Zorn explained to me. "And when I went to Seattle, one of the early meetings in training camp, Mike Holmgren stood up and said, "Men, there will be no hazing.' I thought, 'WHAT an idea! GOSH!' And he explained why, and he kind of explained that whole thing that I always thought, 'What are we doing here?' You know, we're grown men, we're fighting to make a football team. And I'm not talking about having fun and poking and doing practical jokes and things like that, I'm not talking about that kind of hazing.

The thing is - had Crabtree done the same thing - majority of ppl would be defending him.
Dez Bryant is going to be a perennial Pro Bowler. And he shouldn't have to carry s**t.

Humility is overrated in sports. The most arrogant athletes are usually the best athletes.

See: Michael Jordan, Deion Sanders.

That's typical crzy logic...
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Quote:

The thing is - had Crabtree done the same thing - majority of ppl would be defending him.

wait your saying that after Crabtree's diva-like holdout... people would DEFEND him if he made an uproar about not wanting to be hazed?

I won't defend any rookie for not carrying shoulder pads, it means he thinks he is better than the vets who went through the exact same thing. It's not like they are lining rookies up in their boxers or making them do push ups on glass... this is all in fun.

Wait a couple years and your gonna see Dez be the ultimate hypocrite when he is a vet and wants to have some fun with the rooks. It's gonna happen and then all these people who appreciate him making a stand will realize he is just an adolescent who thinks he knows everything.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Believe me, I am not a Dez Bryant apologist...but maybe he didn't want to carry ROY WILLIAMS' pads (cuz he sucks) and would be okay carrying Miles Austin's pads...just saying---he might have respect for someone who is putting it to Kim K.

doesnt matter your a rookie and bow down to whoever is a vet.

Quote:

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Dez Bryant is going to be a perennial Pro Bowler. And he shouldn't have to carry s**t.

Humility is overrated in sports. The most arrogant athletes are usually the best athletes.

See: Michael Jordan, Deion Sanders.

Wow. Where do you start with this?

He's just trying to stand out.

Quote:

What faternity kicked your ass and didn't let you in after you pledged....???...LOL
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Quote:

What faternity kicked your ass and didn't let you in after you pledged....???...LOL

-9fA
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Quote:

lol. I was never in a fraternity.

I'm just a Dez Bryant fan.
[ Edited by crzy on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM ]
I comletely agree with Bill walsh, somewhere u know jerry plasticface jones is smiling as i would be because this rookie is there to compete for a role on that team and not play silly games......

P.S fraternity's are fruitier than a box of fruitloops.
Share 49ersWebzone