LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Josh Morgan on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This from Phil barber, Josh Morgan had this to say Saturday:

Wide receiver Josh Morgan was at Boeddeker Park in San Francisco yesterday to help promote a nonprofit group called Year Up. (I'll blog on that later.) I cornered him there. And when I asked Morgan about Smith, his demeanor brightened.

Morgan noted that Smith's confidence seemed to grow by the week last season, but it really sprouted when the offense finally got together for offseason workouts this spring.

"He took total control over everything," the third-year receiver said. "Like with the offense, we'd go out there and half the time Alex would just run the whole thing, run the whole practice without the coaches even being there. That's what you like to see in your quarterback. You like to see him with that type of fire, take that type of leadership. I mean, he's spitting the plays out, he's explaining everything and it's just like, 'Wow. Thank you.' I'm getting excited about it."

"It was like a whole new Alex," Morgan said. "It was like, 'Wow, where did you come from?' I had a couple friends that played with him at Utah, and they said that's how he was at Utah. So it was like, 'Wow, that's what they was talking about.' It's just exciting to see. I'm just hoping he has that same success he had at Utah, and he's gonna really show why he was the No. 1 pick."

I have been a Smith detractor for some time. Though I would be happy to eat some crow if this plays out favorably during the season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This is what people like Peter King miss. Idiot journalists simply project the past forward, but people with insight can see who is up and coming vs. who is headed into decline.

I think that earning the starting job mid-season was Alex Smith's "turning the corner" moment. In 2005, he was in the huddle because Nolan was afraid to keep his #1 draft pick on the bench. Now he owns the huddle because he took the starting job back.

Don't be surprised to see SI articles about how Alex Smith "came from nowhere" if the Niners win a few games early in the season. Sports journalists are not the most insightful folks . . . most can only see something after it has happened.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Isn't this somewhere else in Webzone?
Originally posted by Nes49:

I did a search for "morgan" and I selected "all" forums and these comments did not come up. Apologies if the search was not done properly and this is a repost.
Originally posted by Nes49:

I posted this in the Alex Smith Bandwagon thread a few days ago... Maybe that's what you're thinking of...

old news use the search engine b4 you post
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

old news use the search engine b4 you post

Read the two posts above yours.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Originally posted by susweel:

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by redrathman:

Originally posted by susweel:

Which one is you?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal