LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

Cornerback

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Im actually excited for Philip Adams
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Curious as to whether Walt Harris have anything left in his tank after the injury. He might be our starting CB at ... what...40?

Could Walt move to FS for us. Think he would make a good FS.

Negative

Dashon Goldson is just fine at FS.After a slow start he had a very good season last year:

94tkl/2sck/3ff/4int
Curious as to whether Walt Harris have anything left in his tank after the injury. He might be our starting CB at ... what...40?

I don't think Walt is even on the team..

-9fA
Originally posted by GORO:
Clements returns from injury to start along Shawntae Spencer. Tim Brown will be the third corner.

That leaves Karl Payman and Kevin Smith as the other corners. This scares me, I hope that WALT HARRIS or DRE BLY is resigned so we can compete against the better passing teams in the league.

Or Reggie Smith move back to cornerback would be the next best option. The niners have upgraded at the OL and RS areas but cornerback is not as strong as it was last year.

I think Bly is holding out for more $$ from us or anyone that offers it. If noone does which is likely unless someone has a rash of injuries I think he'll re-sign w/us just b4 TC.

Harris although a great bargain FA signing for us a few years back is 35+ and coming off a major injury we need to move on.
Per NateClements Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I havent 4got about yall...been in arizona on the grind trainin hard...Im Back

I really hope he comes back and comes back strong..He is one of the most physical corners in the league and fits what Singletary is trying to do town to a T.I think Hima and Spencer would make for a pretty good tandem. It could help him out having someone with Mays speed behind him as well.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Tarell Brown, not Tim.

Originally posted by Super5:

Negative

Dashon Goldson is just fine at FS. After a slow start he had a very good season last year...

94tkl/2sck/3ff/4int

I heard talk all of last year that Goldson might move to SS (because he is also a good hitter) and that the Niners would go after a "cover" guy to play FS. That would make W. Harris (or N. Clements) possibilities to move to FS.
The idea behind this was to have a better cover secondary in general. Let's face it....when Michael Lewis is playing SS, the Niners are essentially playing a 3-5-3 defense. It might work well against the run but the team was hurt with the pass last year....especially against good QBs like Favre.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think our corners are gonna have to play well & stay healthy this season.

And in a related story...I think we will win a lot of games if we can score more points than the other team.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by Super5:

Negative

Dashon Goldson is just fine at FS. After a slow start he had a very good season last year...

94tkl/2sck/3ff/4int

I heard talk all of last year that Goldson might move to SS (because he is also a good hitter) and that the Niners would go after a "cover" guy to play FS. That would make W. Harris (or N. Clements) possibilities to move to FS.
The idea behind this was to have a better cover secondary in general. Let's face it....when Michael Lewis is playing SS, the Niners are essentially playing a 3-5-3 defense. It might work well against the run but the team was hurt with the pass last year....especially against good QBs like Favre.

You do realize we drafted Taylor Mays right? Im not saying he his the answer to all of our porblems but I really doubt the niers sign harris move him to FS and Goldson start at SS with Lewis and Mays as the backups at SS

[ Edited by valrod33 on May 4, 2010 at 07:30:38 ]
Originally posted by GORO:
Clements returns from injury to start along Shawntae Spencer. Tim Brown will be the third corner.

That leaves Karl Payman and Kevin Smith as the other corners. This scares me, I hope that WALT HARRIS or DRE BLY is resigned so we can compete against the better passing teams in the league.

Or Reggie Smith move back to cornerback would be the next best option. The niners have upgraded at the OL and RS areas but cornerback is not as strong as it was last year.

It scares me that you don't know the players on our team. TIM Brown? You mean Tarell right.

Don't be too worried. Nate has something to prove and Shawntae will be ok, at least till next year. Our LBs and Safeties will help them out!

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm hoping Bly can come back and be the 4th CB, we need experience and playmaking out of our nickel and dime backs, plus quality depth would keep us competitive, I dont wanna see Keith Smith back in the secondary trying to cover #1 and #2 receivers ever again, but we need our corners to stay healthy, an improved pass rush should make them even more effective
Share 49ersWebzone