LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 360 users in the forums

Change of pace Back!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinersFo6:
By not adding a change of pace back, it only makes our offense that much more predictable and easy to defend!!! I don't care who you add to the OL, 5 will not be able to guard 8 if defenses stack the box to stop the run that they know where it is going!!! I will beat this point into the ground until I'm blue in the face because I believe in the 3 back, with one of them being a change of pace, system!

I think Sig want a balance O and they have much more speed at WR now with Jones, Hill, Gin and Kyle Williams. I don't even think all of then will make the roster. but if there in 3WR or 2 WR the a FB they have good Play action with 8 in the box and man coverage on the outside. I think Ginn and Williams would be great as the slot WR. we will see if it's back to a predictable up the gut O i will be very disapointed.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
By not adding a change of pace back, it only makes our offense that much more predictable and easy to defend!!! I don't care who you add to the OL, 5 will not be able to guard 8 if defenses stack the box to stop the run that they know where it is going!!! I will beat this point into the ground until I'm blue in the face because I believe in the 3 back, with one of them being a change of pace, system!

He's not talking about running the ball all the time. He want balance pass and run. But in the 4th it doesn't matter too much if we will be predictable. Because by that time, the D should be gassed and here comes another big back behind a mammoth O-line.

We are going to have to have the lead in the game in order for that to be effective. It will be hard to do that when:

1st down=run up the middle for 1-2 yards

2nd down and 8=run between gurad and tackle for another 1-2 yards

3rd down and 6=quick out pass to Crabtree for 4 yards

4th and 2=punt

That is what I saw a lot last year and even though we upgraded the OL, I still see it happening again this year!

They didn't have the talents on the O-line do what Singletary wanted last year. Everyone knows that. They should have it this year. Just matter of getting those guys up to speed. Maybe not early in the season but towards the middle or later half there should be good indications.

If people load the box this year Alex Smith is make em pay....

2010 were gonna have a good balanced O.
Screw a change of pace back -- our change of pace will be passing!
We don't need a change of pace... the only pace we need is PAIN.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 25, 2010 at 13:18:41 ]
we have change of pace backs. they just happen to get bigger, stronger and meaner instead of smaller, quicker and faster. i see lots of broken bones in the NFLs future this year because of the niners. offense and defense, we drafted some killers!!!
the change of pace back is overrated in the nfl, thomas jones in new york last year is a similar rb to gore, he can break a long one, but isnt known as a speedster, and they used shonn greene behind him and it worked very well even after leon washington broke his leg, u could argue when their smaller quicker back got hurt, they became a better running team
Originally posted by NCommand:

I could NOT agree more. Raye had the most predictable scheme in he league last year. We may become more balanced the pass and the run but where we need to be most balanced is WITHIN the run and WITHIN the pass.

In the running game we need to be able to bounce it outside, run reverses, screen passes (essentially a run), QB sneaks, naked bootleg, FB dive, RB's catch and run, etc.

3 straight runs right up to the gut and a personnel that telegraphs the plays even more in the NFL = monster fail and lots of o-line injuries facing 8 and 9 men in the box all run blitzing!

i agree to a certain extent. i was really hoping for a change of pace back myself(spiller was my wet dream). but it is clear want sing is trying to implement. the dallas cowboys(c********rs) had a relatively predictable offense in the early 90's and yet nobody could stop them.

just try to imagine everything we did last year actually being successful. instead of 1-2 yards up the middle on 1st and 2nd down, how about 4-6 yards? i know it is alot to hope for considering our ineptitude over the last several years, but this could work regardless of the predictability. we just got to pray that solari(and brown) earn their money.

still, it's hard for me to gloss over your point( it's actuually my point as well, i guess i'm being optimistic and just choosing to drink the kool-aid). it's pretty pathetic when the only way you can attack the edges of the OL is by running WR reverses.

my only problem with sing's vision is that it is an all or nothing gambit he is banking on. either our OL dominates or we will look as bad as we have over the last several years. it will be one or the other. his plan really hasn't left us with any other options.

christ! when i put it that way, i'm not really sure i can get behind this vision he is trying to sell us.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i hope next yr we take a change of pace back who can take it all the way whenever he touches the ball. a player to look at for next yr demarco murray from oklahoma

Well, Frank had two runs of 79 and 80 yards last year against the Seahawks. I think that is good enough.

It is obvious that Singletary isn't looking for a scat back that most of us wish we had. With the new and improved Frank Gore (losing weight and working on his speed) has allowed Frank to take long runs to the endzone. Previously he would get caught from behind. That didn't happen much last year.

In fact, didn't he lead the league with 20+ runs the year before last?

I see what you are saying. How much more dynamic would our offense look like with a CJ Spiller in our back field? I just don't see that the 49ers staff are looking for that type of player. They want someone who is going to bruise and batter you into submission.

[ Edited by DynastyPart2 on Apr 25, 2010 at 13:48:30 ]

Whether with change of pace back or not. I think the offense should be better next year with the addition. You may not like Sing's offensive thinking but it has worked for other teams before and it should work for us, given a chance. I don't like us to be another running team. First impression of Sing would make you think that, but I don't think Sing is into purely running the ball. He's just into punishing the D and running is the best way to do that along with the passes.

we already have one....his name is leroy vann
he doesn't have to be on special teams only..we could try him in the backfield for a reverse and gadget stuff

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i hope next yr we take a change of pace back who can take it all the way whenever he touches the ball. a player to look at for next yr demarco murray from oklahoma

I've seen Murray play a whole lot and, while he doesn't pick up the blitz well enough and he comes with injury concerns, he has good hands and has a good burst from the backfield. May be a 3rd down back in NFL?

Depending if the D is playing man or zone, there are multiple formations and plays to neutralize seven in the box, including play action, draws, and go routes. Also, stacking the box too much is also predictable, especially if the passing game is executing. Having bruising RBs is also nice for added QB protection (assuming they can block), so although you have valid concerns, if we execute well then we should be just fine.
U see I asked for it and in the end it happened. Wished it worked like that all the time. So I guess we did need one.
Share 49ersWebzone