LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 253 users in the forums

How to Stop the Deadly Screen Pass

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was rewatching the niner-bears game last night and seen we held matt forte to 40 yrds rushing but we gave up over 120 yrds recieving to him on screens!!!

I would like to see gore get some screens and not just dumping the ball off to him so he can get hit as soon as the ball touches His hands.
I was rewatching the niner-bears game last night and seen we held matt forte to 40 yrds rushing but we gave up over 120 yrds recieving to him on screens!!!

I would like to see gore get some screens and not just dumping the ball off to him so he can get hit as soon as the ball touches His hands.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Well, I feel like it's the scheme. We are super-aggressive, playing downhill. We make a lot of big plays, but also are vulnerable to the screen.

I agree. Sorta.

We are vulnerable, but I think that it's needless over pursuit by our Safeties. When you have a guy like Bam Bam there shouldn't be anyone on the ball carrier but him. Safeties should be the safety valve. I've NEVER seen 52 react to the wrong side of the play. So the Safeties need to recognize this and then hang back and clean it up should Willis not wrap the guy up, which imho would shock the hell out of me if he didn't wrap up. The man is a hell of a form tackler and even if he doesn't get you on first effort? OMG you're goin down anyway cause he's got quick hands.

There should be no reason we get killed by the screen.

On one side we have 1.Manny 2. Icebox 3. TKO or Bam Bam.

On the other side we have 1. Brooks/ Harralson 2. Smith 3. TKO or Bam Bam

That's before DBs' are even involved. Our OLBs' funnel everything in and our Middle cleans house. I think the only reason that we do get burned is because the Defense is playing more to keep us in the game than anything else. That should go down this season given that our Offense should be able to put more than 1 or 2 scores on the board. FG not included.

~Ceadder

Sorry Ceadder but I gotta go with the Wubbie on this, Every defense has a weakness, and is open to certain calls PERIOD.

Conservative keep it in front of you defense is open to short passing and power running, also does poorly against the spread.

The Tamp 2 is has glaring holes along the middle seams.

Name a defense and I can tell you the weakness, if I don't know the guys on my coaching forum do!

Any 3-4 is open to power running at the edges, we compensate for that by using bigger corners like Clements who is a beast at contain and tackling RBs on the screen... this puts pressure on our safeties in deep passing.. and so and so on!

Every thing you take away on defense opens something else on offense... its called X's and O's! It is were Singletary is weakest, but getting better!

Didn't say it wasn't a weakness. I was saying that it SHOULDN'T be a weakness.

For the very reasons I stated. If you have a slow old MLB who is nearing the end of his career you get after the ball carrier (in this case the QB), but when you have Willis you let him get after the RB or FB and collapse the pocket on the QB. We got burned because there was no clear designation who stays home and who goes after the QB.

That's all I'm sayin.

~Ceadder
play more zone
Originally posted by Snider8706:

We use a "middle" screen from time to time in passing situations when Gore is pass blocking, but those are not as explosive as "edge" screens, and often seen by fans as a cop out 3rd and long play, but they a really great for slowing the pass rush next time you have 3rd and long!

Screens don't work well for us BECAUSE GORE IS A POWER RUNNER. In the power run game O-linemen are assigned specific "Holes" to create, and Gore is follows the lead block through the hole and cuts based on lead blockers movement, a disciplined defense will have their LBs read the hole and flow to it, it is up to Gore and his lead to break through this "Level" and get to the next.

Last season it seemed that opposing teams were making plays in the hole at the line because we were to predictable, no need to fly up field and expose your self to a screen when you KNOW were Gore is going!

Against our offense opposing LBs are sitting back waiting for Gore, they are also in a perfect position to defend the screen!

If Gore was more of a "Stretch" or as they call it now a "Zone" runner we would cause LBs to flow left and right, or come up field in containment lanes, this would open up the screen!

With a change of pace back, when you put a Power runner (Tom Rathmen) and a zone runner (Rodger Graig) in the backfield together you have the genius of Bill Walsh! (Catfish was also great between the tackles!)

If we put Gore and Spiller/Best or similar in the backfield together... game changer!

We use a "middle" screen from time to time in passing situations when Gore is pass blocking, but those are not as explosive as "edge" screens, and often seen by fans as a cop out 3rd and long play, but they a really great for slowing the pass rush next time you have 3rd and long!

Screens don't work well for us BECAUSE GORE IS A POWER RUNNER. In the power run game O-linemen are assigned specific "Holes" to create, and Gore is follows the lead block through the hole and cuts based on lead blockers movement, a disciplined defense will have their LBs read the hole and flow to it, it is up to Gore and his lead to break through this "Level" and get to the next.

Last season it seemed that opposing teams were making plays in the hole at the line because we were to predictable, no need to fly up field and expose your self to a screen when you KNOW were Gore is going!

Against our offense opposing LBs are sitting back waiting for Gore, they are also in a perfect position to defend the screen!

If Gore was more of a "Stretch" or as they call it now a "Zone" runner we would cause LBs to flow left and right, or come up field in containment lanes, this would open up the screen!

With a change of pace back, when you put a Power runner (Tom Rathmen) and a zone runner (Rodger Graig) in the backfield together you have the genius of Bill Walsh! (Catfish was also great between the tackles!)

If we put Gore and Spiller/Best or similar in the backfield together... game changer!

I know that MRob isn't looked at as a prototypical 250 lb FB sort, but he's got a similar style to Frank that I think this team needs to take advantage of. He needs to move over to FB, even if its for spot duty so we can get a change of pace Back who can fit well with Frank.

I don't think that MRob has to go since he is valuable on ST and spot duty though. The play calling is our big problem. And I think a lot of that was due to Smith/Tree not having a full TC with the Starters. Raye has to be confident in his unit like they have to be comfortable with him. Coaching as you know is not just about the X's and O's. It's also about the personnel you have available to you and knowing their game.I think that too much was made of Raye's play calling last season. Was it great? No. Was it disasterous? No. It was up and down. Which I expect from a new Coordinator with little experience of what he can expect from his new squad.

~Ceadder

Gore and spiller would be awesome.....i know gore is a power back and I'm not saying let's try to turn him into Reggie bush but he's capable of turning screens into big plays.

And if we don't get spiller I hope we go after Leon Washington.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Oscar:
Originally posted by JizzmasterZero:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
A little sidenote, once we draft CJ Spiller teams will have to try to figure out how to stop our screen game!

stupid,stupid,stupid! like spillers is waaaaayyyy better than gore...please. its the piss pore o lineman not blocking at the 2nd level after letting the d~line blow by. gimme a effing break..like spillers is sooooo superior to our pro bowl back..geez. b.s. like this pisses me off....cant wait til the draft is over so this nonsense stops.

Easy on the "stupid". No need to get a warning.

You should warn him, he clearly attacked me.

Thanks.
A little sidenote, once we draft CJ Spiller teams will have to try to figure out how to stop our screen game!

stupid,stupid,stupid! like spillers is waaaaayyyy better than gore...please. its the piss pore o lineman not blocking at the 2nd level after letting the d~line blow by. gimme a effing break..like spillers is sooooo superior to our pro bowl back..geez. b.s. like this pisses me off....cant wait til the draft is over so this nonsense stops.

Thanks.

No he did not. Geez. Are we gonna have to start taking sensitivity training to be members now or what?

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 4, 2010 at 11:28:40 ]
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A

Thanks.

No he did not. Geez. Are we gonna have to start taking sensitivity training to be members now or what?

~Ceadder

Please don't insult our Mods intelligence.

Thanks.

~Ceadder

i acually loled when i saw that
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

another sidenote if we dont fix our o line we will see alot more 3 and outs less time for qb and less yards for gore

Don't have to hold their blocks very long on a screen pass.

lol we have the best screen linemen in the game
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

another sidenote if we dont fix our o line we will see alot more 3 and outs less time for qb and less yards for gore

Don't have to hold their blocks very long on a screen pass.

lol we have the best screen linemen in the game

-9fA
p.haralson IMO is not very good vs. the screen and it seems OCs target his side.
Originally posted by endz0ne:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I'd like to see them try some bubble screens with Crabs. He had some big plays at Texas Tech on that route.

They did. It didn't work so well with NFL quality defenses and players....

its not like theyre gonna stop trying
Share 49ersWebzone