There are 229 users in the forums

have we given up on coffee too quickly?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by strickac:
The team hasn't given up on Coffee yet. If anything, we gave up on Sheets too soon and stuck with Robinson too long.

Robinson is a special teams captain. We didn't give up on Sheets, he just couldn't pick up blitzs and game plans.

Coffees problem could be his attitude. If he doesn't get along with people in the locker room and/or coaches he could be alienating himself and taking away from his own playing time. Remember that rumor about trading Coffee for Cromarte? There could be things going on "in house" that aren't public.
who's we? i dont think hes bad at all. i think our line and playcalling sucked bad this year and he was a ROOKIE!!! he will be ok, i still think they shouldve taken someone with a contrary style to gore because we still need that but coffee is not a bust.
i never gave up on coffee for all i know he could be the successor to frank gore at the position he is just a rookie the jury is still out on him in preseason he looked like the future in the regular season when gore went down he looked below average at best
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Let me go on record and say i am all for drafting spiller. however, have we given a fair chance to coffee to prove himself? after all he was just a rookie last year and played for the worst OL in all of football.

If we do end up drafting spiller, what do we do with coffee? do we cut him? do we cut robinson considering he is our best special teams player? i dont see us carrying 4 rb's on the roster...

thoughts?

Without reading anything past the 1st 3 responses. Yes.

We ran the ball straight up the gut. And Jimmy Raye stripped him of the opportunity to cut back and find his own lanes/holes. He had to go exactly where the play was designed or where the defense was waiting on him. How ever you want to look at it.

I would have liked to see them let him play, play. Gore too for that matter.
No, I have coffee every morning.

It's hot tea that I've given up on.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
The team hasn't given up on Coffee yet. If anything, we gave up on Sheets too soon and stuck with Robinson too long.

Robinson is a special teams captain. We didn't give up on Sheets, he just couldn't pick up blitzs and game plans.

Coffees problem could be his attitude. If he doesn't get along with people in the locker room and/or coaches he could be alienating himself and taking away from his own playing time. Remember that rumor about trading Coffee for Cromarte? There could be things going on "in house" that aren't public.

Yeah, Robinson is captain, but he's not critical on STs. At very best, he was our 3rd best ST player last season. Our LBs and DBs can be handling those duties.

Sheets had trouble picking up blitzes, but he could make plays with the ball in his hands, moreso than Robinson. You can teach people to block. You can't teach ball skills.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
No, I have coffee every morning.

It's hot tea that I've given up on.

You sir, just made me spit out the coffee I was drinking
Glad to be of service. I have a wonder cleaning establishment that I could recommend to you, but you'd have to live in Reno.
The Lowest level NFL caliber backup RB can run through a hole. Has Coffee shown you anything that would make you think he's anything more than that?

Please dont mention the Raider preseason game. M.Rob looked like Jim Brown that day. Thats how I knew that game wasn't a sign of things to come.

Yeah, Robinson is captain, but he's not critical on STs. At very best, he was our 3rd best ST player last season. Our LBs and DBs can be handling those duties.

Sheets had trouble picking up blitzes, but he could make plays with the ball in his hands, moreso than Robinson. You can teach people to block. You can't teach ball skills.

How can you say a captain is not critical? My point is that as captain he does a lot more than what shows up on the film. Plus if the price is right the Niners aren't going to replace him from that role.

And I agree with you, you can teach people to block. And thats why the team had Sheets on the Practice Squad. He could have had the chance to compete this year, especially if members of the organization are not happy with Coffee, as I mentioned earlier.

But Brown got hurt and the Dolphins needed to pick someone up. Did he have a great year there? Did he get playing time there? No....that should tell you something as well about Sheets and not just the NIners.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Coffee is who the experts thought he was. A fifth round pick
lol the guy is behind Frank Gore.... besides the fact when coffee got in the game our o line was playing like little kids out there... give the guy a chance ... it was just his rookie year
Originally posted by Dominate:
Our line wasnt playing very well. Hard to put all of that on Coffee. The guy racked up a ton of yards in college and was a work horse. I think he is fine and we dont need another back. Maybe a day 2 flyer on a shifty back but nothing more.

the problem is a day-two flyer probably won't make the team cut, that's basically what Sheets was (undrafted FA) and although he showed promise in the preseason he was retained to our practice squad until being scooped up by Miami. If we're indeed looking for a shifty change-of-pace back, grab the best one available and let the best man win a spot on the roster!

How can you say a captain is not critical? My point is that as captain he does a lot more than what shows up on the film. Plus if the price is right the Niners aren't going to replace him from that role.

And I agree with you, you can teach people to block. And thats why the team had Sheets on the Practice Squad. He could have had the chance to compete this year, especially if members of the organization are not happy with Coffee, as I mentioned earlier.

But Brown got hurt and the Dolphins needed to pick someone up. Did he have a great year there? Did he get playing time there? No....that should tell you something as well about Sheets and not just the NIners.

Well, did Robinson get much playing time and did he have a great year? No, he didn't do much of anything. He's expendable. RBs are too easy to find. There's no reason to keep this project guy around.

He's a locker room favorite, but that doesn't help you on Sundays. I wish him well, with another team.
...Coffee is pretty good on Madden
Share 49ersWebzone