There are 294 users in the forums

Niners willing to trade Aubrayo Franklin for a 1st round pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by btwagner:
I would be willing to trade him for a 2nd rounder....Then with the 2 #2's if there is a guy they have rated as a 1st rd talent that may be there in late 20's move back up into the 1st.......

A second round pick? You have to be kidding me. Who is going to start at NT this year, then? Sopoaga? Balmer?
I would be willing to trade him for a 2nd rounder....Then with the 2 #2's if there is a guy they have rated as a 1st rd talent that may be there in late 20's move back up into the 1st.......

Or you could trade him for a 1st rounder and then trade down..

-9fA
Originally posted by English:

A second round pick? You have to be kidding me. Who is going to start at NT this year, then? Sopoaga? Balmer?

This draft has several NTs who could start...They would draft his replacement....If there is one position coach who is good it is the DL coach...
It's not gonna happen. As others have stated, this year is considered by many to be the deepest class of elite defensive tackles in a long time. But hell, if somebody is willing, why not? Who knows if we can sign Franklin to a long-term deal, anyway.

Should be interesting...
Originally posted by vermonator:
It's not gonna happen. As others have stated, this year is considered by many to be the deepest class of elite defensive tackles in a long time. But hell, if somebody is willing, why not? Who knows if we can sign Franklin to a long-term deal, anyway.

Should be interesting...

This draft has several NTs who could start...They would draft his replacement....If there is one position coach who is good it is the DL coach...

But why trade him? Particularly just for a 2nd? Are we fireselling our team? Trade a proven quantity, who had a damn good season, for the chance to maybe draft a guy who may be a bust or if we are lucky in two years time may develop into a player who is nearly as good.

Um, and the justification is what?

But why trade him? Particularly just for a 2nd? Are we fireselling our team? Trade a proven quantity, who had a damn good season, for the chance to maybe draft a guy who may be a bust or if we are lucky in two years time may develop into a player who is nearly as good.

I do not consider a guy who will be 30 and has one good year in a contract year"proven"....There are always risk/rewards associated in doing any trade....
My argument is that if the team does not feel it will be able to resign Franklin or he would rather play back east somewhere and you are going to possibly lose him after his franchise year is over, why not trade him because of the NT's that are avilable in this years draft. Yes there will be a learning curve, but with one of the tiop DL coaches in the game, and players like Justin Smith to help the rookie why not....All they may be doing by not trading is delaying the inevitable as he leaves next year.
  • aiiyiiyiii
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Why would the 49ers with two first round picks look to trade Franklin away for another first-rounder who would come with a first rounder contract?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Niners have to resign Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis next season? How many Brinks trucks are the Yorks going to back up anyway?

I don't get it.

A mid-first round pick like Dan Williams would be WAY cheaper than AFranklin's $7MM salary and way cheaper than what AF will get on his new contract. So money's not the problem. But sometimes it takes even a talented rookie DL a year or so to get the hang of playing the position in the NFL.

I'd rather keep Franklin, and I think it's a smart move to use the non-exclusive tag and then leak the information that one 1st rounder might be enough. They're just letting other teams help establish the value range which will make the contract negotiations easier.

Also, count me OUT on Mount Cody:

[ Edited by aiiyiiyiii on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:25:15 ]

I do not consider a guy who will be 30 and has one good year in a contract year"proven"....There are always risk/rewards associated in doing any trade....
My argument is that if the team does not feel it will be able to resign Franklin or he would rather play back east somewhere and you are going to possibly lose him after his franchise year is over, why not trade him because of the NT's that are avilable in this years draft. Yes there will be a learning curve, but with one of the tiop DL coaches in the game, and players like Justin Smith to help the rookie why not....All they may be doing by not trading is delaying the inevitable as he leaves next year.

And the risks in drafting are massively higher. All this is pure supposition, anyway.

I can't recall any player who has been franchised then traded for a mere 2nd round pick. Anyone?

I posted stats that showed he actually got better the longer he got with us! Although you're right that he is in his (almost) 30, the guy can still play at a top level for many years, so why lose a clog in the middle for someone unproven? IF, and I say if, we can sign Franklin to a long term that doesn't hurt the club, why not use this franchise tag to see what he wants? He already stated that he want's to stay!

And furthermore, let's say he does get traded for a first rounder, would you really bank on someone unproven with all the cash that will be paid to them vs. someone who we know can do their job and do them well????

Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Why would the 49ers with two first round picks look to trade Franklin away for another first-rounder who would come with a first rounder contract?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Niners have to resign Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis next season? How many Brinks trucks are the Yorks going to back up anyway?

I don't get it.

A mid-first round pick like Dan Williams would be WAY cheaper than AFranklin's $7MM salary and way cheaper than what AF will get on his new contract. So money's not the problem. But sometimes it takes even a talented rookie DL a year or so to get the hang of playing the position in the NFL.

I'd rather keep Franklin, and I think it's a smart move to use the non-exclusive tag and then leak the information that one 1st rounder might be enough. They're just letting other teams help establish the value range which will make the contract negotiations easier.

Also, count me OUT on Mount Cody:

Boobies! Not the best advert for the Atkins diet!

And the risks in drafting are massively higher. All this is pure supposition, anyway.

I can't recall any player who has been franchised then traded for a mere 2nd round pick. Anyone?

of course I would try to get a 1st...but if the team feels like he will not be able to be resigned and you can get a 2nd for him why not...Is it better to pay 7 million for a player then watch him walk with nothing in return? Or do you get compensation and utilize that money for players like willis/davis who should be in line for extensions. I would imagine a GM would be confident in his scouts' ability to draft the right guy. Doesnt always happen that way but I imagine they have a little confidence/arrogance about their abilities.

Well Matt Cassel was franchised and traded for a 2nd round pick and Mike Vrabel...
Originally posted by kidash:

I posted stats that showed he actually got better the longer he got with us! Although you're right that he is in his (almost) 30, the guy can still play at a top level for many years, so why lose a clog in the middle for someone unproven? IF, and I say if, we can sign Franklin to a long term that doesn't hurt the club, why not use this franchise tag to see what he wants? He already stated that he want's to stay!

And furthermore, let's say he does get traded for a first rounder, would you really bank on someone unproven with all the cash that will be paid to them vs. someone who we know can do their job and do them well????

Last I read he wanted to test the open market, maybe that has changed because that was late in the season. I am only saying that if his demands are too much and/or they cant structure the deal good enough for the team then trade him. I am not talking about trading him just to trade him. Going off the fact that he is from back east and had said previously he wanted to test the market...
Originally posted by kidash:

Not to mention, that he doesnt have a lot of wear and tear. He has only been a starter since he came to SF.
Share 49ersWebzone