LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 308 users in the forums

Josh Morgan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Morgan was a little dissappointing in 2009. Maybe Brandon Jones takes over that spot as the #2 in 2010 and beyond since we are paying him the big bucks to do so. I wouldn't even mind seeing more of Jason Hill since he seems to make those "clutch" catches and our third down WR (Battle) is likely going somewhere else...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) He's never been fast.
2) He's always been overrated.
3) He sucks.

He had a few good preseason games against lack of top competition. I never understood all the Morgan hype on this site.

We have one legit WR. That is Crabtree. And we have a great TE. But we need a #2 WR and Morgan is not it. I'd rather see Jason Hill or draft another WR somewhere who you feel can be your #1 or #2. We don't have 2 elite guys right now.

Jason Hill makes Morgan look like dogs**t when he gets his chances.
I think Morgan was the most negatively effected by the lack of offensive identity with the exception of Gore. I mean he opened the season as the starter alongside Bruce in the Shaun Hill "lateral stretch" offense where Morgan was primarily used as a blocking "Z". And actually through 4 games Morgan was on pace for an 800 yard season which wouldn't have been too shabby.

Then we switched to Alex and a more vertical stretch attack, but Crabtree comes in and is given Morgan's slot. To Morgan's credit he took the demotion like a man and helped Crabtree cram during the bye week. Then after four games on the bench Bruce took a back seat and Morgan was back at "X" where he played some as a rookie.

If Jason Hill can stay out of the tub and survive camp with out a pulled hammy or groin, which I don't think he's ever done, maybe he'll challenge for a starting job. But I think Morgan will benefit in a big way from a defined role and a full camp with Smith as QB and at this point I'm still expecting him to be starting opposite Crabtree in 2010.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Feb 14, 2010 at 19:50:43 ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I prefer Hill. He's a more natural pass catcher for sure and looks like he runs better routes.

Morgan is a good possesion receiver though. He uses his body well to sheild defenders but unfortunately he sometimes uses his body too much to make catches.
It goes back to the "smash mouth offense" Sing started the season with. Morgan is starting because he the best blocking WR on the team and one of the top in the league. He was lining up right on the end of the line to help block. Hill is better but cant get healthy. I wouldnt care if they cut Jones. He sucks. If Hill stays healthy hes a good fit for 2 and Morgan in the slot is a good fit with his size.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Morgan wouldn't be a starter on most playoff teams. Either he needs to improve a lot, or we need to upgrade the WR position. After Crabtree we have nothing really, I think the WR corp on this team is very overrated
I'm still on the, "i hope zeigler gets a chance this year" bandwagon.
With Morgan and Crabs we have two willing blockers starting at WR. Morgan's ceiling has always been a strong #2. He can still do that. Give him another season in a consistent offensive scheme and let's see. It usually takes WRs 3 years to develop anyway, so we should definitely give him his 3rd. Saying we should start Hill because Morgan hasn't done anything is ludicrous.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
With Morgan and Crabs we have two willing blockers starting at WR. Morgan's ceiling has always been a strong #2. He can still do that. Give him another season in a consistent offensive scheme and let's see. It usually takes WRs 3 years to develop anyway, so we should definitely give him his 3rd. Saying we should start Hill because Morgan hasn't done anything is ludicrous.

I don't think hill has what it takes, to be anything more than a #3.
He was disappointing b/c everybody over hyped him for no reason at all. Samething for Hill and Jones. They are all average to barely average NFL WR's.

I think Morgan will be a great number two receiver in time. He's shown some glimpses, just needs to have more consistency. Ugh, that word again...

[ Edited by vermonator on Feb 14, 2010 at 11:10:02 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

I don't think hill has what it takes, to be anything more than a #3.

Jason Hill is more like a #4. Give me Crabtree, Morgan, *Insert Veteran WR name here that's not Brandon Jones* and Hill
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Ether:
1) He's never been fast.
2) He's always been overrated.
3) He sucks.

He had a few good preseason games against lack of top competition. I never understood all the Morgan hype on this site.

We have one legit WR. That is Crabtree. And we have a great TE. But we need a #2 WR and Morgan is not it. I'd rather see Jason Hill or draft another WR somewhere who you feel can be your #1 or #2. We don't have 2 elite guys right now.

Im pretty sure he ran a 4.41 at the Combine coming into the league. That's pretty fast, no matter how you look at it.

He's always been slow. When did he ever run that?

Jason Hill runs 4.32.

Jason Hill plays like a WR should... Morgan just doesnt look natural, he catches with his body and it annoys me.

and he doesn't run like a NFL WR should run.
  • ZRF80
Morgan is a number 3 at best. We need a good number 2 to compliment Crabs. I wouldnt mind bringing back TO or trading for Brandon Marshall.

The time to win is NOW !
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Morgan is a number 3 at best. We need a good number 2 to compliment Crabs. I wouldnt mind bringing back TO or trading for Brandon Marshall.

The time to win is NOW !

Share 49ersWebzone