There are 146 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Why should we assume that Eddie holds greater influence on Jed then his own Father (John York)?

Consult does not equal "greater influence". Nowhere do I make the logical leap that just because Jed is talking to uncle Eddie means that John doesn't have "greater influence". Obviously there is significant influence as per media sources and given Eddie was included in the first set of 49er HOF inductees, which shocked many at the time it was released. I'm not arguing that John is less, rather someone who's been successful with the squad is advising. That's better than Johns voice alone I would say.
I find it laughable that some people are saying we don't like him because he's Indian. What f*cking difference does it make where he's from? As long as we see results on the field, he could be a member of Taliban for all I care. The animosity towards him and the organization is he fits the "over his head" bill of pretty much everyone in the 49ers front office. The 49ers sorely lack an experienced football executive in the front office. Unfortunately the Yorks still haven't figured that out in 11 years. They rather hire and promote business guys rather than guys who can make this franchise a contender. I guess making money matters more than winning.

I also find it funny how some people say he's an expert on the salary cap. The NFL cap has gone up so high that a 4 year old could manage it. Pretty much everyone in the league is under the cap.
  • 190836
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,283
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"He only deals with the business side"

"Only racists dislike him"


LOL

Im a racist I hate Indians they smell like curry.

What do you smell like?
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"He only deals with the business side"

"Only racists dislike him"


LOL

Im a racist I hate Indians they smell like curry.

What do you smell like?

like slurpees
Ralph Barberi hates him
  • 190836
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,283
Yorks are losers, does it matter who they promote to VP of biz/football operation?
Originally posted by 190836:
Yorks are losers, does it matter who they promote to VP of biz/football operation?

Says the guy with 2,255 posts on a fan forum.
uh oh ralph barbieri is gonna be pissed...
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Honestly, I think people don't like him because he's Indian (IIRC). People just don't think that an Indian should be running an American sports team, for whatever reason.

If he were running a cricket team, this would be no issue...
  • 190836
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,283
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by 190836:
Yorks are losers, does it matter who they promote to VP of biz/football operation?

Says the guy with 2,255 posts on a fan forum.

Thats right says the guy with 2256 posts, and don't you forget it.Meanwhile keep reading my posts, you might learn something.

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"He only deals with the business side"

"Only racists dislike him"


LOL

Im a racist I hate Indians they smell like curry.

What do you smell like?

like slurpees

Curry flavored slurpees................................ yum
Its ridiculous to think people have a problem with this guy because of race.

What people tend to forget is that Donahue actually hired Marathe. And as the niners were busy having some of their most awful and embarrassing seasons, this guy was steady moving up the food chain, and gaining more power within the org.

He and Donahue were big fans of Billy Beane's "money ball" system. Marathe was creating a "tick" system to evaluate draft eligible players. They thought they might be able to create a type of program to plug info into and find guys in the draft that would fit. Think about it. At one time this is how the 49ers were running the draft. Marathe also wrote a manual on how to hire a new head coach. Hence Mike Nolan. Yeesh. Its this path of moves that made people wonder where the hell he came from and why he's moved up so quick.

The guy seems to be running our cap well. Hopefully he sticks to that and only that in the future. I still don't understand how he's the most qualified guy in our org to be in the replay booth, but oh well.
Quote:
The industrious Marathe won the admiration of York, a licensed pathologist who admittedly relied heavily on his business background (running laboratories and race tracks) to steer his ownership of the 49ers.

"John is a scientist," a source close to York said on the condition of anonymity. "He loves proofs and statistical models."

In his projects, Marathe created graphs and charts that impressed York. After working with the 49ers for 18 months, Marathe befriended Jed York, John's eldest son. Seemingly, as the 23-year-old Jed became more visible at the 49ers' headquarters, eventually joining high-level meetings, so did Marathe.

Marathe's ascension coincided with the departure of Walsh and director of football operations John McVay, which could have been more than a coincidence. Privately, neither liked the statistical approach Donahue espoused. Marathe and his computer shot down Walsh and McVay's trade proposals during the 2003 draft. This didn't sit well with either man, who had built the 49ers' success partly on their impulses.

this makes me soooo sad every time I come across it....poor Bill Walsh, he must've felt betrayed.

Quote:

Marathe was asked by York to lead the head-coaching research, and his profile skyrocketed.

Marathe studied 120 coaches to determine where the most successful NFL coaches come from, and what makes them excel once they have the job. Along with other factors, Marathe discovered that coaches who were with successful teams and worked with winning coaches made the best future coach.

The 49ers' short list of candidates was determined partly by Marathe's criteria. The interview process included a meal with John and Jed York, and then a sit-down with John York, Marathe and Tumey. York ultimately determined the next man to lead the 49ers.

that next man named Mike Nolan
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM ]
Okay, maybe I misread something, but to me it looks like that the promotion part is that Paraag Marathe went from being the "vice president of football operations" to being the "executive vice president of football and business operations".

If I understand the blog post from Matt Maiocco correctly, it means that Marathe now has some say on the business side of the operation as well in addition to his duties as salary cap specialist and in the replay booth.

Well, if you ask me, it looks as nothing changed on the football side, because it looks as if he does not have any new football responsibilities and still reports to GM Scott McCloughan.

But he seems to have some new business responsibilities now, which I think is fine, I mean he is a business grad, after all and I think he did a fine job in our recent contract negotiations.

So I donĀ“t really get what the fuss is all about, he got a promotion (good for him), is more involved in the business side of the Niners, which I think is fine and did not get any extra football responsibilities, which could have been a concern.

If he is now so busy with all that business stuff that we get additional guys in the coachesĀ“ booth for replay challenges, well, extra bonus!
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Quote:
The industrious Marathe won the admiration of York, a licensed pathologist who admittedly relied heavily on his business background (running laboratories and race tracks) to steer his ownership of the 49ers.

"John is a scientist," a source close to York said on the condition of anonymity. "He loves proofs and statistical models."

In his projects, Marathe created graphs and charts that impressed York. After working with the 49ers for 18 months, Marathe befriended Jed York, John's eldest son. Seemingly, as the 23-year-old Jed became more visible at the 49ers' headquarters, eventually joining high-level meetings, so did Marathe.

Marathe's ascension coincided with the departure of Walsh and director of football operations John McVay, which could have been more than a coincidence. Privately, neither liked the statistical approach Donahue espoused. Marathe and his computer shot down Walsh and McVay's trade proposals during the 2003 draft. This didn't sit well with either man, who had built the 49ers' success partly on their impulses.

this makes me soooo sad every time I come across it....poor Bill Walsh, he must've felt betrayed.

Quote:

Marathe was asked by York to lead the head-coaching research, and his profile skyrocketed.

Marathe studied 120 coaches to determine where the most successful NFL coaches come from, and what makes them excel once they have the job. Along with other factors, Marathe discovered that coaches who were with successful teams and worked with winning coaches made the best future coach.

The 49ers' short list of candidates was determined partly by Marathe's criteria. The interview process included a meal with John and Jed York, and then a sit-down with John York, Marathe and Tumey. York ultimately determined the next man to lead the 49ers.

that next man named Mike Nolan

2003: Erickson is H.C. -- 9er brass got rid of T.O. (in his prime even though he is a headache I admit) and Garcia after the season

Nolan: Still a highly sought after D Coordinator that got a shot at H.C. with the Niners and didn't work out...heck we're starting to see some silver lining out of Nolan's draft picks

Yeah i guess we'll just blame it all on Paraag...

Share 49ersWebzone