LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Why the Stadium is NOT being built in SF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The stadium should be in SF, it'll be wrong if it's anywhere other than the city and even worse, LA. Santa Clara works for me since I live in SJ but I wouldn't mind driving an extra 30 min. up north for 49ers pride.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
The stadium should be in SF, it'll be wrong if it's anywhere other than the city and even worse, LA. Santa Clara works for me since I live in SJ but I wouldn't mind driving an extra 30 min. up north for 49ers pride.

I am now firmly convinced they will NEVER get a stadium up there. It's been what like 13 years or something? Although most WZers don't want to admit it and won't admit it you are nowhere after 13 years. No final location is picked out yet. And no firm financing for the project is established. It's been almost a decade and a half and there is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

That is a really bad sign. Something is seriously wrong with the Yorks or something is seriously wrong with San Francisco or a combination of the 2. But I totally believe it will never happen.

49ers pride? the only thing they do in SF is play the games.

everything else, the HQ, camps, even where most the players live, is in the south bay.

the actual city of SF really doesnt mean all that much to the 49ers. most their fanbase is in the south bay anyways.
Originally posted by Niners99:

49ers pride? the only thing they do in SF is play the games.

everything else, the HQ, camps, even where most the players live, is in the south bay.

the actual city of SF really doesnt mean all that much to the 49ers. most their fanbase is in the south bay anyways.

That's true. As long as we do not move out of the bay area, I'm fine. LA 49ers ?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
The Santa Clara deal won't fall through either (seeing that the new stadium's parking limitations will prevent them from airing a primetime game there = NFL revenue killer/zero backing from Goodell for economic support).

So the only option at this point would be to plan a complete renovation of the stick (which would be a so/so but okay plan), and it'd be worth it if (god forbid) we'd have to share a stadium with the Raiders for a year (in the process).

Hunter's Point is a toxic dump, and Great America is a hot ground for lawsuits and angry Santa clara locals (mainly made up of angry old 'community-nazis'). -Renovation is the only real solution, and we'd probably get more than enough money/clearance from the Mayor/NFL to do it.

You are renovationg a dump. That stadium is old junk. Time to start over. Just knock it down and start over with a new one. Maybe play the games for 2 years at Stanford stadium or something.

i expect SoCal to build a new stadium before anything gets built in the Bay Area, just 'cos they're slightly less left-wing (well LA @ least, i know OC & SD are more 'conservative' politically). if i'm not mistaken, LA is close to building one in one of their sprawling suburbs (it helps that some rich investor is pretty much footing the bill). the chargers might be enticed to move there, or hopefully al davis takes his sorry franchise back south and they'll be no more jinx on Bay Area sports (raider jinx started in 1995), plus there won't be the risk of the Niners having to share a new stadium with the faiders.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I will say first that I am from Vancouver and live in Toronto so I ahve no idea about the day to day climate and political issues in SF. So as far as taxes and public money to pay for it that is one issue I can't get into.

As far as the location, why can't they play somewhere else (Stanford? At&T Park?) for two or 3 years and blow up Candlestick and build a new stadium right in the same spot?

I am sure there is a good reason but I have never really heard why it has to be Santa Clara or Hunters Point or whatever.

Can someone local let me know?

The real reason is because the rates for work comp and contractors insurance are nearly double in San Francisco than they are in Santa Clara. I know this because I use to sell insurance. Worse job I ever had.
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
The Santa Clara deal won't fall through either (seeing that the new stadium's parking limitations will prevent them from airing a primetime game there = NFL revenue killer/zero backing from Goodell for economic support).

So the only option at this point would be to plan a complete renovation of the stick (which would be a so/so but okay plan), and it'd be worth it if (god forbid) we'd have to share a stadium with the Raiders for a year (in the process).

Hunter's Point is a toxic dump, and Great America is a hot ground for lawsuits and angry Santa clara locals (mainly made up of angry old 'community-nazis'). -Renovation is the only real solution, and we'd probably get more than enough money/clearance from the Mayor/NFL to do it.

You are renovationg a dump. That stadium is old junk. Time to start over. Just knock it down and start over with a new one. Maybe play the games for 2 years at Stanford stadium or something.

i expect SoCal to build a new stadium before anything gets built in the Bay Area, just 'cos they're slightly less left-wing (well LA @ least, i know OC & SD are more 'conservative' politically). if i'm not mistaken, LA is close to building one in one of their sprawling suburbs (it helps that some rich investor is pretty much footing the bill). the chargers might be enticed to move there, or hopefully al davis takes his sorry franchise back south and they'll be no more jinx on Bay Area sports (raider jinx started in 1995), plus there won't be the risk of the Niners having to share a new stadium with the faiders.

The stadium in LA will be built in the City of Industry, south east of downtown LA which is a far cry from suburbia. Lots of homeless and gang activity.
I can't stand the thought of a SC stadium. Not because of it being in south bay but because of no MNF! Once I heard that the deal was off for me. Whats the point in building a nearly 1 billion dollar stadium if you can't host certain prime time games.

At hunters point there's several flaws. It would be an absolutly HUGE public works project. Just making it accessable is an insane task. Getting around the enviromental impact would also be a challange. But I must admit if somehow SF and the 9ers were able to pull it off we could have the most impressive waterfront venue in the country.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:

The stadium in LA will be built in the City of Industry, south east of downtown LA which is a far cry from suburbia. Lots of homeless and gang activity.

PERFECT for the raiders, then!

PS,
pardon if i perceive LA & its environs as one big gagglef*ck of suburbs! it guess it was once, long ago in the 50's when all those port-war planned communities were incorporated and before it went to sh*t. a common NorCal perception i suppose...
[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on Jan 26, 2010 at 2:41 AM ]
the 49ers arent going to LA. were too stored of a franchise, with too strong a fanbase. we also are up and coming, and actually care if our team stays or goes.

Jacksonville's fans have literally checked out. they dont give a crap about the team. Jax is a much smaller market with the NFL's smallest fanbase, and they dont give a crap? sounds moveable to me.

i just cant see Goodell allowing a franchise like the 49ers to move to LA, even if we wanted to. the NFL makes ALOT of money off the "San Francisco 49ers" name. its one of the 10 most legendary teams in the sports history.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:03 AM ]

The Bay Bridge was damaged in the Loma Prieta earthquake just over 20 years ago in 1989 and it took over 13 years just to decide on the design. The new bridge will be completed sometime in 2013 @ the cost of $2-3 Billion. That should give the 49ers a very good idea of how things get done in SF....oh, re. environmentalists...the irony of the Candlestick Park/Hunters Point area is that its a "Super Fund" site.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A

Take it easy on the Stick man. I guarantee within two years of it being gone you'll miss it. It's not like it's just gonna go to a farm and run around with a bunch of other stadiums and be happy. It'd be gone forever. The last remnant of our glory years would be gone.

There's so much history there, I'd be more than happy to see a renovation done and keep the site. We had all of our success at this stadium, why are you so quick to get rid of it?

If they fixed the parking situation and made it more modern, I'd see no reason to move. I'd rather have a stadium with character than one that takes me 35 less minutes to get out of.
i blame the gheys
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i blame the gheys

Hey! Gheys live in Santa Clara too and still love football. Uh, but I'm not one, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Originally posted by 4089er:
The Bay Bridge was damaged in the Loma Prieta earthquake just over 20 years ago in 1989 and it took over 13 years just to decide on the design. The new bridge will be completed sometime in 2013 @ the cost of $2-3 Billion. That should give the 49ers a very good idea of how things get done in SF....oh, re. environmentalists...the irony of the Candlestick Park/Hunters Point area is that its a "Super Fund" site.

California in general has a hard time getting anything done, San Francisco is it's microcosm. Too much in-fighting and corrupt politicians with corporate big wigs carrying them in their pockets. Second only to LA in their incompetence.
Share 49ersWebzone