There are 181 users in the forums

Is anyone happy we didn't have a losing season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We're not where we want to be, but nor are we where we used to be. For that, I am happy. It's progress, and progress is always better than decline or stagnation.
Nah I feel like exact same at finishing 7-9 because we are still not in the post-season
We will always be mediocre until we get some real coaches who can develop players quicker than the 5 year plan. In 5 years, a player can learn what he needs to do without coaching.

Players that have come to this team who are not Blue Chips don't develop at the normal pace a similar player on other teams do. Quite honestly, it seems as though some of the assistants are here to pick up a paycheck.

What's even worse is that our head coach wouldn't know the difference as he doesn't seem very knowledgeable in terms of what is required from each position except for the Linebacker position.

Until we get better player development or if we get uber talented players, we will be mediocre.
@ all the armchair GM's that think they know more than the "clueless coach". Tell ya what, why don't you guys apply for their jobs, I mean if the Yorks are really as cheap as some of you claim, wouldn't they hire you guys just to save cash? Sometimes you guys crack me up.
8-8 is not winning, and if you not winning your losing! So.....yeah... thats about it then...it was a losing season in my mind.
  • aiiyiiyiii
  • Info N/A
8-8 is a GIANT step forward.. we are now poised on the THRESHOLD, and just think, NEXT YEAR we'll be ready to take the next step:

9-7!

Who0ooooooooo-ee!!!!!

Also I find it PATHETIC that there's excitement over the possible retirement of Kurt Warner. Sure, it would weaken the Cardinals, but come on.. we owned those birds WITH Warner.. I kinda liked seeing PWillie knock the crap outa him, and I liked seeing the 49ers beat a former super bowl team at full strength.

The real contenders don't worry about tearing down their opponents, but instead concentrate on building up their own team. Some organizations are able to turn it around in only a couple years. Too bad the 49ers are no longer one of them. Maybe by 2015, or 2020, Singletary will have "finished the job" Nolan started, as long as we keep "heading in the right direction"

[ Edited by aiiyiiyiii on Jan 20, 2010 at 16:49:53 ]
anything short of the playoffs is a lost season!
our record has been playing handball against the curb for so I wouldn't know a winning season if it landed on my lap.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
No playoffs = who cares about the record.

Sorry, but I have high standards.

In 1991, the Niners went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
We didn't have a winning season AND failed to make the playoffs. It's sad that this franchise has been run so badly into the ground by the Yorks that some fans now look at 8-8 and no playoffs as a good thing.

this way of thinking is what irritates me. we have been losing horribly since 2002, yes, i know that. a team as great as the niners shouldn't ever lose like that because they and their fans demand more, right? but the fact of the matter is the team has been losing. is it the yorks fault? yeah, much of the blame can be placed on them. but improvements have been made and even though 8-8 is not 13-3 the niners are headed in the right direction. i mean, damn, what if they were 5-11 this year? think of how s**tty you would see things then.

The Yorks took control of the Niners in 1999 (they were given permanent control as part of a settlement with Eddie in 2000).

Since the Yorks took over in 1999 this team has qualified for the playoffs twice(2001-2002). Both of those playoff births were courtesy of Bill Walsh finding a qb (Garcia). The Yorks pushed Walsh out the door. Now it's been 7 straight losing seasons. We get lots of hype and promises that late season wins will carry over to the following season but they never do.

"Headed in the right direction" is a phrase repeated often by coaches of teams that lose more then they win.

The Niners showed without a doubt that they didn't belong on the same field as the playoff teams. We couldn't even beat a pathetic Seahawks team! The Eagles then dominated the Niners in an embarrassing game on national TV. This team was flat and unprepared all too often. Perhaps you missed Singletary using all three timeouts only a few minutes into our game against the mighty seahawks?

The Niners might very well have finished 5-11 if we didn't get to play the Rams twice and also a gimme against the Lions.

The Niners are not headed in the right direction. The offense is one of the worst in the league. We still don't have a qb. The worst thing is that we don't have a HC that has a freakin clue on how to fix this mess.

What we do have is a WEAK div and the possible retirement of Warner. Should Warner retire the Niners could very well win this crappy div simply by sucking slightly less then our div opponents. Then immediately get destroyed in the playoffs when we face non-division teams.

The best thing for this team would be for the Yorks to sell the team to an owner that values winning.

Weak division?

How many Super Bowls has the West taken part in since '99?

If that's weak then I'm dying to see your version of strong. That Division would ROCK!

~Ceadder

I wouldn't think that factor would be dismissed with this sort of argument, but within the context that this division hasn't really been a powerhouse with more than 1 team in the playoffs within a 'single' year (representing the NFC West) since the earliest part of the decade (when the Rams/Hawks/49ers were all post-season challengers).

I'm not really complaining, for I could care less about this stuff, but a lot of people would like to see this team win in a competitively 'challenging' division (for respect points) as if we were winning the division in an 'NFC East' pseudonym of adversity.

-Pro-quo, that every game mattered cause if you were to lose a single one your division opponent would be competitively talented enough to capitalize upon it, and knock you out of contention.

Super Bowl is everything in this argument.

Rams 2
Cards 1
Seahawks 2.

That's 5. No other division in the NFC can even boast sending 5 teams to the big dance 5 times in the last decade.

The East is the closest to our division. I could care less about Playoff attendees.

I'm not saying we have the toughest division. Just that we are not as weak as people seem to think. No matter the season record everyone starts out 0-0 come Post Season.

~Ceadder

• BobS
  • Veteran
Playing in the weakest division in the NFL and coming off 7-9, 8-8 is basically flat lining. The Yorks have lowered the bar so low, people are getting excited about 8-8?
Give me a break!
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
We didn't have a winning season AND failed to make the playoffs. It's sad that this franchise has been run so badly into the ground by the Yorks that some fans now look at 8-8 and no playoffs as a good thing.

this way of thinking is what irritates me. we have been losing horribly since 2002, yes, i know that. a team as great as the niners shouldn't ever lose like that because they and their fans demand more, right? but the fact of the matter is the team has been losing. is it the yorks fault? yeah, much of the blame can be placed on them. but improvements have been made and even though 8-8 is not 13-3 the niners are headed in the right direction. i mean, damn, what if they were 5-11 this year? think of how s**tty you would see things then.

The Yorks took control of the Niners in 1999 (they were given permanent control as part of a settlement with Eddie in 2000).

Since the Yorks took over in 1999 this team has qualified for the playoffs twice(2001-2002). Both of those playoff births were courtesy of Bill Walsh finding a qb (Garcia). The Yorks pushed Walsh out the door. Now it's been 7 straight losing seasons. We get lots of hype and promises that late season wins will carry over to the following season but they never do.

"Headed in the right direction" is a phrase repeated often by coaches of teams that lose more then they win.

The Niners showed without a doubt that they didn't belong on the same field as the playoff teams. We couldn't even beat a pathetic Seahawks team! The Eagles then dominated the Niners in an embarrassing game on national TV. This team was flat and unprepared all too often. Perhaps you missed Singletary using all three timeouts only a few minutes into our game against the mighty seahawks?

The Niners might very well have finished 5-11 if we didn't get to play the Rams twice and also a gimme against the Lions.

The Niners are not headed in the right direction. The offense is one of the worst in the league. We still don't have a qb. The worst thing is that we don't have a HC that has a freakin clue on how to fix this mess.

What we do have is a WEAK div and the possible retirement of Warner. Should Warner retire the Niners could very well win this crappy div simply by sucking slightly less then our div opponents. Then immediately get destroyed in the playoffs when we face non-division teams.

The best thing for this team would be for the Yorks to sell the team to an owner that values winning.

Weak division?

How many Super Bowls has the West taken part in since '99?

If that's weak then I'm dying to see your version of strong. That Division would ROCK!

~Ceadder

Last year Arizona was one play away from winning the super bowl. So the NFL West is not the greatest division but it does have some talent. One of those talented teams is the Niners. We missed beating Minnesota, and Indiannapolis but one play each. We played several teams tough enough that we should have won. That, to me, is a whole lot better than being blown out 14 out of 16 games. That tells me that we are growing as a team.

To my mind the Yorks have dealt with the team as well as they could. They are not football people. They tried to pick the best that they could including Bill Walsh who hired Donohue. Donohue turned the team upside down with bad management, and abysmal drafts. I think Nolan, Mc, and now Singletary are moving the team back to respectability. We are now competitive. Opposing teams at least now have to scheme to beat us and then have to play well to beat us. Singletary has the team focused, and in good shape. He has also addressed the concept of continuity, the next great hurdle in our development. Now Smith has been settled on, he now had a OC that will be with him for the second season. He has some people to throw to. He has a running game, but a poor line. We know that Oline, Pass rush, Pass Coverage, and Speed are the greatest weaknesses of our team. All of these can be addressed in the offseason. I see 9-7 or 10-6 for next season all depending on how well we address our offseason issues.

I see hope and growth in our team.

I'm gonna ride the Offseason Pine and wait to see what McCloughan has in his bag of tricks.

I mean I like our potential to do something next season but, well after the Marvel Smith pickup/retirement and the cutting of Rossum, I'm holding back til I see what Scott next great GM move will be.

~Ceadder
I love losing seasons. Then I don't have to wait long to see us draft in the first round. LOL.

J/K
Originally posted by BobS:
Playing in the weakest division in the NFL and coming off 7-9, 8-8 is basically flat lining. The Yorks have lowered the bar so low, people are getting excited about 8-8?
Give me a break!

Niners bottomed out in 04-05. So from there to 8-8 is a move forward. If this season was a springboard to seriously contending next year then I am pretty satisfied. If the Niners fall then it will be a big mirage. I really be able to better assess this season when I see how they do next. Is it the 8-8 of a contender or a pretender. Personally, I'm hopeful. Need to improve the O Line with those picks in the first round of the draft.

[ Edited by BHulman on Jan 20, 2010 at 20:43:24 ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
anything short of the playoffs is a lost season!
Share 49ersWebzone