There are 230 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Joe Montana threw touchdowns to pull ahead of important games tom brady got his team close enough for the field goal in important games.look it up the real hero in the partiots game is their kicker i think his name is adam vinitary or is that a colt anyway look it up in playoff games or superbowl who was the last player to touch the ball for there team when the last score to go ahead for the lead was made quarterback or kicker...anyway i wrote this and prob. did not really say what i meant to but im kinda fumming right now cause my cousin is a patriot fan born and raised in boston (he's married into the family)love him and all but man he gets me with this debate and i used the above on him and he did not know what to say hes prob at home right now looking it up
Originally posted by pagodagold:
Joe Montana threw touchdowns to pull ahead of important games tom brady got his team close enough for the field goal in important games.look it up the real hero in the partiots game is their kicker i think his name is adam vinitary or is that a colt anyway look it up in playoff games or superbowl who was the last player to touch the ball for there team when the last score to go ahead for the lead was made quarterback or kicker...anyway i wrote this and prob. did not really say what i meant to but im kinda fumming right now cause my cousin is a patriot fan born and raised in boston (he's married into the family)love him and all but man he gets me with this debate and i used the above on him and he did not know what to say hes prob at home right now looking it up

I remember when Vinatieri drove them down the field and got them into position to win the game. That was great.
Originally posted by Thisguy:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Joe was 4-0 on the biggest stage in football with 11 TD's ZERO Interceptions and a 127.8 QB Rating while completing almost 70% of his passes.

End thread

Joe had 4 first-round exits in the postseason with 2 TDs and FIVE interceptions and QB ratings (AKA the dumbest stat of all time) of 65.6, 32.4, 42.0 and 102.8 while completing only 56% of his passes.

Before the last-minute drive that culminated in "The Catch" he threw 3 INTs that game.

Look, I can cherry-pick too!

That doesn't take away from what he did on the BIGGEST STAGE IN FOOTBALL.

Plenty of people have gone to the playoffs, plenty of people have played in the NFC/AFC Championships games and select few (compared to all the QB's that have taken a snap in the NFL) have played in the Super Bowl and NONE OF THEM had the success that Joe had.

End thread
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:

I remember when Vinatieri drove them down the field and got them into position to win the game. That was great.

I've never seen a guy with such poise in the pocket than he had at that very moment.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Brady drove his team down 30 yards to set up 40 yard field goals that had to be made by a kicker to win those games. When Brady needed a TD to win the SB he couldn't get it done against the Giants (though he did throw some nice bombs to Randy Moss in a vain effort to set up the game tying field goal). Brady lacks the iconic type plays that made Joe a legend. The "Catch" is probably the signature play in the NFL. Going 92 yards in 4 minutes to win the SB ... Outplaying Marino and Elway in the SB ... winning two SBs after breaking his back with a future HOF QB clamoring in the media for playing time ... The highlights just solidify his status as the GOAT. Sorry, but watching highlights of Brady completing 6 yard check downs to Kevin Faulk to get Vinatieri in position to kick field goals just doesn't compare.
Brady is great but Montana is Greatest. That's the difference.
"Joe Cool"

Whats Tom Brady's Nickname?
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
"Joe Cool"

Tommy Handsome
Originally posted by valrod33:
"Joe Cool"

Tommy Handsome

lol More like Tommy "I got the HOTTEST wife in the world" Brady.
Originally posted by valrod33:
"Joe Cool"

Tommy Handsome

The definition of a misnomer!

Originally posted by Giggiddy:
Joe Montana has never lost a superbowl.

End of conversation.

This is obviously Joe Cool's biggest calling card: playing his best when it really counted.

Just for debate: how would you feel if a QB went 5-2 in the SB? Not undefeated, but has one more trophy.
Lots of interesting statistics posted by various people. None of them trump the only one that really matters: wins
Originally posted by Bob_Lewis_1980:
Lots of interesting statistics posted by various people. None of them trump the only one that really matters: wins

Yup!

4 SB Wins!

NO INTs in 4 SBs!

3-Time SB MVP!
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I'd take the time to respond my thougths, but Joe played football when it was football, none of these new rules. But im not dissing Brady but every time I think of Patriot and superbowl, i cant help but think that they might of cheated.
So all in all, Joe is safe and shouldnt be compaired too any more by Mr. Brady.
What do you think?
[ Edited by Constantine on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:40 AM ]
Thing is this...Everyone seems to say J Montana is the Best QB ever cause he won 4 SBs...Well so did T Bradshaw so does that mean they're tied? I mean hinestly I remember watching terry play and I dont think he's any better than say D Marino...who has ZERO SBs.

Now lets take a look at J Montana's 4 SB wins. If D Clark doesnt make the catch in the championship game Does Montana win his 1st SB that year? Probably not. Does he win a championship if the Niners D doesnt intercept D White late in the game? Alot of people seem to forget the Cowboys after the catch were moving right down the field and it took the Niners Defense intercepting the ball to end the game.
Now in SB 16 do the Niners win if their defense didnt stop the bengals on a 1st and goal at the 1? We wont know but what we know is the defense was just as important that year in winning it all as Montana was.
Next Superbowl against the bengals what happens if J Taylor doesnt catch that final seconds TD from Montana?

What Im getting at is this is a team sport...But everyone seems to think cause Montana has the 4 SB rings he's the Best...Well bradshaw got his 4 SB rings NOT because of him but because of his defense and his 2 WR L Swann & J Stallworth. And they too were given a gift when J Smith for the Cowboys had a potential GW TD and he drops the ball.

Anyway getting back to this SB ring controversy if Brady does get 2 more SB rings somehow not sure that will happen but he'll have the most rings then. So by your own admissions (49er fans) he has the most SB rings so he's got to be the best.

I know this is a debate on whos the better QB and I think about this when Montana won his 1st SB he didnt have a great Offense...Not much of a running game good WRs but they were NOT J Rice and J Taylor...so that was a Huge part that He won without much of a supporting cast...where T Brady has always had an outstanding cast to help him win the SB.

But I will say this T Brady as a QB was definately the BEST 6th round draft pick QB that I can remember. Just as Brady went in the 6th round having other teams shaking their heads saying wow we let this guy go 5 rounds for some teams 6 rounds and never picked him...Same thing with teams wonderring How did we let Montana go to the Niners in the 3rd round why didnt we pick him in the 1st?
Share 49ersWebzone