Originally posted by mrgneissguy:Originally posted by Ceadderman:Originally posted by jcs:Originally posted by Ceadderman:Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
Based off of what you see on tape, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to see Nate at least challenge Alex in camp. My wife is one of those half way fans that pays attention to football only because i do, but she said one of the truest things I have herd in a long time when talking about Alex Smith. She asked why does it seem like whenever Alex has to throw the ball beyond 30 yards it always looks like a Hail Mary?
I had to pause and laugh a bit because she was dead on. After watching Nate throw, it is very easy to say that Alex does not have an NFL arm. Nate throws the ball 40 yards effortlessly on the run not setting his feet, while Alex has to set is feet and step into it with all his might to get the ball beyond 40 yards and when he does throw it it has a hang time of a punt. I can think of 3 or 4 times this season the Crabs was sent streaking or on deep ins that Alex under threw on.
If he knows the Offense then Nate should have shot at competing with Alex in the off season.
If your wife is a halfway fan. Then she probably doesn't know anything about what a Hail Mary is and probably heard you say it so she's basing her statement on your knowledge. Have her watch 2 or 3 seasons on NCAA ball and then invite her to watch an NFL game with you. I'm not trying to be a jerk at all. It's just that I cringe whenever I see or hear someone expounding on someone with little knowledge says the truest thing they ever hear.
~Ceadder
Smith can't throw the deep ball with any constancy. He might get lucky every once in a while but he's not a deep pass QB...which is sketchy because he is only really productive in the shotgun.
You DO realize I only talk about Smith if it's relevant to the conversation right? Let's not get into a pissin match over the two kay? Cause this is fast becoming the replacement thread for Hill v. Smith.
I think I did state that I like Davis. But you're speaking in subjective assumptions about how much better he is than Alex. You aren't showing me anything to back your claim up. And make no mistake about it. The highlight video is HIGHLIGHTS no complete footage. Notice how ALL the passes ARE completed. What about the ones that he DIDN'T complete? Cause I know for a fact that he did not complete all his throws.
The point still is that Nate has alot of upside. I do agree that he should the very LEAST be in competition for the #2 spot. That is the natural progression for a late round QB. Put your time in and you CAN eventually be a Starter. Whether by hard work or injury. You STILL gotta put your time in. Nothing is just handed to you. Shaun is a perfect example of that. So too is Tom Brady. Sometimes it takes forever. And then sometimes you blink and BAM your number is called on game day 1 quarter or less into the ball game.
Nate imho at THIS TIME is no better nor worse than Smith. He is young and will get his chances. That's all that any of us can hope for.
~Ceadder
Bold and italics added by me for emphasis. Here's the question...at THIS TIME, he is no worse than Smith. Yet Smith has been in the league 5 years, albeit injured a decent portion of that. Davis has been in the league for 1 year, got very few reps in the pre-season because of the QB competition between Smith and Hill, and has played very little, if any, at QB in practice this season, as Hill and then Smith were getting all the reps. Yet at THIS TIME, he is no worse than Smith. With a fraction of the reps, with his learning disability supposedly slowing his ability to learn the offense, with this being his rookie season, you have just stated he is equal to Alex Smith. So then why is it so absurd to think he could possibly start sometime next year?
If they are equal at this time (no better, no worse...your words), I would think logic would dictate that the younger guy would be the one you would want to take over. I mean, if he can equal Smith with all those things going against him, imagine what he can do with some reps.
Excellent points all. By next camp. he should at the very least, get an extended look to see what he's assimilated. The physical skills are undeniable and it seems the instinctive or intangible parts are probably superior to Smith's. So, what's the problem then with getting a good look?
If your wife is a halfway fan. Then she probably doesn't know anything about what a Hail Mary is and probably heard you say it so she's basing her statement on your knowledge. Have her watch 2 or 3 seasons on NCAA ball and then invite her to watch an NFL game with you. I'm not trying to be a jerk at all. It's just that I cringe whenever I see or hear someone expounding on someone with little knowledge says the truest thing they ever hear.








