LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 509 users in the forums

49ers likely to play Eagles in London and lose a home game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
The only positive from this is Eagles fans won't fill up the Stick. Last few times they've played in SF they have come out in full force and been louder than 9er fans. What I want to know is if the NFL wants to promote the game overseas, why send the 49ers? Are they hoping to cater to the soccer fans by sending a team that has the best punter in the league?

The 49ers are probably one of the top 5 supported UK sides behind Patriots and alongside the Dolphins, Bears, Redskins, Raiders, Cowboys and Packers.

Anyone who was any good in the 80's would be strongly represented here which was when we first started to see the game screened on TV.

If it was the 49ers Cowboys, Wembley would be 50/50 split, no question. With the Eagles, there's a good chance we can turn it into a home game, we need you Bay Area guys here in force to make it happen though.

You are now in charge of the crowd like that fireman fan in the NY Jets stadium. Make sure the fans get buck wild in there !

If it gets me a VIP trip to a game like Chad Ochocinco gave to him this week then I'm up for that!
Originally posted by 9ersnation:
I thought we played Philly on the road?

I thought both teams that play internationally play "Road" games but one team is home and one away. I think we are slated to be the home team.

But that's a very rough educated guess. This way nobody loses a home game and revenue.

What ticks me off is that it's US. Soon as we make any kind of headway the league seems to find a way to screw us. Pathetic.

~Ceadder
The only way it can work is if it's in conjunction with their bye week...otherwise, it's a major disruption, especially for the Niners because of the distance and time difference involved. For East Coast teams, it's basically a 5-hr difference...for the Niners it's 8, and trust me, that's a lot. I've lived in Europe for most of this decade and have made the trip from the West Coast a number of times.

This is Goodell trying to export the NFL overseas...even though they draw well at Wembley Stadium, the king of sports in Europe is and always will be what we call soccer and they call football. It's the same as the NFL in the U.S...soccer's made some in-roads, but it'll never hold a candle to the NFL. Same deal in reverse over here.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
The only West Coast team to make the trip was the Chargers in '08 and they asked to have a game scheduled on the East Coast the week prior to the London game, which was granted (Buffalo). This is significant in the planning and something I would expect to happen again as it essentially makes post game travel similar to what it would be when returning from an East Coast game.

Example

From the East Coast '10 opponents they could play Atlanta or Carolina on the Sunday, travel immediately after the game and arrive in the UK Monday morning giving them the best part of a week to acclimatise and not be too much disruption to their regular working schedule.

Check out this article on the San Diego preparation

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081015/news_1n15chargers.html

I would think this is a standard approach for West Coast Teams and that they would not follow the approach taken by the Pats and Bucs this year who arrived on the Thursday morning and Friday evening UK time prior to the game.
Playing on the East Coast helps...but should be in conjunction with their bye week, so when they're done playing, they have a bye next.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Playing on the East Coast helps...but should be in conjunction with their bye week, so when they're done playing, they have a bye next.

I am 100% certain this will be the case. It has been for all 6 Teams that have played in the International Series the last 3 years and is practically an unwritten rule.
we have a road game @OAK, which is literally like a home game. players sleep in their own beds, alot of Niner fans will be there, Raiders stink and wont require too much effort to beat, etc.

so technically we get that home game back. chill out guys.
  • 49erTone
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Niners99:
we have a road game @OAK, which is literally like a home game. players sleep in their own beds, alot of Niner fans will be there, Raiders stink and wont require too much effort to beat, etc.

Actually the Raider game is at the Stick, not at the Coliseum
The only positive from this is Eagles fans won't fill up the Stick. Last few times they've played in SF they have come out in full force and been louder than 9er fans. What I want to know is if the NFL wants to promote the game overseas, why send the 49ers? Are they hoping to cater to the soccer fans by sending a team that has the best punter in the league?

The 49ers are probably one of the top 5 supported UK sides behind Patriots and alongside the Dolphins, Bears, Redskins, Raiders, Cowboys and Packers.

Anyone who was any good in the 80's would be strongly represented here which was when we first started to see the game screened on TV.

If it was the 49ers Cowboys, Wembley would be 50/50 split, no question. With the Eagles, there's a good chance we can turn it into a home game, we need you Bay Area guys here in force to make it happen though.

You are now in charge of the crowd like that fireman fan in the NY Jets stadium. Make sure the fans get buck wild in there !

Even Springsteen couldn't make London fans go wild!
Originally posted by English:

London fans are too busy getting pissed on Fosters and thinking it's cool to do a (Mexican) "Wave"

Originally posted by 49erTone:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Actually the Raider game is at the Stick, not at the Coliseum

eh crap, youre right.

i couldve sworn it was @OAK. well that sucks. we better have it before a BYE.

they should give us an east coast game the week before, then we can fly out of the east coast to London for the game, have a bye the next week, and then a home game the week after the bye. that sounds fair.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame

I know the NFL wants to expand it's audience and develop an international following, but I dont agree with it, not in this day and age when terrorism and violence dominates the headlines, if I was Dr York I wouldnt want my team at risk and traveling overseas.... I know I will get flamed for saying it, but enough of the games overseas, pre season maybe?, but please knock it off, we shouldnt have to sacrifice a home game, it's bulls**t IMO
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I know the NFL wants to expand it's audience and develop an international following, but I dont agree with it, not in this day and age when terrorism and violence dominates the headlines, if I was Dr York I wouldnt want my team at risk and traveling overseas.... I know I will get flamed for saying it, but enough of the games overseas, pre season maybe?, but please knock it off, we shouldnt have to sacrifice a home game, it's bulls**t IMO

Consider yourself flamed!
Originally posted by English:

London fans are too busy getting pissed on Fosters and thinking it's cool to do a (Mexican) "Wave"

What's wrong with a "Mexican" wave?!?!? And who told you it originated in Mexico?

Origins of the Wave

In fact, you wont live a true fan experience until you go to a Mexican soccer game! Think of a college Football game X5!

Viva Mexico Cabrones!!!
Share 49ersWebzone