There are 159 users in the forums

49ers likely to play Eagles in London and lose a home game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The only positive from this is Eagles fans won't fill up the Stick. Last few times they've played in SF they have come out in full force and been louder than 9er fans. What I want to know is if the NFL wants to promote the game overseas, why send the 49ers? Are they hoping to cater to the soccer fans by sending a team that has the best punter in the league?
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
The only positive from this is Eagles fans won't fill up the Stick. Last few times they've played in SF they have come out in full force and been louder than 9er fans. What I want to know is if the NFL wants to promote the game overseas, why send the 49ers? Are they hoping to cater to the soccer fans by sending a team that has the best punter in the league?

Why did the NFL send the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this year, everyone knew they would be a really bad team and yet the NFL sent them as one of the two teams to repersent them overseas
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Thats great we can only win at home but we give up a home game. Pure genius by the front office. If you think we suck when were on the road wait till we travel to london just to get our asses kicked
They should not have an east coast team play a west coast team in London. The flight and time change is way worse for the west coast team. Absolutely stupid.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
This would be a BAD decision by Jed or whoever makes the decision not only lose a home game, but tire out your players with such a long flight and time change.

I wonder if there is any chance they will put this game right before our (Niners/Eagles) bye week?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
This would be a BAD decision by Jed or whoever makes the decision not only lose a home game, but tire out your players with such a long flight and time change.

I wonder if there is any chance they will put this game right before our (Niners/Eagles) bye week?

I believe the London games have always been before the bye week.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Great! Thanks.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
and to only think, if dallas only lost yesterday, we woulda been playing them.

URRGH

I know, I really want us to play Dallas in San Fran, it's been what 6 years since we played the Cowboys at home...

It will happen in '11. Already scheduled.

Makes you feel any better the Super Bowl is scheduled to be played in Dallas at Jerry World in '11. Imagine how Jerry will feel if the SB is cancelled due to a strike. I think the 12-15 SB are already scheduled.
thats fair, take home games away from a team that only wins at home instead of a playoff team that can win anywhere. thanks roger, you ginger b*****d
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Great! Thanks.

Its one of the things that goes hand in hand with the International Series the teams involves must have their bye week the week following the game in London so it will definitely be the case.

Historically the International Series game usually takes place in Week 7 of the Season so on a positive note at least the 2010 Bye is during the middle of the season.

Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by CainanUK:
Sucks for all my fellow Niners Faithful back in the Bay Area... but it means that I will be able to go see my beloved Niners play for the first time since I moved over here in 2001! I may live here but I am born and bred Bay Area through and through... I will represent!

Hey dude just a question since you live in the UK. Do you think the fans turnout would be more eagles fans than 49ers fans?

I'd be confident that here in the UK, the ratio of 49ers to Eagles fans would be around at least 10 to 1. We need them to all turn out and as few Eagles to make the trip over as possible though and every 49er HAS to make this a home game as every home team so far has failed miserably to convert a neutral crowd, or like last year, there were more Pats than Bucs.

The 49ers are probably one of the top 5 supported UK sides behind Patriots and alongside the Dolphins, Bears, Redskins, Raiders, Cowboys and Packers.

Anyone who was any good in the 80's would be strongly represented here which was when we first started to see the game screened on TV.

If it was the 49ers Cowboys, Wembley would be 50/50 split, no question. With the Eagles, there's a good chance we can turn it into a home game, we need you Bay Area guys here in force to make it happen though.
[ Edited by BrianUKNiner on Jan 5, 2010 at 1:29 AM ]
As a season ticket holder, I'm sorta pissed about losing a home game. From a financial point of view, I can see why the ownership would want to do this. From what I've read, the teams playing make a boatload off of these games.
oh well, im excited
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:

The 49ers are probably one of the top 5 supported UK sides behind Patriots and alongside the Dolphins, Bears, Redskins, Raiders, Cowboys and Packers.

Anyone who was any good in the 80's would be strongly represented here which was when we first started to see the game screened on TV.

If it was the 49ers Cowboys, Wembley would be 50/50 split, no question. With the Eagles, there's a good chance we can turn it into a home game, we need you Bay Area guys here in force to make it happen though.

You are now in charge of the crowd like that fireman fan in the NY Jets stadium. Make sure the fans get buck wild in there !
Share 49ersWebzone