LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 342 users in the forums

Mediocrity

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is this team content with being mediocre? Are the 49ers becoming another Houston Texans type team? How many 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons are we going to endure? I understand many of you believe that we are getting better, and that we have a good shot at the playoffs next year if we have some consistency headed into next season, but should that be what we are striving for?

I dont want a team that barely makes the playoffs. I want a superbowl team. I want a team that can blowout opponents. I want a team that is in the top 5 in the power rankings. I want the 80's and 90's all over again.

Does this team have what it takes to go to the superbowl? I dont think so. I think the 49ers are headed toward being an average to a slightly above average team. Just look at the Philly game. Just look at how far this team is from becoming a contender. I don't think another year will get us to the level of Philadelphia, or Indianapolis, or the Packers for that matter.

What we need is complete overhaul with keeping a few key players. If not, we are looking at mediocrity for the next few years.
We need to clean house starting at the top
I'd like to bring in a veteran in the offseason who has been on a lot of playoff teams, maybe even a guy who's won a Super Bowl.

This team is an offensive line away from being a contender, but I still think this team needs to learn how to win.

I don't know what type of guys would be out there in the offseason.
With this ownership homie you might aswell give up on looking for the 80's or 90's to come back.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Is this team content with being mediocre? Are the 49ers becoming another Houston Texans type team? How many 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons are we going to endure? I understand many of you believe that we are getting better, and that we have a good shot at the playoffs next year if we have some consistency headed into next season, but should that be what we are striving for?

I dont want a team that barely makes the playoffs. I want a superbowl team. I want a team that can blowout opponents. I want a team that is in the top 5 in the power rankings. I want the 80's and 90's all over again.

Does this team have what it takes to go to the superbowl? I dont think so. I think the 49ers are headed toward being an average to a slightly above average team. Just look at the Philly game. Just look at how far this team is from becoming a contender. I don't think another year will get us to the level of Philadelphia, or Indianapolis, or the Packers for that matter.

What we need is complete overhaul with keeping a few key players. If not, we are looking at mediocrity for the next few years.

You say look at the Philly game, and it shows we aren't at that level.

Now i say look at the Colts game. You can't look at one or two games and say we are or not contenders. Some teams match up better with one another.

Now i am not saying next year we will be an elite team, but i do think we will be an above average team and NFC West Champs.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by lamontb:
With this ownership homie you might aswell give up on looking for the 80's or 90's to come back.

So true, sad bad true.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I'd like to bring in a veteran in the offseason who has been on a lot of playoff teams, maybe even a guy who's won a Super Bowl.

This team is an offensive line away from being a contender, but I still think this team needs to learn how to win.

Helllooooo. This is our main concern. Well, and our slow, terrible (besides Spencer) secondary. Mankins 2010!

This. A free agent winner to play offensive tackle or guard would be ideal. Also, finishing 8-8 this year would be huge psychologically. Winning is a habit as is losing.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Helllooooo. This is our main concern. Well, and our slow, terrible (besides Spencer) secondary. Mankins 2010!

Which I would expect to be addressed (and I think Forester should be let go). If McCloughan doesn't, I think he should be fired.

Originally posted by socalniner:
We need to clean house starting at the top

key words

Those great 49er teams had front offices that other teams wanted and raided every year. Now our front office is a joke and you haven't seen anyone from there linked to jobs with other teams. There's a reason for the lack of interest.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Those great 49er teams had front offices that other teams wanted and raided every year. Now our front office is a joke and you haven't seen anyone from there linked to jobs with other teams. There's a reason for the lack of interest.

How about all the OC's that were taken from us.......?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

How about all the OC's that were taken from us.......?

I don't think it comes down to OCs. Look at a Norv Turner offense with real talent. The Chargers have a great offense under Turner. Now look at Turner with the 49ers. Mediocre. The problem is not as simple as just "coaching" It comes down to talent. This team is simply not very talented except in a few positions. It all starts from the top.
Share 49ersWebzone