There are 168 users in the forums

Our inability to evaluate talent

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I believe this has been a major problem with our team. All season we have struggled with our kick and punt returners ( I believe that we lost the Texans game and Seahawks game because of our horrible return play). After releasing Rossum, everything seemed to go downhill. Michael Spurlock was a speedy player who we did not use in our punt/kick returns. Well he was picked up by Tampa Bay and ended up returning a punt for a touchdown today. Why did our coaching staff not use him to return punts????? Instead, we use Arnaz Battle and Brandon Jones. They have contribute to our league leading 7 fumbles on kick/punt returnts. These kind of things are just unacceptable. We need to get better at evaluating talent!
We have the worst staff I've ever seen at evaluating talent. But you must consider the Yorks got a bargain priced coaching staff as well. So in that way they are the envy of the league.
Why the hell would we keep Battle instead of Spurlock!? These decisions just dont make sense to me.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have the worst staff I've ever seen at evaluating talent. But you must consider the Yorks got a bargain priced coaching staff as well. So in that way they are the envy of the league.

You and I seem to be the only ones claiming the staff was assembled with the #1 priority being low salary. I think all the other zoners are in denial. Just ask yourself how may other teams were after the likes of Scottie, Mike, and Jimmy.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You and I seem to be the only ones claiming the staff was assembled with the #1 priority being low salary. I think all the other zoners are in denial. Just ask yourself how may other teams were after the likes of Scottie, Mike, and Jimmy.

Scot is the walking embodiment of the peter principle. We laugh at Al Davis but at least he was good at it once upon a time. MehCloughan never was.
The GM needs to go! No more debate. And please take Alex with you Scot.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:

I think Alex could make a good #2, I would keep him.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:

I think Alex could make a good #2, I would keep him.

I would agree with you if it weren't that the expectations and bust label are always going to haunt him and this team. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Why the hell would we keep Battle instead of Spurlock!? These decisions just dont make sense to me.

everyone was calling for spurlocks head earlier this season...

Even though It sucks that it was with a different team, it was good to see Spurlock running back a punt for a TD today with the bucs.
Myself and many others claimed Battle was useless to our team. We were called unappreciative and haters by Battle supporters. Some dumb posters threw stats that Battle was leading our team in receptions before he got hurt. It didn't matter that he wasn't leading in yards and did not have a single TD. It didn't matter that Jason Hill did way more with less opportunities. These dumb posters claimed he wasn't injury prone, was still effective, solid and was a warrior. LOL, as if other football players aren't warriors.

Originally posted by kronik:
Myself and many others claimed Battle was useless to our team. We were called unappreciative and haters by Battle supporters. Some dumb posters threw stats that Battle was leading our team in receptions before he got hurt. It didn't matter that he wasn't leading in yards and did not have a single TD. It didn't matter that Jason Hill did way more with less opportunities. These dumb posters claimed he wasn't injury prone, was still effective, solid and was a warrior. LOL, as if other football players aren't warriors.

True
Originally posted by kstolai:

True

cosigned
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

True

cosigned

Not to mention when they defended him for being a punt returner and "useful" in ST. ugghnnn
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

True

cosigned

Not to mention when they defended him for being a punt returner and "useful" in ST. ugghnnn

To give him credit, he did down 2 punts today within the 5-yd line. But, yes I agree, we should have kept Spurlock and dropped Battle, especially after seeing what Spurlock did against New Orealns today
I really believe next year is our year! If Alex doesn't come out throwing darts after a training camp as undisputed starter and with plenty of reps with Crabtree and Co. i will personally call for his head and say enough is enough Alex,just GO!
Share 49ersWebzone