There are 229 users in the forums

Barrows: 49ers offense too easy to read

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
You almost never see this take any shots down the field.

Alex is supposed to have a stronger arm then Shaun Hill, they why dont they ever throw and bombs.

Show me a receiver with speed and then maybe we will.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Alex is supposed to have a stronger arm then Shaun Hill, they why dont they ever throw and bombs.

I thought Brandon Jones is supposed to be a burner.

True... the 2009 49ers were supposed to be a lot of things. :(

Also, need good protection to throw deep in the NFL. Another Alexuse I know.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

True... the 2009 49ers were supposed to be a lot of things. :(

Also, need good protection to throw deep in the NFL. Another Alexuse I know.

Yes the list is endless.
like my profile says, "if only jimmy raye played madden, i would beat the living crap out of him"
One thing in particular that I noticed about Raye's scheme is that one 3rd and long, the defense usually brings an extra defender from the edge and the WR or TE from the side from which the defender is coming from becomes the hot read and simply runs a 3 yard route and so the conversion fails.

I've seen this happen again and again. It's very frustrating to watch.

-9fA
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

I'm amazed that that seam route to VD ever works anymore. We run that all day long. I also can't believe that Gore is still getting yardage with the guards pulling. It seems to be the only running play we run.

the past two games that seam route to VD has stopped working, we tried it against ARI and it got tipped

we tried it against the Eagles and it got picked - if you do it too many times teams are going to gameplan against it, at least the good ones will...somehow we haven't learned that yet
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
One thing in particular that I noticed about Raye's scheme is that one 3rd and long, the defense usually brings an extra defender from the edge and the WR or TE from the side from which the defender is coming from becomes the hot read and simply runs a 3 yard route and so the conversion fails.

-9fA

EXACTLY!!! DING DING DING!!! I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Why ask the WR to run a 3 yard route??? So confusing. Shouldn't the call be to the WRs that they adjust their route to get the 1st down? Totally confused.

Its Alex Smith's inabilities more so. Take a look at the last 2 games (Arizona and Philly). I have NFL game rewind, so I watch the games repeatedly....

In the Arizona game, we came out swinging with Alex Smith throwing ALOT of intermediate passes and downfield, but Smith was actually struggling and off. Basically, Smith was off target in the first few series. After a few series, you can sense that the play calling changed to short routes where the QB would just dump it off to the RB or to the WR running 0-3 yard routes.

Also, like someone said already, when Smith is in Shotgun, almost 80-90% of the time, its going to be a pass play. When Smith is under center, its more likely to be a handoff to Gore.

-9fA

EXACTLY!!! DING DING DING!!! I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Why ask the WR to run a 3 yard route??? So confusing. Shouldn't the call be to the WRs that they adjust their route to get the 1st down? Totally confused.

Yes this offense never seems to try & dictate to what the defense is gonna do. We never take advantage of what a defense trys to do to us!
~ Run up middle with Gore.
~ Throw down middle with VD.
~ Run crossing route with Crabtree.

Yup pretty easy to read and plan for. It's the same plays over and over.

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Disgusting.

And we're keeping this fool another year like "continuity" itself will take us to the Promise Land. Worst news realizing this guy will retain his job as O.C.

You can include Alex in that statement as well.

-9fA

I believe the WR or TE only runs a 3 yard route because of the timing. The time that the defender takes to reach QB only allows for a short 3 yard route to be run.

But bloody hell, implement another way to beat the blitz for the 1st down...

-9fA
So are Alex's throws. Ask Asante Samuel.
can not disagree with him at all.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Whatever, '10 playoffs or bust for all of them.

how many chances are these clowns gonna get, its like we say playoffs or bust every year, this offense hasn't had good play calling since norv turner was here, no imagination from old jimmy raye.
Share 49ersWebzone